Completely off the rails!

Anunez96

Hi All - this is my very first post...ever.

I completed my first ever Whole30 on Oct 31st.  Went from a SAD diet to Whole30 cold turkey and never had a single slip - intentional or otherwise. 

The Whole30 did wonders for me.  My skin is clearer (was pretty inflamed previously) and I lost 12 pounds without adding exercise.  I was NEVER hungry and felt like I had plenty to eat.  Snacking was a thing of the past.  I ate a good bfst, lunch and dinner and that was enough.  I had cravings for foods I missed but I was not calorie starved AT ALL.  So great, right?

I am now 6 days post Whole30 and am completely off the rails...halloween candy, fried chicken, sips of...gulp...soda....I feel depressed.  I know I have gained back a few pounds.  A few days ago, I resolved to do a Whole21 but no such luck....I wish I could go to bed so that I could start fresh tomorrow.

What I guess I am looking for is a ray of hope!  I feel like an addict who has fallen off the wagon.  Have I completely undone all the good done to my system?

Has anyone else gone completely off the rails so soon after completing their Whole30 and been able to get back on track?  I keep saying tomorrow...tomorrow...tomorrow and then I do something stupid like eat some halloween candy (which is now in the GARBAGE).

:-(

I didn't go completely off the rails as you described, but did go off rails beyond what I would normally allow myself.  Way too many gluten and dairy products, and what I would describe as boatloads of sugary substances, including alcohol.

The inability to restart is often your body rebelling; if you are like me, you are addicted to these substances.  Set a date, and then decrease your consumption over time getting ready for that date.  It may help the withdrawal.  Note to self: take your own advice ;).

If the cold turkey approach is your preference, then get rid of ALL of the offending items TODAY and start fresh tomorrow!

Thanks!  I've also discovered that logging food is not a good fir for me.  I did not log at all during the WHole30 and that worked.  Logging post Whole30 has led to me thinking about food more than I had before.

The other hard thing for me has been that I am sick of prepping, cooking and cleaning up the kitchen for 3 meals a day.  I may need to start trying the make some larger portions on say, Sunday, to have quick meals available at least a couple of times a week.  I do not have the stamina/time in my day for quite so much kitchen time.

I may need to start trying the make some larger portions on say, Sunday, to have quick meals available at least a couple of times a week.

YES! No way could I have done a W30 without doing this. I have too much going on during the week to cook every night, much less three meals a day. Most of the time all I do on a weeknight is reheat.

My crockpot, which I've always loved, has really become my friend. Not only can I fill it up in the morning or the evening before, but there is something so comforting about coming home to a great smelling (and tasting) meal.  It makes me really feel like I'm taking care of myself.

I'm with you on the not logging food! One of the drawbacks of Whole30 is you have to think about food so much, which is exactly the opposite of what we need to be doing.

Definitely cook bigger portions, even having leftovers for 1 meal a day makes a big difference. It took me a while to get a good rhythm going but now I cook up a meat dish and a veggie stew/curry/megamix on the weekend. I can add diff proteins to the veggie mix or blend and use as soup/sauce, and the meat dish I can add diff vegs to. So I still usually cook at least once a day but that's doable. Chop extra vegs while you're already chopping, and save absolutely every scrap of leftovers because sooner or later they add up to a meal lol!

I went off the rails my second week post W30. Sugar sugar sugar! I was really feeling like a failure.

Then for some reason it all eased up this last week. I had been premenstrual so that definitely created some sugar cravings, but this last week I have had more control. Each day I become more and more compliant. Maybe (for me) it was a little bit of rebellion, and I was overthinking everything.

Go back to eating large, balanced heathy meals. When you have cravings evaluate if you are really hungry. I found that I was not eating enough good balanced meals post W30 and then cravings would hit and they were hard to resist. Now I make sure that I fill up properly at each meal, if I get a craving I am better able to decide if it is a food that I want to allow into my life. It seems to really help. Now 3 weeks post W30, I am feeling more settled and more in control again!

Hang in there, keep to the meal plan and you will do fine as you settle into a healthy balance of foods.

I did my W30 last february, like you, breezed through. Chose to remain compliant, and eat those occasional off road meals. Its been an arduous journey where I am trying to distinguish emotional eating. I suffered a bike accident this summer and was prevented from working out. I was adamant about staying compliant as part of healing and managing my weight. I did well for a few months. I fell apart when I returned to work (as a HS teacher) and since September have been lost- devouring Halloween candy, eating multiple bowls of cereal  (after dinner), indulging in Sweet Frog (the new fro yo chain)with my kids (3x in the recent months) and my new favorite became raisins and plantain chips. In the midst of my emotional eating, I would rein myself in during the day,  binge at night, or, I'd stay compliant but not  for more than two days. I barely fit into my pants now, and had to buy new shirts that draped over/concealed my stomach. People are shocked to learn of my new habits because they know me as physically fit and one who prided myself on health.

I have been pondering this, with lack of daylight and moving into the colder months, holidays... this does not help my despise of what I have allowed myself to do and wanting to regain control of my eating. Like you, I started the W30 cold turkey. From last March through August, there was no need for me to another W30. however, I have decided that is what I needed. So now, W30 #2, I am 4 days in, and though small, somehow this a monumental success for me right now. I will continue. For me, there can be no deviations and follow the simple "rules". Believe it or not, it is simply easier to reprogram and make the clear cut shift 100% instead of any little baby steps towards something. This approach/mindset is talked about in the book. as actually easier for a person to comprehend and achieve success with.

I am not sure I have helped, but I certainly feel your pain, and am struggling with it myself. 

Archived