Difference between coconut cream and coconut milk?

My husband keeps asking why he should stay away from the SO coconut vanilla creamer for his coffee. He really has a hard time to drink his coffee black. My answers are obviously not good enough for him. Any suggestions?

I don't know the product...is this the ingredient list?

ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (WATER, ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM), DRIED CANE SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVORS, COLORED WITH TITANIUM DIOXIDE, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, GUAR GUM.

I think the highlighted ingredients are enough reason to leave that on the shelf. has he tried just using coconut milk? or using coconut oil and/or ghee blended up with his coffee?

He could try coconut BUTTER (ie Artisana brand). It is delicious. Needs to be blended (ie, with stick blender) and gives a creamier texture than just coconut milk and is not greasy like coconut oil.

Thank you so much. I will try the blending with Coconut milk as well as the butter. Does my regular blender work for that as well?

Never mind, I am just gonna try it (-:

Oh, one more thing. Do you all know the carbonated water " La Croix". It comes in different flavors and only has a) carbonated water and B) natural flavors in there. I am from Germany and I just can't get used to drinking the boring plain water here )-;

• 2 months later...

I just tried putting coconut oil in my coffee but it doesn't give it the coconut flavor I loved in the "Almond Joy" cream I used previously to The Whole 30.  Our store just added coconut butter to it's inventory.  If I use coconut butter, will it give me the coconut flavor that I want?  I have also tried coconut milk but it doesn't seem to give my coffee any flavor and It separates at the top.

I would appreciate it to know the advantages and taste difference between coconut oil and coconut butter.

Thank you,

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Beth!

I'm afraid nothing Whole30 compliant is going to give you what you're looking for. Those flavors are far from the natural taste of the foods that they replicate.  I'd suggest taking some time to find new and different flavors you enjoy instead of trying to replicate the old ones (you'll likely just be disappointed).

Now, the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter is more easily appreciated.  Think of it as the difference between peanut oil and peanut butter.  One is extracted fat, and the other is blended nut flesh :)

The above is another of the big reasons I decided to do a Whole 30. I realized one day that after chewing so much of that "dessert" flavored gum that I had no idea what an actual watermelon tasted like, and my expectations of maple syrup were completely screwed up by articifical maple flavor. I was so angry about it that I went off on a rant at work. I know you will be sad that your beverage won't taste the way it did with the sugary creamer, but it helped me to think to myself, "That is not what strawberry tastes like. That was something some company engineered specifically to get me addicted to their product, so that I would use as much of it as possible and buy as much of it as possible." That made me angry, and so I was able to keep from going back to it.

I have had both coconut oil and coconut butter in my coffee/tea, and while both are similar in terms of the coconut flavor you will get from it, the coconut butter is going to make your beverage LOOK creamier, and will foam up in the blender. When I used coconut oil, the taste and mouth feel of the drink was the same, but there was no foam. I like foam that I can sprinkle with nutmeg, so I use coconut butter.

Hummel, have your husband google carageenan. I was skeptical about why it was bad until I did. The VERY FIRST article that popped up said that it is actually a substance that many laboratories use specifically to CREATE inflammation in tissues, so that they can then test the effects of anti-inflammatory drugs. So not only is it a substance that causes inflammation, it's a substance that causes so MUCH inflammation that labs use it to create inflammation so that they can test curing it. That pretty much sold me on NOPE.

Archived