Day 14 - Heartburn

mandeemus

HELP!

Not sure what to do. I never used to get heartburn. When I did, it was only once a year and very severe. Now, I've been getting it more often. I am currently feeling it coming on pretty bad. I usually have 2 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper in the morning, a few small-ish tomatoes, and coffee with coconut oil in it. I've had this nearly every morning for the last week and a half. The heartburn has only happened twice this week, and it's usually right around 11:00 AM. Could it be the tomatoes? I eat a lot of tomatoes and other times during the day, they don't bother me at all. Also, they never used to bother me? Not sure what to do.

I've found sometimes tomatoes cause heartburn and sometimes not. It's kind of weird and I've yet to find the exact connection. One thing I suspect is the amount of liquid I have immediately before I eat as that can reduce your stomach acid.

One thing I've found helpful when I have heartburn is a shot of raw apple cider vinegar in water. I have to choke it down but it usually helps. Often heartburn is caused by low stomach acid and I believe this is why the acv brings some relieve.

strange enough, I started getting heartburn more after starting whole30 too...could it be the coconut oil? I didn't use that before at all. Or maybe the onion, I guess we have to try it out one by one, one time I got heart burn right after the curry on ground beef, there is no tomato in it at all...

I am also prone to heartburn, even on Whole30 eating. Spicy food and tomatoes (especially tomato paste) are big triggers for me. Eating a raw apple usually helps. I tried apple cider vinegar and it made the heartburn worse for me! Ugh! I haven't had to take any medication on my Whole30 because as soon as I noticed the heartburn starting I would go eat an apple.

Tomatoes and coffee are both very acidic.

Ironically, many people who suffer from heartburn and GERD have too little stomach acid, not to much. So taking acid reducers may make you feel better temporarily, but are not good in the long term. What happens is that you don't have enough stomach acid to digest your food properly, it doesn't move down into your small intestine until it is digested and the longer it stays in your stomach, the more gas builds up and can cause the contents of your stomach to bubble up to the esophagus. That's when you get heartburn.

I was on acid reducers for a long time. I then stopped taking them and started taking HCL (which is stomach acid). You take it with meals, especially protein, and it works wonders. ACV also works for some too. I can now drink coffee (which I had to give up before). I don't eat tomatoes because I have a nightshade sensitivity. But I haven't had GERD at all since taking the HCL.

Archived