Sulphites in desiccated coconut!

Hi everyone, I'm on Day 9 of my first whole 30. For lunch today I put a tiny amount of desiccated coconut on my butternut squash (prob less then a tsp across 2 servings of butternut squash). I have just seen it contains sulphites!! Of all things to contain it! Can I put it down to a silly mistake and carry on (and check my labels!) or do I have to start again? I can't continue past 28th November anyway so I may just continue until then (which would make it a Whole 32) as penance!

Edit: I noticed the allergy advice label: contains sulphites and panicked and immediately threw the coconut in the bin. The rational mind then kicked in and I decided to check the label. The ingredient list is only 'desiccated coconut, preservative:sulphur dioxide'. Does this means it contains sulphites or not ( does coconut contain naturally occurring sulphites??) - bottom line, am I ok to continue?!

I recently made 'macaroons' with dried coconut, coconut flour and oil and sea salt. They smelled and tasted great. However, I had a raging headache both nights that I ate them. I think they may have had sulfites in them, even though it wasn't listed.

I would just add back in as many days as you can.

Phew! Thank you Robin, that has set my mind at rest! Was so proud of how I'm doing (being super strict, no fruit or snacks even) and I was so disappointed I hadn't done this perfectly. Then I remembered to breathe and that this was about the process, so just finish the thirty days then reassess. I can always go again after the Christmas hullabaloo is over!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived