Started 1st November, intro & commitment

sairzey

Hi! I'm a newbie to the forums, but it says introduce yourself and commit to the Whole30 here... so here goes...

I'm Sarah, 43, from London, UK. I'm on Day 4 and would love to meet other members, get any support, tips or advice from everyone. Thanks!

Hi Sarah, Jackie and Ysabell,

Hope you're all still sticking with things.

I'm in the UK too (Wales) and did a W30 back in April and am started a second W30 on the 1st as well.

I started on 1st November also and I am in South Wales although would much rather be in London as I am sure I would have far more food choices - even Abel & Cole won't deliver to me!  :)

Have a look at Riverford (http://www.riverford.co.uk/), they deliver boxes in the Vale at least.

Excellent more Brits - I found out about this from friends in US so didn't know how well publicised over here!  The only downside being here is that because of the time delay and not being able to access email at work I don't get the daily email until the evening - so don't know what I am supposed to have felt until it is over - maybe that's a bonus actually as no preconceptions!

I am on day 6 and doing really well.  Haven't felt hungry yet and rarely need to eat between meals which is amazing for me as I am a snacker, particularly in the evening.  I had a low key headache day 2 but as I had one day minus 1 didn't know if related. I took a paracetamol and nothing since .

I haven't had any bad reactions yet - no urge to kill anyone or anything and can't quite believe I will have done a week tomorrow.  I did use the website theclothesmakethegirl and did that whole batch cooking thing on day 1. All I have been eating really is reheating stuff from tupperwares in the fridge and not being very adventurous.  I have had the mexican dipping sauce she mentions as a staple addition to everything - stir frys or salads.  I have a hubby and 2 teenage boys who would not eat like this so I have told them I am cooking for myself for November (hubby is the main cook at the moment so not too bad for them)

I know this is turning into an essay but might as well carry on.  My reasons for doing this (apart from the fact that I would like to lose about a stone or so to get to my happy weight) is that I think I am (was) a sugar addict - such a sweet tooth and I would like to get away from that. Also feeling quite low for no known reason so hoping it might stimulate me mentally and energetically

Please let me know your updates on how you are finding it and why you are doing this.

Stay strong

Jackie

Hi everyone! So nice to find others doing the Whole30 here in the UK.

Jackie - it sounds like you're doing really well - keep going!

I'm actually only officially on day 7, but I did it about 90% for a week before I really started. Like you Jackie, I cooked up a whole load of batches for that week and found that much easier to stick to it that way. Unfortunately, last weekend was a busy one for me, so I didn't manage to do much prep or cooking. I really do think that's a big key to success, so will make sure I batch-cook going forward.

I have found it ok so far. Not too many cravings. My reason for doing this is primarily weight loss, but after reading the book, I'm really comitted to changing my relationship with food and giving my body a chance to heal and 'reset' itself.

I feel much better 'in myself', with more energy, which is spurring me on to keep going.

I passed my first, big Whole30 test yesterday... I had a really stressful day at work (which meant I wanted a glass of wine) and then I had to go to a work evening event, with free food and drink. I managed to politely refuse all off the canapes and drink only water. This was a major victory for me and it has really given me hope that I'm starting to break old bad habits and prioritise my health and wellbeing.

How is everyone else doing?

Sarah

Hi, I'm on day 4, again :lol: I started last week but had a bit of a moment over the weekend. I did a full whole30 in January, then again round June/July i did about 27 + 14 days (i got glutened at a meal out), & I've been on & off ever since. I'm not quite ready to "ride my own bike", whenever i try i just end up bingeing on Dairy Milk, so I'm here for another go. I may do 30 days, maybe more, maybe less :D Psychologically, i find it easiest to tell myself I'm doing a whole30 rather than trying to just keep Paleo. I've just got into the sleep the sleep of the righteous part, which is lovely!

Health is primarily my reasons for doing this with weight loss a bonus. I've been following a real food lifestyle for some time but I find its good to try a different approach and having come through a really stressful few months I think a good session of healing may helped me considerably.

Excellent event surviving skills there Sarah, I do believe coping with these get easier over time. I'm envying the Hubby that cooks Jackie, I cook for my other half and my 13 year old son - but to be fair they just have what I make, my son does still have some dark chocolate and almond milk hot chocolate which I whisk coconut oil into but don't tell him as he is getting a bit fat phobic thanks to his 'herbalife' dad!

Currently suffering with my psoriasis and a bit of a breakout but I am hoping that is a detox rather than a sign I may need to consider the more AIP approach! Enjoyed the batch cooking (especially the batch of ratatouille that my mum made me when she was babysitting last week!). I have added a food processor to my Christmas list as I can only see sweet potato hash being even better without grated fingers.

Nicola

Sarah - well done on your stressful day and social occasion.  I haven't let myself get into a social situation yet but am not looking forward to it.  My inlaws are coming to stay next (not this) weekend so that will be a real test on a number of levels.

Roz - I am trying to not think Paleo or diet (I cannot stick to diets!).  This is a 30 day challenge for me.

Ysabell - hopefully it is just early days of your body cleaning out and your psoriasis and break out will improve.

I think I might have had a mini kill day today, just a few days late.  I was fine until I got home after a long day in the office and for what was probably a minor reason I flew off the handle at everyone.

So I got back from a meeting today and my colleague who knew it might be a difficult meeting had left a crunchie on my desk for me with a note to say hope it went well and thank crunchie it's nearly friday.  I haven't told anyone at work about the Whole30.  It was a lovely gesture and this time last week would have been very welcome.  I resisted and have hidden it at the back of my drawer for other times (ssh don't tell me where it is)

Day 7 and just about to hit the completed link. I hope everyone else's day has gone OK..or if not tell us and we can support you. Tomorrow is second big shopping and batch cooking day (i have a home study day)

Hi all, a fellow November 1st starter here in Southeastern Alabama, US. This week has been a bit hectic (but it's my second time through this rodeo, so not too terribly surprising) but I'm feeling fantastic.

I started this time with a horrible cold...and knew that it would get better quickly with a good eating scheme. I was right - I was sick (like legitimately need-to-take-medicine-or-I-won't-sleep sick) Sunday and by Wednesday was off all meds. Hooray, improved immune system (I've been fighting that one off since I got my flu shot on October 22nd). 

My reasons for doing this Whole(whatever) is that I fell down the slippery slope called sweets pretty badly after my first one ended and hubby came home. I'm a big gift person, so if he had to do the grocery shopping, he'd come home with Glutino Oreos or chocolates. Dessert (mostly peanut butter M&Ms) after every dinner, and plenty of snacking between getting home from work and dinner. It's so easy to fall into those old ways! 

I talked to hubby before starting and, while he initially said he'd do it with me, he then decided he meant he'd do it with me at home, and he's already slid back into snacking. BUT at least his meals are 100% compliant, even if his snacks aren't.

This time around, my body is loving the W30. My digestive system isn't 100% super perfect again yet, but with how my clothes are fitting (on the smallest hole on my belt!), it's going well. I know that this is the best way to feed my body...it's just so hard to actually do it full time! I want to be able to enjoy a cider, or a small amount of (gluten-free) dessert with my hubby.

I'm not doing a full 30 this time, as I'm doing Thanksgiving at my in-laws' house on the 27th. I haven't decided if I'll end and reintro before then or if I'll just do W30 as much as possible while I'm there too and not sweat the gluten-free bread (hey, it's not Thanksgiving without my mom's sausage dressing!) or sugar in the cranberry/strawberry sauce (again, my mom's tradition) and pumpkin custard. Thoughts? 

Anyways, enough rambling. I feel great, I really do love eating like this...except when I don't.  :lol:

Just a quick check in. Hope you are all doing well, day 9 already! Things trundling along nicely here, still not really in a ready for anything prep state but getting there slowly - the main issue is including plenty of veg :)

Skin seems to be calming down a little but OH is still a bit windy so I am going to be more mindful of FODMAP for him.

Time to head back out to the kitchen  B)

I went out to a fair tonight. I was compliant, but not template. Smoked turkey leg was all I ate with water, and all hubby had (not W30) was deep fried okra. People gave us weird looks with me eating the meat and him eating the "veg" (it was deep fried!). I felt like a dinosaur. :)

Hi all

Day 11 - how is everybody getting on?

I had a pretty bad day yesterday... I didn't perform well in my WOD, so that put me in a bad mood and then I didn't enjoy my lunch because I had bought different gluten-free sausages than usual and they weren't very nice. In the afternoon, I got really tired, cold and fed up.

Then I looked at the W30 timeline and saw that days 10-11 are the hardest! It may be coincidence, but that gave me hope and when I read that it's during these two days that you're most likely to quit - I became more determined not to quit!

So I just wrapped up warm, had a big (compliant) dinner and an early night. I could really use some help with motivation, or words of wisdom from anyone who has been through this before... any thoughts/advice?

Thanks

Sarah

ps: Ysabell - I love ratatouille - do you have your mother's recipe that she used for your batch?

Hi there

Just checking in

Mrs Stick - well done on that fair - I am still a little scared to dine out but mostly cos our dining out is pubs and I'm not sure how easy it will be to alter the food (not to mention the fact that I don't want to be tempted by cider!)

Sarah - I am so glad you posted.  I haven't read the books but according to the timeline in one of the earlier daily emails I thought I remembered that somewhere between day 11 and 14 the magic was likely to happen..... but i feel so tired this evening - and no let up as have to take the kids to ice hockey practice so no early night for me.  You posting has given me a bit of a push that maybe this is one of the hardest days and also that I am not alone.

Ysabell - no wind :) this side so far - which is actually quite nice because it did happen before after certain foods.  With all the veg I am eating I did expect to be going to the bathroom a bit more than I am though!!!

I think I will go and trawl the threads of people that started earlier to see how these few days affected them!

Sarah - You might have a bit of a slump. But it's nothing you can't do! It feels bad, but just pretend that you're in a competition. I'm competitive enough that I wouldn't give up...but that's just me.

Jackie - Don't be scared - it can be done. You might just not be satisfied mentally with what you eat. Kind of like the other day at lunch, I had a salad with leftover roast on it and hubby had leftover Pad Thai. I was SO not satisfied with my food. I knew I wasn't hungry, but my brain wasn't happy. It was a weird moment, I had a little mini pity party that hubby asked about. He was sorry he caused it, but there wasn't much he could've done. 

Had a bunch of people over for a BBQ last minute (we decided to do it the morning of, and fed probably 15 or so people plus a few baby/toddlers). I made lime/roasted garlic aioli, we did burgers, and I had hubby grill me some portobello mushrooms. I ate probably half a tomato with salt and pepper as a side (it was potluck and while there was a salad, it had cheese I didn't feel like picking off). After dinner I ate a small handful of raw almonds and raisins so I didn't wish I could eat the cakes or leftover Halloween candy sitting there. Water to drink.

I wanted to eat the sides so badly, but tomato with salt and pepper (freshly ground) is AMAZING. I had some this morning with breakfast, I liked it so much.

Also to add - I found compliant bacon! It has three chemical ingredients (sodium nitrite, sodium erythorbate, and sodium phosphate), but they aren't forbidden anywhere I can find. It was at Publix and not that expensive compared to other bacons. Gwantley's brand.

Hi all

It's day 13 now and I'm still doing ok. I really wish I could weigh myself - that might give me some motivation to keep going, if I can see that it's working. But - more important (to me anyway) - is that I finally feel in control of my food... not letting it control me! For as long as I can remember I've been an emotional/comfort eater and it's so nice to finally regain some of the power that food had over me.

Jackie - I can't wait for the 'magic to happen' - I hope it's soon!  ;)

MrsStick - congrats on sticking with the program and overcoming temptation durin gthe BBQ.

Recipe recommendations - I have made Sweet Caveman Pie and Coconut Griddle Cakes from the Civilized Caveman, thoroughly recommend both of them. But I am starting to wonder whether I'm having too many starchy carbs, like sweet potato, rather than green veg? Almost all of my dinners have sweet pot in, so I might try to dial it down and just have protein and other veg.

Just a question on the forums - does anyone have any tips about how to find good threads? I must admit, I haven't spent much time on here (or any other forums, for that matter), but I find it a bit overwhelming. I would really like to tap into this valuable resource of help and support and connect with others going through this experience. Any forum tips? Also, my notifications on this thread seem to have stopped coming through and I'm not sure why? Does anyone use the Whole30 Facebook page to connect with others?

Would love to know how you're getting on...

Stay strong!

Sarah

Hi all

It's day 13 now and I'm still doing ok. I really wish I could weigh myself - that might give me some motivation to keep going, if I can see that it's working. But - more important (to me anyway) - is that I finally feel in control of my food... not letting it control me! For as long as I can remember I've been an emotional/comfort eater and it's so nice to finally regain some of the power that food had over me.

Jackie - I can't wait for the 'magic to happen' - I hope it's soon! ;)

MrsStick - congrats on sticking with the program and overcoming temptation durin gthe BBQ.

Recipe recommendations - I have made Sweet Caveman Pie and Coconut Griddle Cakes from the Civilized Caveman, thoroughly recommend both of them. But I am starting to wonder whether I'm having too many starchy carbs, like sweet potato, rather than green veg? Almost all of my dinners have sweet pot in, so I might try to dial it down and just have protein and other veg.

Just a question on the forums - does anyone have any tips about how to find good threads? I must admit, I haven't spent much time on here (or any other forums, for that matter), but I find it a bit overwhelming. I would really like to tap into this valuable resource of help and support and connect with others going through this experience. Any forum tips? Also, my notifications on this thread seem to have stopped coming through and I'm not sure why? Does anyone use the Whole30 Facebook page to connect with others?

Would love to know how you're getting on...

Stay strong!

Sarah

Did you leave out all the non-compliant ingredients in the recipes? The griddle cakes look awfully like pancakes - perhaps something to save for post-whole 30!

Having a variety of vegies is a good idea - you need nutrients from a range of colours. Try to make a rainbow on your plate :)

Sorry - I'm a forum newbie and can't figure out how to quote in my reply. But this is to amberino21 - yes, I left out the non-compliant ingredients.

The griddle cakes are just shredded coconut and egg, so I figured that would comply, wouldn't it? Ok, so I did think "that's a lot of coconut", but is it still ok?

Hi all, I started my first whole30 on Nov 1 also, so I am on day 13 as well. Feeling really good, but I went to bed thinking about the whole30 and woke up thinking about it as well. It has consumed me. I'm constantly thinking about what I'm making for lunch or dinner. I haven't had any food dreams yet thankfully. Besides the first few days, it hasn't been that hard to stay on board. I did have a day (day 10 or 11) where I just didn't feel like eating anything because nothing that I can have was appealing to me. Going to one of my nearby grocery stores was also tough because it's the place I'd go and get a sushi roll (white rice) and a big fat slice of German chocolate cake for lunch! I will most likely avoid that store for a while, even past my whole30. I'm also planning on doing a whole39, as on day 40 I fly to Maine to visit my family. I WILL have a fried clam roll while I'm back there, and probably have a drink or two a couple nights. Luckily, lobster with clarified butter is compliant - yay!

Liza

Sorry - I'm a forum newbie and can't figure out how to quote in my reply. But this is to amberino21 - yes, I left out the non-compliant ingredients.

The griddle cakes are just shredded coconut and egg, so I figured that would comply, wouldn't it? Ok, so I did think "that's a lot of coconut", but is it still ok?

while the ingredients are compliant, the "griddle cakes" are basically pancakes, which aren't ok during your whole 30. just like banana+egg=pancake is not ok either.

if you want to quote a post, there is a "quote" option at the bottom of the post.

ps: Ysabell - I love ratatouille - do you have your mother's recipe that she used for your batch?

I will ask her when I see her this weekend. I think its is pretty much chopped aubergine, courgette, onion, peppers and sometimes celery pan fried in olive oil then tins of chopped tomato added. Plenty of garlic as well then it just simmers on the stove. Its not the very traditional one but it seems to keep for ages in the fridge.

Sarah it does feel odd not weighing but hopefully when you start to feel better it will become easier.

Keep strong all, nearly halfway through now :)

Day 14 almost halfway through - did have some random food dreams which mainly centred on me eating cake and then being upset I had failed the 30 days! Very bizarre :) I have had some days when the template has not quite been there through meal timings being completely off but I have been trying to ensure the elements are there even if I just grab some chopped raw veggies to eat with the protein and fat. My trousers do feel a bit loser but my skin is still not 100% - will be interesting to see what evolves.

I have just ordered some kefir grains so I am currently trying to find the best coconut milk locally to grown them in as I think the probiotics will be very helpful to all the family - contemplating making a coconut milk and frozen berry smoothie to share between the three of us with breakfast each morning (my own little actimel is what I will tell them lol).

Archived