Snacks SOS!

Hi,

I'm on day four and so far so good - I've felt tired, grumpy and bloated just as expected. However I'm worried I'm not getting it right when it comes to snacks. I'm happy with the three meals a day model, but when I'm out and about for hours, I need something nutritious in my bag to keep me going until I'm back in the kitchen. So, what's a great snack? Coconut flakes and olives? Are nuts okay on their own?  

All suggestions welcome, thank you!

Jo.  

Snacking is discouraged - you should be eating enough at each meal to satisfy you from one to the next.

If you're starving between meals though, a mini meal of protein fat and vegies is recommended. You could pack a HB egg and some vegie sticks?

THIS is probably my biggest stumbling block.  It involves preparation.  Usually, I think I have it handled and life intervenes... and then I'm left without my protein snack and I go for what I can grab and what *feels good* (typically nuts, coconut, and dried fruits and dark chocolate).  It is too easy to eat WAY to much of that mix.

Hard boiling some eggs this morning!  

You could also stick a small tin of (compliant) tuna in oil in your bag if you wanted something other than eggs :) plain vegies would probably be easy to find if you got stuck out with nothing, and if you can't get any, a protein/fat snack is better than going for the sugary stuff.

There are plenty of good snack ideas (jerky and carrot sticks, hard boiled eggs, etc) but as Amber said, try to eat enough at your meal so you can make it to the next meal. I actually made snacks the first week of my whole30 and by day 4 or 5 was shocked and surprised to find I did not need them because I was (finally, for the first time) getting enough protein and fat at mealtime. 

Archived