Sweet potato fries

busymommy

I just read in my daily email that I shouldn't have sweet potato fries...what?  that has been one of my go to's.  I just cut up a sweet potato, put coconut oil, sea salt and cinnamon on it and bake it and I have it with a meal of protein and healthy fats.  what is wrong with that?  I love it and am hoping I don't have to give it up.

hmmm, I'm not sure what the context is, since I don't get the daily email, but MY interpretation of the program is that yes, you can have roasted sweet potato "fries", but no, you can't have pre-packaged frozen or resturant sweet potato fries. The frozen prepared ones (which are the same ones the resturants use) have off-plan ingredients like a coating of flour or cornstarch, often soy or corn oil and, let's face it, they are a pretty processed food. The ones you make yourself are great!

EDIT: here's the ingredients on the Alexa frozen sweet potato fries: Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil and/or Sunflower Oil and/or Safflower Oil, Rice Flour, Tapioca Starch, Natural Cane Sugar, Cornstarch, Tapioca Dextrin, Sea Salt, Chili Pepper Powder, Salad Mustard (Distilled Vinegar, Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric, Paprika), Xanthan Gum, Gluconic Acid.

so, rice flour, cane sugar, cornstarch....

I'd think the main reason is the added ingredients, as missmary noted! The only other reason I can think of to cut them out is if they're a substitute for a French fry craving - like some people cut out dried fruit because it feeds a sugar demon, if this is feeding a fry demon for you it might be good to have the sweet potatoes some other way.

That said, I just had some delicious sweet potato wedges for dinner. :)

• 2 years later...

What about sweet potato fries in a bag that don't have any other ingredients aside from the sweet potatoes? They are crinkle cut fries, look just like fries you'd get at a restaurant.  

Are those allowed? In my mind, I'd say no as they seem to be recreating the french fry from our SAD diet.......

I'd have to ask..... if sweet potato is the only ingredient, and you're going to bake them.... why would you not just buy some sweet potatoes & cut them yourself - it's bound to be cheaper.

• Moderators

I would personally say no to this...No prepackaged french fries of any starchy variety... The rule is no commercially available fries... buy a yam, cut it up with a crinkle knife (or a regular knife) and then bake them...

• Administrators

Hmmm...at the risk of the moderators disagreeing and being all confusing; I think the ticket with this one is whether or not these crinkle cut sweet potatos are already baked and then frozen? Or they are just a raw vegetable already cut?  Raw veggie precut would be A-OK!

Raw veggie sold in a bag.....these would make me want regular french fries (visual thing for me), but I'm not the one who bought them for consumption (we're having quite the disagreement on this on a FB group LOL).

• Moderators

Raw veggie sold in a bag.....these would make me want regular french fries (visual thing for me), but I'm not the one who bought them for consumption (we're having quite the disagreement on this on a FB group LOL).

Raw veggies that are just veggies, regardless of what shape they're cut in, are fine.

Having bought such things, I can tell you it's highly unlikely they'll be crispy like a real French fry. At best, the most I ever got was the ends slightly crunchy, but most of the "fry" still pretty soft (except the batch I burned trying to get them crunchy -- I guess I succeeded on that one, sort of). I hear some people do manage to get them right, but regardless of what recipe I tried, they just never turned out for me. Still tasty, but not fries.

Raw veggies that are just veggies, regardless of what shape they're cut in, are fine.

Having bought such things, I can tell you it's highly unlikely they'll be crispy like a real French fry. At best, the most I ever got was the ends slightly crunchy, but most of the "fry" still pretty soft (except the batch I burned trying to get them crunchy -- I guess I succeeded on that one, sort of). I hear some people do manage to get them right, but regardless of what recipe I tried, they just never turned out for me. Still tasty, but not fries.

My girlfriend and I fight over the burnt ones. So we tend "accidentally" leave them in the oven a little too long. Oops!  ;)

Hello, I'm currently on day 7 and LOVING this. I'm sorry if this has been covered or is a stupid question, but sweet potato homemade fries are ok, right? So sweet potatoes roasted in duck fat in the oven on their own. And while we're on the topic, sweet potato mashed too? Basically, do I need to limit this, is it ok, is it a cheat? I've read some conflicting articles and i LOVE SP! 

• Moderators

Hello, I'm currently on day 7 and LOVING this. I'm sorry if this has been covered or is a stupid question, but sweet potato homemade fries are ok, right? So sweet potatoes roasted in duck fat in the oven on their own. And while we're on the topic, sweet potato mashed too? Basically, do I need to limit this, is it ok, is it a cheat? I've read some conflicting articles and i LOVE SP! 

Both of these are okay. Most people feel best with at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables like sweet potato each day. Some need more, especially if they're more active, are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week or so leading up to their period.

Do be sure that you're having at least as many non-starchy vegetables as starchy ones, and try to eat a variety of them, not just the same three or four vegetables all month.

Archived