Accidental slip

I'm only on day 3 of my whole30 and had an accidnetal slip today. I lost power last night so didn't have time to make myself breakfast or lunch and was running late and grabbed a banana. I know not a good breakfast but it was all I could do. At lunch I ordered a greek salad with gyro meat. I thought it would be ok until I got it and realized it was covered in feta cheese. I tried to scoup as much of the cheese off as I could but I think I still got some. I'm bummed cause I was feeling ok! Few cravings but nothing major. Do I start all over or just move on?

Erin, it's really up to you. If you're just 3 days in and you really only had a small amount you can move on and chalk it up to a learning experience. But remember, dairy is one of the things we believe to be more gut disrupting and it can stand in the way of you really benefiting from the 30 day experience. The key is not to beat yourself up but know that these situations will arise and to try to think through some workarounds so next time you have a plan to keep the dairy off your plate. If you can restart without getting yourself down, then do but what's most important is that you feel good about what you learned and move on!

I forgot about the bacon and put baconnaise (mayo made from bacon fat and coconut oil) from our previous way of paleo eating in our tuna salad today. It was about 1-2 tbsp with 1/2 cup coconut oil. Is that enough to start over? We are on day 1. Also the tuna said contains soy but it was not listed on the ingredients. Is this off plan?

• 2 years later...

Help! I forgot the bacon fat I used to make my baconnasie today was from bacon that I had used before starting Whole 30. I'm on day 1, should I start over? I didnt even think about the bacon fat maybe containing some sugar in it from previous bacon I have eaten. I would hate to waste my tuna salad i made. 

Help! I forgot the bacon fat I used to make my baconnasie today was from bacon that I had used before starting Whole 30. I'm on day 1, should I start over? I didnt even think about the bacon fat maybe containing some sugar in it from previous bacon I have eaten. I would hate to waste my tuna salad i made.

At a minimum, I wouldn't eat any more of that tuna salad.

On whether to start over, read this article and decide: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

• Administrators

At a minimum, I wouldn't eat any more of that tuna salad.

On whether to start over, read this article and decide: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

Althought that sunshine sauce is good, I think Chris meant to post the article to "Do I have to start over". ;)

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Today I opened a steamer at my parents house that was full of broccoli. Without thinking I ate a piece. I instantly thought, "that almost tastes like butter..." part of me thought it had butter and part of me really thought it just tasted THAT good. I tried a second piece... It definitely had butter. I've worked very hard and been so strict it's been down right miserable so you can imagine how upset I am. I wondered if I would be able to finish the whole 30 and then go an extra 10 days without dairy to make up for my accidentally consumption? Thoughts?

• Moderators

Today I opened a steamer at my parents house that was full of broccoli. Without thinking I ate a piece. I instantly thought, "that almost tastes like butter..." part of me thought it had butter and part of me really thought it just tasted THAT good. I tried a second piece... It definitely had butter. I've worked very hard and been so strict it's been down right miserable so you can imagine how upset I am. I wondered if I would be able to finish the whole 30 and then go an extra 10 days without dairy to make up for my accidentally consumption? Thoughts?

Did you read through the article linked above? 

To do a proper dairy reintroduction, you'd definitely need at least 30 consecutive days completely dairy free.

I am a little curious, you say you've been "so strict it's been down right miserable" -- what about this has been miserable? That really isn't the goal of a Whole30. It's certainly a lot of work, and it can be a little uncomfortable in social situations, but you're really not meant to be miserable. Could you tell us a little bit about what that's about and let us see if we can offer some suggestions to help?

Archived