Started November 2

cmccoy

Hi everyone,

I came across the Whole 30 by accident...I was actually looking up another diet I had heard about from a co-worker and when I googled "30 day diet" Whole foods popped up.  After reading the website and testimonials I was sold!  I sometimes struggle with depression and mood swings and I rarely sleep through the night.  I also am slightly overweight and would like to get back into my size 8 jeans instead of my size 12's!

I don't have the book, but I'm getting all my resources from the website, links and shopping list.  So far so good...I've been feeling pretty good all week;  no "hangover" or "wanting to kill all the things".  I haven't noticed any significant changes good or  bad, but I know it's only day 7.

I do have one question -- I'm not understanding why snacks are looked down upon.  I eat breakfast at 7:30 (usually 2 eggs in ghee and 2 cups steamed veggies) and find I'm really for a small snack around 10:30 ( a banana or handful of almonds)and if I don't eat that I'm uncomfortably hungry by noon.  Same thing with later in the day...if I eat lunch at noon (a cup of chocolate chili along with a salad with o&v, avocado, olives, tomato, cucumber) I want a snack around 3:30 (usually I eat one or two hard boiled eggs) and it is a perfect "layover" until my dinner around 6:30...why is that bad?  Should I instead eat past the point of "full" until I'm stuffed? Because overeating like that doesn't seem to healthy to me.

Hi! I am loving Whole30 as well, this is my first and I'm on day 17, I believe. :)

So, for breakfast you should have as many eggs as you can hold in your hand (you might need to eat 3)... don't count your cooking oils as your fat intake because most of the oil stays in the pan. If you do feel like you got quite a bit in with your food, maybe just add a little extra of something... I notice if I don't eat enough fats with my meals, I will be starving before the next one. Your lunch looks pretty good, but how many veggies are you getting in - is it a small salad? The meal template suggests 2-3 cups veggies per meal, so maybe adding more veggies would help. Definitely don't stuff yourself, that's not good. They say to ask yourself if you are hungry enough to eat steamed veggies and plain fish - if so, then you really are hungry and should a mini-meal comprised of protein/fat and veggies as well.

Hope this helps :)

Okay. 

Snacks are not really frowned upon if you are hungry.  If you are hungry - then eat! but the idea is to only eat when you are hungry - not because - I used to have a snack at this time, then I will have a snack.  It shouldn't be out of habbit, or just because you are bored.

Your breakfast seems a little light on protein and fat.  As Trez said before me - you should eat the number of eggs that you can hold in one hand.  And yes just because you cooked it in fat doesn't mean it transfers onto your plate.  So add 1/2 an avocado, a dollop of homemade mayo, olives - whatever.  I'm one to talk here because I can easily eat hold 4 eggs in my hand, but can only manage to eat 2 in my morning meal (I'm generally stuffed) So in the afternoon I am hungry, so I have a mini meal (protein, fat & veg) - especially if I do a run after work.

If you need to eat 4 meals a day - then do it.  You do not need to be hungry on this plan. 

• Moderators

Getting your hormones into their proper rhythm is important to losing weight. Eating 5 or 6 meals per day interferes with your hormones getting into their ideal rhythm. Basically, to oversimplify things, when you eat, your body has processes it goes through. If you eat every 5 hours, these processes have time to get their work done. If you eat more often, your body starts a new process before some old processes are finished and it produces a bit of conflict. Nothing awful, but not ideal. There is a reason that eating three meals per day is such a big part of human history. Our body really is well-tuned to eating three meals per day. And many years ago, people could not keep food available for frequent snacking. Now, you can snack, but your body really is suited to three meals per day. 

It can take some time to adjust to eating meals that are big enough and rich enough to keep you satisfied 5 or 6 hours, but once you adjust, it is easy to go without between meal snacks. I often do not get hungry until I have started cooking my next meal. 

If you are wanting a snack, that is a pretty good sign that your previous was too small or did not include enough fat. 

Archived