Japanese Sweet Potatoes

Xandra

I found them at the asian market, they are purple inside and kind of whitish/gray outside. I didn't actually like them that much. I don't know if I prepared them wrong, but they were very dry. Perhaps a different cooking method would be better, like boiling and mashing, or baking them whole.

I use regular sweet potatoes and cook like this to get (I think; can't get the Japanese ones here) similar results (they will be a little floppy-ish, but fully cooked and able to be picked up with your hands):

Chop into fry shape, no more than 1/4 inch or so (this has a little room for error, so don't necessarily measure). Soak in water 1-48 hours. Drain (marvel at how much starch has come out!) and dry VERY WELL. Put in bowl, season, pour in fat of choice and shake for even coating. Arrange on parchment paper on a cooking sheet so that NONE OF THEM TOUCH. Super important. I lectured mine about how boys and girls should never touch, are evil, etc. Leave room for the holy spirit (ha! Anybody else's school do that at dances?). That sort of thing.

Bake two trays at a time at 425 (I'm trying a batch right now that was in the fridge uncovered and uncooked for two days at 400, but I'll edit to add how that worked) for 13 minutes, then switch the trays' positions and bake for another 12-13 minutes. A few will have been sacrificed, but the majority will be good.

Serve with garlic aioli (roasted garlic in the mayo before you make it...).

Yes, they are purple on the outside and a creamy color inside. I used them instead of regular sweet potatoes for the most part. If you are good slicing with the mandolin, they can make excellent baked potato 'chips'. I shred them and use them in my breakfast fritters with ground pork. Or I just cut and bake them and then I keep them in the fridge and microwave them to have as sides. They smell/taste awesome baked with coconut oil.

Whole Foods has them sometimes. I've been going to the Farmers Market and getting the 5lb bag and keep them in the basement.

Archived