Pork rinds?

JD12377

if the pork rinds do not contain any off-plan ingredients, then technically yes, they are allowed during the whole30 (after the whole30, you decide what you can and can not have).

That said, I would exercise caution here on a couple of fronts: 1. the pork used to produce pork rinds is probably not from properly raised pigs (I would guess this is the very lowest quality pork available), and 2. you are perpetuating a problematic habit of snacking on something crunchy. 

The whole30 guidelines recommend sticking to 3 meals and no snacks (outside of pre- and post-workout). If you wish to include pork rinds with your meals (as a crunchy coating or topping, perhaps), feel free to do so, just keep your meal balanced to the template by also including a palms-worth of protein and a substantial amount of vegetables as well. If you find yourself hungry outside of meals, take that as a sign that you need to eat more (more protein, more fat) in your meals, but go ahead and eat a balanced mini-meal if you need it. If you find you "just want something crunchy," that's a time to avoid snacking, and instead distract yourself with some other activity (go for a walk, call a friend, that sort of thing).

There was a similar post a few days ago - I think there was a recipe using them as a crunchy coating (perhaps from well fed?) and a note on the recipe stated something to the effect of the hartwigs not recommending the use of pork rinds.

Miss Mary has brought up some great points - I can't think you'd benefit in any way from eating them. There are lots of better, healthier fat sources....I doubt they'd be protein rich! Commercially available ones are likely fried or cooked with non- compliant oil.

In general because eating non template meals or eating too often doesn't create the best health. Fruit by itself can trigger insulin release or the sweet flavour with out additional satisfying protein and fat can trigger cravings or it can mean you eat less veges or other healthy foods later on etc or your digestive system doesn't get enough time to properly digest the previous meal then rebalance before having to digest again

Ok. I going to try just doing three meals this coming week. But bring a mini meal in case for when I'm at work. I work retail so in all honesty at times I can't sit and eat the meal.. I tend to eat a bit, run back to sales floor, rinse repeat till meals gone. It's just how work is.

Archived