Breakfast sausage

cmccoy

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a crumbled breakfast sausage.  My "go to" has always been Jimmy Deans hot sausage in the tube.  I love it for sausage patties, or as a "crust" for a breakfast quiche. Everything I've seen has MSG, and I did find "Jimmy Deans all natural" but it contains sugar.  I've looked at whole foods to no avail. I know I could use ground pork and add sausage seasoning but that is a last resort.

Thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a crumbled breakfast sausage.  My "go to" has always been Jimmy Deans hot sausage in the tube.  I love it for sausage patties, or as a "crust" for a breakfast quiche. Everything I've seen has MSG, and I did find "Jimmy Deans all natural" but it contains sugar.  I've looked at whole foods to no avail. I know I could use ground pork and add sausage seasoning but that is a last resort.

Thoughts?

Why is adding sausage seasoning a last resort? It's easy and much tastier than anything pre-packaged.

Seasoning ground pork yourself really works well. 

Tom - I looked at your link and in one of your recipes it states to use "1 pound of chorizo sausage".  Ok..so where can you find compliant chorizo?  Because I can't find it anywhere -- I looked for it at the same time I looked for breakfast sausage.  I can't find any compliant ground sausage period.  

Yup, here in the UK we don't get this legendary product that is Breakfast Sausage :) I use the seasoning mix from Well Fed or Primal Cravings & just mix it into ground pork, beef, whatever.

Us Aussies don't get it either - I can't even say I know exactly what it is when people mention it!

Tom - I looked at your link and in one of your recipes it states to use "1 pound of chorizo sausage".  Ok..so where can you find compliant chorizo?  Because I can't find it anywhere -- I looked for it at the same time I looked for breakfast sausage.  I can't find any compliant ground sausage period.  

If you have Primal Cravings by the Keatleys it tells you that you can use ground beef or sausage and add certain spices to make chorizo.  I don't have the book with me or I would post it for you.  That way you can make it compliant.  I believe in Well Fed2 there is a recipe for breakfast sausage seasoning.  Mel may even have it on her webiste.   www.theclothesmakethegirl.com  :)

Amber - To make your own pork breakfast sausage: http://paleomg.com/homemade-pork-breakfast-sausage/ (skip the sugar)

For the Aussies - I found the garlic a little too strong, I'd go about half next time.

I think the closest we have is McDonalds Sausage, our snags (Aussie slang for sausage) tend to be British style.

• Moderators

More like a rissole? :)

Had to look up rissole, not something I'm familiar with -- similar, but no bread crumbs, and usually it's all dried herbs/spices, no chunks of onions/other veggies -- which the rissole recipes I looked at seemed to have, although maybe I looked at atypical recipes. And depending on who makes it, it can be pretty spicy, usually with red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. Here you can buy it either already pre-formed into patties, or in tubes that you either shape into patties or just crumble and brown like any seasoned ground meat. 

And your McDonald's breakfast sausages look like they are probably similar, although here, they're usually pork, not beef. 

cmccoy, have you tried looking for a local place that makes sausage? Try sites like Eat Wild (US/Canada centric, but claims to also list international sources) or Local Harvest (US only, I think) to find places that sell grass-fed meats, and see if any of the places that sell pork make their own sausage. I found a place fairly close to me searching that way that makes msg-free, sugar-free sausages (breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, and bratwurst), as well as selling beef, pork, lamb and chicken. I kept looking because I really, really wanted sausage, and no matter what recipe I tried, it was just never quite the same. If you do want to make your own, this is the recipe I liked best (leaving the sugar out, obviously): http://www.homesicktexan.com/2008/02/breakfast-sausage-to-begin-day.html -- I'm not sure why it's just not the same when I do it myself, but this one came closer than some others I tried. 

I make my own breakfast patties with ground pork, fennel (I used ground fennel) cinnamon, sage and tumeric (I can't use pepper so I've been using a lot of tumeric). It's easy to make a bunch of these patties and bake them. You can then freeze them and microwave them in the morning for your breakfast. I find the more visible fat in the ground pork the better.

Amber - lol I hope not (not a rissole fan), I think of it more as a pure-meat-spicy-burger-pattie and unlike our Aussie burgers, often not beef :)

Zoodles - I had the same problem lol crumbling sausages sounds weird. The PaleOMG recipe is pretty good, I've baked them in muffin cups in the oven, for little portable proteins (go easy on the garlic if you want to keep your friends)

Now I need an Aussie recipe for not-sausage-roll meat spices and I can have a USA/AUS breakfast :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Thoughts?

This recipe is AWESOME... very much compliant and it tastes so good. I cook some up every week! I normally make it with ground beef because it's more readily available to me than pork, but the pork tastes very good as well. Make sure not to skip any of the ingredients and make sure to measure everything out! For spicy, I would add crushed red pepper flakes. Enjoy! (Also, I haven't formed them into balls or patties as the recipe suggests - I normally just toss the ingredients in while or immediately after browning the meat in a skillet)

http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/07/say-goodbye-to-jimmy-dean.html

Archived