Diet Soda

kbgrote

Ditto the sparkling water - I used to have a moderate Coke Zero habit and haven't missed it. La Croix is another brand to look for, and Trader Joe's has big bottles in a few flavors.

Kombucha might be good too, but pricier! It's only sold at Whole Foods in my area.

• Moderators

Weaning yourself off something by gradually reducing usage is usually more painful than going cold turkey. The cold turkey approach is traumatic briefly and then you are past it. When you gradually reduce usage, you are frustrated for a very long period before you get past it. The Whole30/Whole9 is a cold turkey culture. :)

Best wishes to you, kbgrote.  You can do this.  Prior to my Whole30 last month, I was drinking 6-12 cans of diet pop per day.  :(  I quit cold turkey.  I would have black coffee in the morning.  In the evenings for my treat, I would have some club soda with a slice of lemon or lime.  In between - lots of water.  I've finished my Whole30, and now I just don't have much desire for pop at all.  I will have maybe a can per week.  Don't even miss it and when I do drink it, sometimes it just doesn't taste that great.

I'm with you and understand. I'm on day 15. Was a diet Pepsi junkie. First couple days were a bit of a challenge but reaching out helped. I had the great advice too that you've also been given to try La Croix. Loads of flavors available. However, I wouldn't recommend them on day one or two. If you do, you'll find them inadequate to replace the flavor (not the bubbles-there's plenty of bubbles). I would recommend loads of regular water for those first couple days. Then on day 4 or so, try one as a break from plain water. I now enjoy them and funny thing, I also find that I crave regular water like I used to diet soda .

I'm not one to put fruit in my water, but when I had a glass of water with cut up pears and cranberries, I thought I was given a true treat. It was aesthetically pleasing and even though taste wasn't much different, it felt indulgent. Good success!

If you're still having your morning coffee.. you won't have to worry about the caffeine withdrawal

That said... I used to have 1-3 Diet Coke's per day and i'm good with seltzer plain (flavored) or with lime/lemon and sometimes with a splash of cranberry juice. 

I used to drink lots of Diet Coke. I tried swapping out with sparkling water (with lime, or even plain) and found that 3/4 of my enjoyment of Coke was the bubbles, LOL! The other 1/4 was the caffeine kick, and really, as people have said above, caffeine withdrawal is over pretty fast. I had heard that carbonated water was bad for teeth, but did some research on that and found out it does NOT harm teeth. So drink your bubbles with a free conscience  :lol: !

There's other threads that talk about this, but we got a SodaStream machine and just skip the additives. Cold sparkling water for much less money and fewer bottles to recycle! (They do make three flavours that I'm pretty sure are compliant, but I can add lemon, lime or berry to the water myself without buying all the packaging. LOL)

Hey, if I can quit my chocolate habit, you can quit a diet soda addiction.   :huh:

Think of it as this:  What the hell is it doing to you if you seriously feel like you cannot do without it.  Chemicals.  That is all diet soda is:  water, sugars and *chemicals*.  Ugh.

Try Kombucha.   GT's Synergy makes a plain version and there are several with minimal fruit sugars (2g) or ginger.  I am assuming that is Whole30?  

• Moderators

Hey, if I can quit my chocolate habit, you can quit a diet soda addiction.   :huh:

Think of it as this:  What the hell is it doing to you if you seriously feel like you cannot do without it.  Chemicals.  That is all diet soda is:  water, sugars and *chemicals*.  Ugh.

Try Kombucha.   GT's Synergy makes a plain version and there are several with minimal fruit sugars (2g) or ginger.  I am assuming that is Whole30?  

Yes, Kombucha is Whole30 compliant, as long as there's no sugar added after fermentation.

Here's what the official Can I Have guide says:

Kombucha: Read your labels

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that's a no-go. Some varieties, like GT Dave's Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.

Yes, Kombucha is Whole30 compliant, as long as there's no sugar added after fermentation.

Here's what the official Can I Have guide says:

Kombucha: Read your labels

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that's a no-go. Some varieties, like GT Dave's Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.

Thanks!  THEY ARE SO GOOD!  I actually cut 1/2 bottle equally with water to make it last longer because of the cost.  I have a customer at work (food co-op) who is going to bring me a scoby from what he was told is a several HUNDRED year old strain for me to try.  I love my job!  I also have a gentleman who is making me some kimchi and another woman who is bringing my some ghee.  I hope they aren't trying to poison me.  haha :unsure:

I just finished my first bottle of Synergy Kombucha Trilogy.  At first the vinegar smell overtook me.  I poured it into a glass and that took that away.  Very yummy. 

I did great with a small diet coke today. I am thinking I can go soda free tomorrow:)

Thanks so much!!!!!!

I just finished my first bottle of Synergy Kombucha Trilogy.  At first the vinegar smell overtook me.  I poured it into a glass and that took that away.  Very yummy. 

I did great with a small diet coke today. I am thinking I can go soda free tomorrow:)

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Sometimes they even have a little residual alcohol from the fermentation... it is my little bit o' heaven to get me through the day.  lol

I was a major diet coke addict for like 15 years until my first W30 in August 2012. Haven't touched one since! If you stick with it it is likely your tastes will change. A few weeks ago I accidentally bought a stevia-sweetened sparkling water drink, thinking it was just plan sparkling water (didn't read the label carefully enough) and I nearly spit it out. It was gross!!

Now when I'm off W30 (which is most of the time these days) and I feel like having a soda, I'll just drink a regular one. But in my post-W30 life I am more sensitive to sugar, and a soda will send me into an unpleasant sugar buzz. So that keeps that habit in check.

Archived