Diet Soda

kbgrote

I loved my diet soda!  We have fridges full of it at the office and I would have at least 3-4 a day (usually more).  I did a whole30 back in Mid May until Mid-June and I have not touched any soda since.  Almost 6 months.  It was pretty tough for a week or 2, I was craving the flavor...but after that I lost the cravings once I got back to the real foods and my tastebuds had resent themselves.  Now I can't imagine having one, it would be way too sweet for me.  It's just a lot of Kombucha, water, coffee, tea, sparking water (regular and naturally flavored etc) and I don't miss the soda at all.  

I will be away in less than 3 weeks in Aruba, and typically I have a large bottle of rum in the room and I buy the coke made with the real sugar and not the artificial sweeteners to mix it with...I have not decided if I will do that this time around or if I will just stick to having the rum on the rocks (that might make for a long nap if i drink a few of those in the sun though)

Thanks. Those are helpful suggestions. What about the caffeine withdrawl?

Call me crazy kbgrote, but what if you make an iced tea out of a black/ caffeinated tea you like-perhaps cinnamon and orange based for sweetness- let it cool and then Add the sparking water. I just made this up reading your post but there may be something there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Your pancreas really can't tell the difference between artificial sweetners and white sugar.  The punch in the pancreas after years of drinking diet sodas takes a toll later in life.   It's best to knock it out of the park while you're young and vibrantly healthy.   It's the sugar hit you  want.  Learn to love plain/mineral water flavored with cucumbers, raspberries, blackberries, lemons, limes or whatever real fruit you decide to add.  Your pancreas and brain chemistry will thank you.

"Diet sodas may alter our gut microbes in a way that increases the risk of metabolic diseases such as Type 2 diabetes." 

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/17/349270927/diet-soda-may-alter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes

• Moderators

Curious to know if everyone who has commented on this post has successfully quit diet soda, or if they've "relapsed"

In my experience, nothing is a substitute and I still crave it BADLY and I'm on day 16.  

I never liked diet soda, but I did used to love Dr Pepper. The cravings should get better, but the biggest thing for me is that when I had some after my W30, it was just way too sweet. I just don't like it as much anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally understand where you're coming from with the caffeine withdrawal.  I recently "gave up coffee" for my New Year's resolution. Yeah RIGHT! I was right back on it in about 2 weeks.  The withdrawal (migraines, fatigue, etc.) usually lasts 2-3 days after quitting cold turkey (and intermittently thereafter).  At least for me it did.

Recently, I've given up coffee for good. (1 month strong) Sometimes I will still have tea or a Coke Zero (I am starting Paleo after my honeymoon in May) in the afternoon but I don't feel this dependence to have something caffeinated like I did before. 

I agree that giving up caffeine cold turkey (with no exposure for at least 2 weeks) was the way to go for me. You have to push the headaches and the fatigue... the yawning at 2pm... the morning cravings... but it is SO worth it.  Now, I feel I can drink a cup of coffee for the taste (even decaf!) without relapsing into this sad world where I'm pinned down by my addiction.  You said it right; it's an addiction.

Don't be taken prisoner by your Diet Coke :) At least that's what "It Starts with Food" would say... I'm on Chapter 4 of that book by Dallas & Melissa.  It's incredibly good.  I've identified my imprisonment foods... Diet Coke, Girl Scout Cookies, & Chili Cheese Fritos. I'm excited to start the Whole30 and figure out how different I feel freed from those imprisonment foods!

Good luck! I feel your pain!

Curious to know if everyone who has commented on this post has successfully quit diet soda, or if they've "relapsed"

In my experience, nothing is a substitute and I still crave it BADLY and I'm on day 16.  

I was not a "multiple Diet Cokes a day" person, but I did drink a lot of Coke Zero. I honestly can't tell you the last time I had one, or a regular Coke either. They just don't taste good anymore. I figured out that what I really liked was the bubbles, so I drink a lot of sparkling water/seltzer. If I want something other than water when I'm out, I get an unsweet tea.

If you're stuck in a corner with coffee, tea or diet anything  (refreshment table -meetings)... coffee/tea trumps diet sodas for the pancreas/blood sugar hit.   My WW L.L.C.  (legacy lifer clan) have been drinking diet sodas for decades, loading up on artificial sweetners and they have diabetes.  One drinks up to 8 of them aday.  It's her "cold coffee".  

We have free soda at the office and I would drink at least 3 diet Cokes or Coke Zero's a day, if not more...plus more when I got home.  After a week or maybe 2 on the first Whole30, I lost the craving for it and now I can't even sniff it because it just makes me ill.  Exceptions are when I go on vacation somewhere warm and have a few rum and cokes...but usually it's just the rum on the rocks (assuming I'm not on a Whole30 at the time)

Its amazing how your taste buds can reset themselves after this program.  

• 3 weeks later...

Try tea in the morning, in my opinion it's easier to drink without cream/sugar than coffee it. A good black tea (Twinings Irish Breakfast!) has a decent amount of caffeine. Depending on where you're located, Polar seltzer is amazing and you can find it at Wegmans and some Winn Dixies, haven't been able to find it in the NW, though. I just did a soda fast and went cold turkey. I drank Canada Dry seltzers, and did water infusions with pineapple because it's pretty sweet. I also told EVERYONE I was giving up soda so that they would understand when I was with them not to offer me a soda.

I gave up diet soda (after a 20+ year daily habit/addiction) for my first Whole30 last September.  I craved it for six months, even gave in a few times.  Then one day out of nowhere, drinking a diet soda seemed disgusting to me.  I don't ever want another one again.

Archived