6 days until Ironman!

goSonja

In two days I leave for Phoenix and in 6 days I race Ironman #11. 

I'm on day 7 and that's after a restart after day 4 (so kinda 11 days with one big Halloween candy snafu in the middle...hahhaha).

My energy is good and my headaches are gone! This is super exciting for me. The idea of traveling to the race and eating Whole30 has gone from "scares me to death" to "I'm so going to rock this".

My energy has actually been much better than expected during my training sessions. The slumps were mostly in the first 4 days, not the 4 days after the restart, those have actually been quite strong. I'm starting to feel really solid in my sessions, Ironman ready.

One thing I think that has really helped is to EAT!!!! LOTS!!!! I have kept it Whole30, but I have EATEN LOTS OF FOOD. I go back for seconds on almost everything so I'm eating more than a plateful of food. Just an FYI on my experience for any other athletes out there trying to start this during a marathon or triathlon build. Ya gots to EAT!

Whole30 post race....this is going to be the most interesting. I'm putting a lot of energy into making sure I can eat Whole 30 before the race, but you are totally right. At the finish line they literally dump you into a tent full of pizza, french fries, chips, soda, chocolate milk....oh and then they have bananas, and grapes. And I'm going to feel entitled, I know it. And my body is going to be begging for something...salt...sugar...who knows!

It's all an adventure, but it's a good reminder to put a post race snack in my Morning Clothes Bag so that I can get to that and get something good to eat stat. 

Isn't it just gross what they have in the finisher's area?

It's worth it to make the effort to have good, nutrient dense food available post-race. After my last tri this season, I ate candy, pretzels, and hummus, and UGH did I feel awful for several days after that!

Yes, I get that the athletes want it and that they want to promote their sponsors (Chocolate milk) but I wish the options were a bit better. Or at least I wish it was a little easier to get to your own options. I have to leave the athlete area to get my morning clothes bag, and then I'm not allowed readmittance to get a massage. So I will have to starve and bonk during my massage and then hobble a quarter mile away and hope they will let me into my morning clothes bag, or that they haven't lost it...which has ahppened. 

I'm like a little salmon swimming upstream. 

hahhahahahha!!!!

Best of luck with your Ironman. Our Godson competed in Kona Hawaii recently and came 22nd in his age group. It was only his 2nd Ironman. Amazing achievement for anyone to complete the full course in all three disciplines. And best of luck with eating clean - it is something I am trying to get Andrew to try so may tell him about you. 

Yes, I get that the athletes want it and that they want to promote their sponsors (Chocolate milk) but I wish the options were a bit better.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGG this one makes me so angry. Yes, let's drink low-fat, sugary milk post-race. That will make us feel better! Nevermind that it will wreak havoc on our blood sugar and congest our sinuses. All in the name of "recovery."

PEOPLE. Try some lean protein and some tubers. Geeze...

Best of luck with your Ironman. Our Godson competed in Kona Hawaii recently and came 22nd in his age group. It was only his 2nd Ironman. Amazing achievement for anyone to complete the full course in all three disciplines. And best of luck with eating clean - it is something I am trying to get Andrew to try so may tell him about you. 

That is awesome! I was in Kona this year as well, so your godson and I were floating in the bay on that start line together! I was 6th in my AG and my time was 9:54, you'll have to ask him what his time was, I wonder if we were close together!? 

I think clean eating has such an effect on athletic performance, but it can be hard to do it right so you have enough energy at the right times when you are training. It's definitely worth it...i think!! Best of luck to your godson in his future racing, he sounds like quite the stud!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGG this one makes me so angry. Yes, let's drink low-fat, sugary milk post-race. That will make us feel better! Nevermind that it will wreak havoc on our blood sugar and congest our sinuses. All in the name of "recovery."

PEOPLE. Try some lean protein and some tubers. Geeze...

And sadly it tastes absolutely delicious after an Ironman too. heheheheheh 

Oh SharynF!!!

Ask Andrew if he remembers a girl in a Kompetitive Edge kit passing him on the run. White hat! I passed him somewhere out there on the run, we finished about 6 minutes apart!!! He's a young guy, right, 21 years old?

What a stud!!! Super swimmer!!

Oh SharynF!!!

Ask Andrew if he remembers a girl in a Kompetitive Edge kit passing him on the run. White hat! I passed him somewhere out there on the run, we finished about 6 minutes apart!!! He's a young guy, right, 21 years old?

What a stud!!! Super swimmer!!

I've only just got up and seen your posts. Yes that's our boy (we enjoy vicarious parenthood when he does well!!). He came third in his first ever Ironman in the UK earlier this year and got an automatic entry into Kona. Only had a couple of hours to accept so he was trying to raise the funds for the flight etc. His mum, dad and younger sister came out for the event and his sister celebrated her 15th birthday in Hawaii. Oh the experiences kids get today!! 

I'll ask Andrew if he remembers you - there are some great photos of sunburn highlighting his number (2131) down his arm. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151935887908416&set=a.10151935888103416.1073741826.743558415&type=3&theater#

Whole30 post race....this is going to be the most interesting. I'm putting a lot of energy into making sure I can eat Whole 30 before the race, but you are totally right. At the finish line they literally dump you into a tent full of pizza, french fries, chips, soda, chocolate milk....oh and then they have bananas, and grapes. And I'm going to feel entitled, I know it. And my body is going to be begging for something...salt...sugar...who knows!

It's all an adventure, but it's a good reminder to put a post race snack in my Morning Clothes Bag so that I can get to that and get something good to eat stat. 

I'm so happy that you started this post! I injured myself on mile 20 when training for Marine Corps Marathon, and I was curious on athletes level of performance while following this program. 

I'm so happy that you started this post! I injured myself on mile 20 when training for Marine Corps Marathon, and I was curious on athletes level of performance while following this program. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury! 

I think whole 30 works great for endurance athletes as long as you are seeking health and willing to EAT LOTS! 

If that's the case, I think it's health to the utmost.

Hows that injury coming along?? Any relief? Getting any PT?

Archived