Starting Nov. 9th.

abens123

Hi everyone!

I am completely new to this Whole 30 concept, but I am very excited!  As I previously mentioned, I will be starting on Saturday. I just purchased the book, but life has been so busy that I haven't had enough time to read it.  But I wanted to ask you guys what would be some advice you would have for someone just about to start?  I don't have a sweet tooth, I never have. I was the weird kid at birthdays who always said no to cake. BUT, if it were chips and salsa...that's a whole new conversation.  I also...don't cook. haha. I'm very satisfied with simple food. But I guess now would be a time to start.  Looking forward to getting to know you guys and use this site more frequently.  

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting November 10. I'm doing it with a coworker. This is my first time as well. I'm very excited! I have to eat gluten free anyway since I'm allergic to wheat. I hear you about the chips and salsa! My husband is not doing this with me so I'm thinking this forum may be a good option for support. I will post daily to check in and keep me honest!

Looking forward to a healthy 30 with this forum!

Hey everyone, 

So tomorrow I start my whole 30.  I'm going to say, I'm very nervous. But so excited.  There are some non-emergency medical things wrong with me that I am curious to see what will happen.  I have an extremely dry scalp...and my hair falls out like there is no tomorrow. Thank the good Lord I have a lot of it.  And just some pains in my right foot....strange. So anyways, I can't wait!!

Hello everyone I am starting today the 10th. I am very excited as well and am hoping it will help with some minor medical issues I have. I have read the book and found it very interesting and helpful. One of the keys to the success of this program is meal planning, it's amazing how everything has sugar or soy in it. Also downloading the shopping list, meal templates, dining out and the travel guides are great resources. I Putin on my Ipad and brought it with me while grocery shopping.

I look forward to the blog and everyone's input and incouragement!!!

Good luck everyone

How did everyone do on their first days?

I feel really good! I even went to a family gathering (alcohol and cheese and crackers abound!). No problem! I brought a bagful of my home grown persimmons for all of them. I sliced a few and put those on a plate and ate one or twos slices with my water!

I am allergic to wheat so I'm used to avoiding bread, cookies and crackers. But I thought avoiding dairy was going to be an issue. No Sweat thus far! I am really enjoying the food and I love to cook!

Hope you all started strong! If not, share your issues, we can all help to get through this 30 days for our health's sake!

My first day went great, no problem but I know the next few days are going to be tough without my sugar!  I did a lot of cooking on Sunday to get meals ready for the week, will make it so much better with my work schedule, I didn't want to give myself a reason for failure, plus it was nice to spend time in the kitchen again, too use to pre-made stuff! 

Good luck on day 2 ladies!  We can do this, I have faith in us!!!

Hi!

Day one wasn't too hard, and I was afraid it was going to be my hardest. I work for a catering company and we snack and eat cake and such on those days.  And then on our break we usually eat some of the leftovers( Cheesy lasagna, mashed potatoes.....) , which leaves us all groggy and tired and 10:30pm and not wanting to work another 3 hours... but it wasn't that hard.  

I knew how that food made me feel, I brought my own and wasn't even tempted. The only slip up was that when I got to work and was preparing the punch, we always pour ourselves a cup to test to make sure it tastes fine.  I took a sip and then as I was swallowing I was like, "Oh Crap!"  haha, so threw that away. This is helping me be more aware of just those sneaky little things in our lives.  

I need to prep some more meals, because I am already tired of salads and chicken. I'm not much of a meat eater to begin with, so that's hard for me.  I'm going to make spaghetti squash tonight,  sweet potato fries...and maybe something else. 

What are you guys eating??  

The good news is that I haven't had any of the sugar cravings. I'm on day 3, no headaches or withdrawal symptoms.  Which I was sure I would have.  And I am going to be going to the gym tonight.  

Day 3 for me is half way done, Keep it up!! 

Aunie

Hello all!  I started Nov 7 so it looks like I am only 2-3 days ahead of most of you.  I'm late jumping into the forum but I think it will be helpful.  I was great for 3 days and am now crashing for yesterday and today.  I hope this passes soon!  I am realizing how addicted to sugar and carbs I was.  I also did not eat much meat.  I'm really trying to add more.  I love to cook but don't have time to prep and cook 3 meals per day.  I'm hoping tonight to take some time to look up quick and crock pot meals to help with this.

Good luck everyone!

Hello to you and thanks for joining us.  It's funny how being able to chat with others doing this with you is helpful!  Funny how a few of you have mentioned about not eating much meat, I haven't either and can really notice that when I have a smaller size of protein I get hungry quicker, so I need to adjust my portion sizes.  Also, if I had not cooked up a stew and spaghetti Sunday night to use for the week, getting out the door this morning would have been a lot more difficult for me, preparation is definitely the key.  The book talked about sitting down and writing out your meals for the week, I can see why that is so useful. 

Yea, 

one of my favorite snacks in apple slices, throw them in a ziploc bag and toss some cinnamon in there and shake it. So delicious!  Thankfully I have time tonight. I'm going to try and make some Paleo tacos, ground beef, taco seasoning, lettuce and black olives.  It's going to be hard without the sour cream and cheese...but I won't think about it! ;)

My boss and co-worker and I are doing it too and one of them suggested making spaghetti squash, so I might try that Wednesday. 

Welcome 123Rae ,If you find any yummy meals, feel free to share :)  

If you need recipe ideas, I would encourage you to look at the back of your It Starts with Food book.  Unfortunately you are going to have to cook during your Whole 30.  At least I would not know how to be successful without cooking!.  :)

There are some great and easy food ideas in there for anyone that doesn't like to cook.  I would encourage you to learn to make a compliant dip and eat some raw veggies to make up for the chips and salsa routine.  I think that would be really helpful.  Stir fry meals are very easy, or popping chicken in the oven with some seasonings.  My big advice, cook in bulk!  I cook a boat load of sweet potatoes and then keep them in the frig for something quick.

FYI- READ ALL LABELS of everything you don't buy.  Food products are very tricky!  Good luck and make sure to read the Day by Day article.  It really tells you what to expect. 

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/

Yea,

one of my favorite snacks in apple slices, throw them in a ziploc bag and toss some cinnamon in there and shake it. So delicious! Thankfully I have time tonight. I'm going to try and make some Paleo tacos, ground beef, taco seasoning, lettuce and black olives. It's going to be hard without the sour cream and cheese...but I won't think about it! ;)

My boss and co-worker and I are doing it too and one of them suggested making spaghetti squash, so I might try that Wednesday.

Welcome 123Rae ,If you find any yummy meals, feel free to share :)

The apple slices with cinnamon is great as part of a meal - try not to eat them on their own though. Snacking is discouraged, and if you're hungry between meals it's usually a sign you aren't eating enough at meals. If you're starving between meals, have a mini meal of protein, fat and vegies, and adjust portion sizes for subsequent meals :)

Well, I'm starting again tomorrow! I was in a rush to make dinner tonight because I was hungry and used some wasabi powder to make a vinagrette dressing...After eating the meal I thought to look at the ingredients of the wasabi powder. Just wasabi powder right? NOT! It has corn starch and corn flour in it!!  I was so bummed!! Nonetheless, it could be worse. It could have happened on day 29!!

The wasabi powder has been banished from my sight!

Learn from my mishaps!

Another notch in the belt.  Last night I felt horrible, so sluggish and a horrible headache, today is much better but still a bit sluggish.

Last night I have the stew I made on Sunday and it was great , so easy to just warm-up, I poured I t over some zucchini noodles to beef up my veggies and it was delicious.  I also made some kale chips, followed the recipe in the book and they were so much better than I thought, with a little bit of salt on them, reminded me of potato chips (somewhat) great alternative though. 

Thanks for the apple and cinnamon, I will try that! 

Good luck today ladies! 

Day 2 for me, feeling much better today then I did yesterday (had the headaches and foggyness)!  Had to cook more food last night though, what I ate yesterday wasn't enough, and I found myself famished when I got home from work.  Inhaled a few too many almonds!  My day started off much better today when I found a blended coffee recipe that really hit the spot!!  I have celiac and colitis, and have had horrible stomach issues for as long as I can remember.  I've officially gone 24 hours without having to run to the restroom, and I honestly can't remember the last time that happened!  Can I really be feeling the effects of this so soon?!  Mind-blowing!!

Sweet! It is day 4 for me.  Last night I made "tacos" with ground beef and some all organic taco seasoning with salsa and black olives ( no tortilla, I was going to wrap it in romaine lettuce) . It was delicious. Then some sweet potato fries.  and mix of veggies.  I haven't really felt any headaches still....which is strange. Because I was so concerned about that.  Am I doing something wrong??  Any suggestions?  

How were the zucchini noodles? I might have to try that.  

Good luck today!

I'm beginning to feel better - Day 6 for me.  Energy is up and headache is gone.  Still really craving things and a little brain fog but feeling so much better overall!  I looked at the timeline and I seem to be a day or two behind in how I feel from what it outlines but the stages seem to be right on!  I had a taco salad variation last night as well and it was satisfying but lacking flavor.  I was so envious of my family that had the same meal with me but with cheese on theirs.  The leftover taco meat will be used tonight but I'm going to zest it up a little and maybe have it with a sweet potato.

abens123 - you said you didn't really have a sweet tooth.  That's probably why you're not getting the headaches?  I am attributing it to sugar withdrawal and while I think I'm coming out of the physical need for sugar, my brain is still telling me that I want it.

Nisel1011 - zucchini noodles?!  That sounds wonderful to me.  Zucchini is my favorite.  Definitely jotting that down as something to explore.

luvrdeo - I have crohns/ileitis in combination with probable IBS with I'm sure similar digestive issues as you have dealt with.  AND also experiencing the relief of not running to the restroom in the past 6 days!  I've had a couple of slight gurgles but nothing major.  I started this program primarily to see if I could control the digestive issues and secondarily to lose weight/get healthy.  I am very pleased so far with the digestive help and glad to hear it is going well for you also!  I really was doubting it would help because lots of veggies and meat has not gone well for me in the past but I had never tried it in combination with losing the grains/carbs/sugars.  I'm excited to see how it goes long term.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

123Rae - I'm glad to hear this is helping your digestive system as well!  I hate to get all excited when I'm only on day 2, but this is a first for me.  I had a nutritionist tell me to go paleo a year ago, but I didn't take it seriously...now I'm thinking she was right!  Same as you, my major reason to start this was to see if I could smooth things out internally.  I've had some gurgles this afternoon, but that's it.  I too doubted this, and a lot of my family has looked at me like I'm crazy since I've already been forced to give up gluten...why would I want to give up so much more?!  I plan on quitting my prescription stomach pills that I've so religiously relied on for the last year and a half, it'll be interesting to see what happens next!  Nothing I hope!!

Yesterday went ok, still sluggish and had more cravings than I would have liked!  Today has been my hardest day yet, started out with a headache and I am very cranky!  I could really go for a snickers or a cheese puff!  ;)   What can you do, all for a great cause!!!!

Meals have been going ok, still struggling with breakfast, it seems to be the hardest for me, I wasn't much of a breakfast eater prior, more of a liquid breakfast person. 

So last night I had lamb; I had actually cooked it the night prior, simmered on the stove with tomatoes, onions and green beans, it was delicious!  Today I have stew and a baked potato for lunch, sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon and then I squeezed a little bit of an orange on it to mash it up and it was delicious! 

Hope things are going well for everyone!  It really does help blogging about it! 

Have an awesome day!!

On to day #5....

This is going to be spendy.  After work last night, I go an babysit a little guy for a few hours.  I knew all day that there were staples in my food that were gone and I needed to stop at a grocery store.  I didn't eat there, I should have planned ahead, but by 8:30 I was so hungry ,so I made 2 stops. I read on here, that in a pinch, chipotle is okay.  So, I had the salad with peppers, salsa, chicken and lots of guac.  It was so yummy. The lady told me that the ingredients for the dressing were ...something, something, something....(I can't remember) but from the ones she said it was all whole 30 ok....until I got home and read that the dressing was a "no no", so that was that little slip up.  

I then went to a grocery store that was in the neighborhood and not out of my way, and boy! was it expensive. I dropped $68 on like 10 items!?!?!? So, that won't be happening again.  But I got some grassfed  beef that I am really excited to cook tonight.  

Anyone else noticing a change in how their clothes fit?  My jeans are a tad saggy and a shirt seems more slim on and my co-worker noticed that hers were too.  Awesome!!  

Keep going and yes it is all worth it!  I posted on facebook for all my friends to hold me accountable and boy have they. I got some great feedback from friends who have tried it and one lady said she did something like this a few weeks ago and she asked me, " How good can you stand it."  she stated that we self-sabatoge out of fear of the unknown. We are unfamiliar with how good it feels to be fit, healthy, strong, flexible, relaxed, energized....  Keeping that though in my mind when I want to eat a pastry, and then think, do i want to ruin how good I feel now, with eating...nope!  

So, little 'food' for thought ;) 

Nisel1011 - I too am struggling today, the fatigue is killing me!  I really want to go home, pig out on something GF, and take a nap!  But of course I won't, I'll keep plugging along :)  Everyday I feel like I need to eat more and more...and that is strange!  Fingers crossed I don't have the "hangover" feeling for long!

Well today was a struggle for me but I made it. Tough day at work made me think I was Hungary but just the emotional hungry because I really couldn't eat fish and broccoli ...ha ha. I'm having problems figuring out how much protein I need especially with breakfast, I was never much a food person for breakfast always liquid protein drink. My headache wasn't bad today and didn't show up until late in the day so hoping that's a sing there almost over.

It's funny because I'm learning a lot about myself and my relationship with food, I'm totally an emotional eater but it was very helpful when I thought I was hungyry to stop myself and ask if I'm really hungyry or is it my emotions playing tricks on me.

Abiens123: I can't wait to try the tacos your post made me crave them, purchased the stuff for it tonight can't wait to try tomorrow!

123rae: zuccini noodles are very good I prefer them to the spaghetti squash, you can buy on amazon a tool to use, I liked the handheld one much easier to use. The noodles are very similar to actual pasta.

Well hope everyone made it through another day, we can do this!!!

what a day!  Day five is just about complete.  ya! but there was a point where I fell off the wagon. It's wednesday night and we serve dinner at my church. Since I volunteer with the youth, I stick around for supper usually and eat. So, like normal, walked down to the line and I was looking at the food being served and realized I couldn't have any of it. There were these delicious looking bisquits and whit rice and bbq meatballs!! AHHHHH!  all I wanted was the salad at the end and some grapes and apples...but I didn't want to be "that" person...and have to explain to everyone.  So, i jsut got the meatballs on my plate and some salad and fruit and veggies.  I sat down, looked at the food and realized how hungry I was...so, i ate a piece of the lettuce. and was telling the highschoolers to take my meatballs away.  They were all gaging on the food...(apparently it wasn't that good) and that helped me realize that I don't want ot be questioning what was in this meat, when the meat I have at home is grassfed and healthy.  So, I didn't. But I am hungry. So i just made some ground beef with a mix of spices for taco seasoning, some sweet potatoe fries and some spinach and carrots.  Does that seem like an okay meal? should I have added something else?  

Hang in there, the day is almost over!

I really wanted to fall off the wagon last night...about an hour after dinner, I was hungry again - yes, I know this means dinner wasn't substantial enough...but all I wanted was a treat of some sort!  Luckily, there isn't a single sugary treat in my house, so I was safe, and had a few apple slices instead.  I feel better today though, and am hoping this keeps me motivated!

Archived