Day 1 - OMG!

Vikings1

So I'm starting W30 today. Had my first WOD this morning and just got done with a breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs w/ mushrooms, half avocado and half grapefruit. Did I east too much, too little? Any advice for this newbie would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. How much H2O am I supposed to drink/day?

I think the idea is to eat till you feel satiated but not stuffed if you can go till lunch on what you ate this morning then you are about right I think, I've been doing primal since May and keep falling off the wagon because I don't know if I'm doing it right then I found this and I'm cleaning up my act hoping that I get a better result I'm not over weight but want to loose a few pounds cuz I feel better a bit lighter. But I haven't seen any of the drastic weight loss that everyone keeps talking about

I would recommend checking out the meal template, and make sure all your meals fit that!

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

After a workout, you need a postWO meal of a meal sized portion of lean protein, and starchy vegie carbs with little to no fat. You'd have this immediately after training, then your next proper meal a bit after. You need this extra fuel to help with recovery and refueling - avoiding fat is important as you want to get the nutrients in as quick as possible and fat slows this process.

In terms of the meal you ate, I'd go for 3-4 eggs. A serve is as many as you can hold in you outstretched fingers. Every meal should have 2-3 cups of vegies. Your fat was great, and fruit is fine with a meal as long as it's not pushing vegies off your plate.

Many people find a more substantial breakfast sets them up for better satisfaction (less hunger) throughout the day - more so than trying to make up for a smaller breakfast with a big lunch.

You may need to take some time working out appropriate portions - snacking is discouraged, but if you get absolutely starving during the day have a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies instead of fruit and nuts. Adjust your meal sizes the next day, especially in relation to protein and fat if this happens to try and avoid the hunger :)

Only you know how much you should consume! I agree with Amber to look at the template, but try and listen to your body. If you can get from breakfast to lunch without hunger pains (read: hunger pains, not bored cravings!!!) then you are eating enough!

Remember, this ain't weight watchers. At no point should you feel hungry outside of meal time. If you do feel hungry, make sure you are actually HUNGRY (for food) and not CRAVING (for sugar)! 

Re: how much water? Keep a big bottle of water with you and drink when you're thirsty. If you're not thirsty, don't drink. Don't set too much store by number of ounces or glasses - every body is different. Its remarkable how much we are conditioned to think there is one set of principles we all must follow for health! When I first started the whole30 I wanted so badly for a calorie number of macronutrient ratio range but they wouldn't give me one - it turns out, none of that crap matters. Numbers are kind of pointless here!

• 2 weeks later...

Wait so I'm supposed to have the much veggies lol. I have protein, veggies, fruit and possible fat. I would say my veggies never exceed a cup to two but that seems to satisfy me. Why does it seem like there are such scientific technicalities on w30?

Wait so I'm supposed to have the much veggies lol. I have protein, veggies, fruit and possible fat. I would say my veggies never exceed a cup to two but that seems to satisfy me. Why does it seem like there are such scientific technicalities on w30?

There should be no "possible" fat, there needs to be protein, fat and vegies with every single meal. Perhaps fruit. 5-9 cups of fresh produce per day is recommended just to maintain good health, so 2-3 cups per meal will see you reach this target.

When I say possible fat.. Im just guessing.. Obviously whatever I cook in protein in is a fat and if not that, I will add a fat but see I thought the meal was based around protein, veggies and fruit always.. Yes fat too but I thought it optional or limited like nuts and such.. But you say perhaps fruit like fruits and option.. I was led to believe you definitely have fruit with every meal

When I say possible fat.. Im just guessing.. Obviously whatever I cook in protein in is a fat and if not that, I will add a fat but see I thought the meal was based around protein, veggies and fruit always.. Yes fat too but I thought it optional or limited like nuts and such.. But you say perhaps fruit like fruits and option.. I was led to believe you definitely have fruit with every meal

The meal template outlines exactly what your meal should include:

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Cooking fat or fat in meat doesn't really count - add 1-2 serves of fat as outlined on the template.

It's hard to accept after all the brainwashing we've all been through for the last 40 years, but fat is good, and in order for paleo/Whole30 to work its magic, we need to eat it. If you don't eat enough fat, you will find yourself getting hungry between meals. As you read through the forum, you will be amazed at how many times the answer to a person's question is: Eat more fat!  :lol:

On the bolded part, err, no.  It's protein, veggies, fat, and possible fruit.  You read the two words (fruit and fat) reversed.  Always protein, veggies, and fat.  Fruit also possible (as long as it doesn't push veggies off your plate, replace a dessert habit, or awaken a sugar dragon).

Eat up! 

I always shoot for at least 2 cups veg per meal, along with my protein and fat. Fruit, if I have it, is a garnish--some berries or grapes in a salad-like a palm full if fresh, a thumbs worth if dry (1T). I love veggies, so I have no problem getting them in! 2-3 cups--like spinach and mushrooms with 3 eggs in ghee with fresh tomatoes on the side, or egg or tuna salad scooped up with celery sticks and cucumber slices as examples of meal 1, meal 2 typically is some kind of HUGE salad (I recently picked up a salad bowl just for lunches--a bright yellow 3 qt bowl) with protein, fat in the form of home made dressing, olives, avo and the like. Meal 3 is usually a protein, 2 vegg such as sauteed kale and chard or other group of greens, roast sweet potato or other veg and quite often a salad. And yes- fats! Fats the protein is cooked in, salad dressings--usually homemade mayo based, olives, avo, roasted veg cooked in virgin coconut oil and drizzled with avocado or olive oil at the end. Fat==YUM in my book. 

Archived