Legumes, anyone?

cayenne

I have been 99% compliant since April with only an occas off road meal for a special occasion. Been doing really well overall without hunger, good stamina, sleeping better etc.

Questions for the group going forward-I understand legumes are not compliant as they push off more healthy options on the plate. Is there any health reasons to exclude them.....inflammatory? I have not re-introduced any significant item except a glass of wine 3 or so times a week. I do not expect to add grains or dairy as they are inflammatory.

Is there any health reasons not to have legumes...black beans, organic peanut butter.....if you do not have an allergy?

Also, does everyone agree post W30 that a small glass of wine is heart healthy?

Thanks!

Post-whole30, you get to make your own choices, and whole9 makes a point of not offering much guidance on what you should include or not when you are done (everyone is different; context matters). That said, personally I have made the choice to eat legumes post-whole30. This was a situation where the wife of a close friend was trying HARD to make a meal specifically suited to my diet, but my diet wasn't really understood or explained well by her husband. I had a big bowl of lentil soup and I'm not sorry. If I LOVED legumes and wanted to include them regularly, I would prepare them using traditional methods (soaking, rinsing, etc) that make them more easily digestible, but for me they fall on the "it's ok to have these if the situation requires it, but they aren't a health-promoting choice," so I don't include them daily or even monthly.

I consider Peanuts/Peanut Butter to be different from the other legumes, because they are so likely to be contaminated with aflatoxin and I know my system is particularly sensitive to mold. I avoid that one a bit more rigourously (besides, almond and cashew butter are very tasty if I'm looking for that sort of thing).

I've also made the choice to have a glass of red wine on occasion post-whole30, but again, no kidding myself that it is health-promoting.

I have chosen to add a few items back in regular rotation, an adult beverage on the weekends, cream and sugar in my coffee. We all have our favorites that we miss and want to include, as long as it does not lead to an unhealthy binge...in that case, carefully reconsider and evaluate if it is worth it.

Legumes are hard on the digestive system. I avoid them mostly because they are quite carby...but in the hierarchy of foods they are low on the totem pole of things I am worried about as I personally have an iron gut. My family has switched to almond butter and won't go back, it is awesome. ..don't have any need/desire for peanut butter.

Great feed back,all! So, very little nutrition to be found for the carbs in beans etc. I will go forward sparingly with that. Peanut butter is less expensive and we all have to watch the dollars. I will look for almond butter in a giant size to compensate!

Wine.....hmmmmm. What to do, what to do...... I like it, so I will have it in small doses. There.

Balance is the key for sure.

I have a glass of wine with dinner sometimes. Not as much as I used to pre-W30. I also put it in my stew, but of course the alcohol cooks away. It does give it a great taste though.

I avoid legumes. I used to make my own split pea soup, but I spent a lot of time getting all the 'soap' out of the beans. But they probably still caused some inflammation, so I don't eat that anymore. They are also a FODMAP, which I am avoiding due to IBS.

• Moderators

It Starts With Food discusses negative issues with beans, peanut butter, etc. There are ways to reduce the problems, but legumes are never as healthy a choice as meat and veggies. 

Alcohol is a neurotoxin that always makes you less healthy. The touted health benefits of wine are found in nutrients from grape skins. You can get all the benefits with none of the downsides from alcohol by eating fresh grapes.

Alcohol is a neurotoxin that always makes you less healthy. The touted health benefits of wine are found in nutrients from grape skins. You can get all the benefits with none of the downsides from alcohol by eating fresh grapes.

I would love to print this out and hand it to folks that press me for details about why I don't drink. Perfectly stated.

On reintroduction, I found out to my shock that I am allergic to green beans! Honestly, I had no idea, but I tested them twice to make sure. One day after eating them I get what I used to call my "difficult swallowing day," an experience I have had my whole life, and never connected it with green beans, which I ate often. I thought the condition was a stress reaction, as it always seemed to get worse when my life had something challenging happening. Now I realize it is actually a swelling of my esophagus that makes swallowing difficult. I didn't have it the entire 90 days I did AIP, but on reintroducing green beans, bam! And so far they are the only thing that has set it off. Now I'm so freaked out about it, I have been afraid to try any other legumes.

I haven't had legumes since my whole 30 - prior, PB was the only thing I'd have regularly. PB+J was a favourite combo (not on sandwiches, I rarely eat bread, but id find a way to get it in to things!).

My husband has been having it post whole 30. The smell makes me gag and my throat feels slightly constricted. A remember feeling somewhat similar on occasion eating PB. I haven't tried it to find out, or had the desire to rest out any other legumes.

I enjoy wine - but I enjoy really good wine, the type that might only be special dinner worthy! I rarely drink, and may have a glass with dinner if I'm out for something special and know the wine is good :) I was scrutinised at an event yesterday as I declined a glass of champagne - apparently I needed it (just a sip - it won't hurt) as we were doing a toast. My glass of water did the trick!

Archived