Started Nov 7 - Almost gave up this morning but I'm still in

123Rae

Hello - I started my Whole30 journey on Nov 7.  This is a huge change for me.  The first 3 days I felt great, excited, motivated.  Day 4 was hard - not feeling well, less motivated.  I'm on day 5 and almost gave up this morning.  I felt nauseous, headache, tired of cooking, grumpy and I was so sure a bagel would fix all of that!  I've read that is normal so I guess being prepared is helping me through it.  I didn't eat the bagel and forced myself to eat a healthy breakfast and felt better afterward.  I have 2 teenagers with busy schedules and work full time so I feel so unsure that I can continue preparing fresh whole foods like this for every single meal.  Please tell me it gets easier!  I would love to get feedback on prepping for the week, quick meals when needed, time saver recipes.  I don't think I can continue prepping for each meal at mealtime - there's just not time. How do you all manage your time?!  I think the crock pot may need to come out more.  Point me toward easy recipes and time saving ideas please!

No need to cook at every single meal: I never do.

For breakfasts, I rotate through several baked frittata recipes that make 4 - 6 servings, so I have breakfast for days. 

Lunch is either leftovers, chicken or salmon salad, or sardines with a veg of choice.

Dinner-time is where I cook the most.  However, it's never every night.  Cook a lot at one time so you have leftovers, or use your crock pot.  Made a yummy batch of beef stew yesterday - we'll have many meals for a while with all that's left over.

Also, get the teenagers to help with the meal prep and cooking.  :)

Thanks. Frittata is a great idea. I'll have to look up some recipes. I do like to cook but with our busy lifestyle I gravitate towards the easy which unfortunately usually was processed or carb filled. And yes I need to enroll the teenagers :-)

Hi 123Rae. I started the same day you did. My wife is not doing Whole30 (yet!) and our kids are grown. Sort of the opposite end of the spectrum from you but brings its own issues! One site that is helping me with cooking is http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex . And if you have an iPad there is a nom nom paleo app that has pictures for every step. Worth the $5.99. SIMPLE things to make. I had the same symptoms as you on day 4. I've been a yo-yo all my life. Enough! You CAN do it!

Thank you GonnaMakeIt!! Thanks for the site - I have heard of it but not browsed it.  Will definitely check.  I feel better today - not completely - but I feel like I'm on the way up!  Thanks for the encouragement and best to you.  How are you feeling today?

Go here: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/

There is a 1 week planning template that I followed my first week that worked great.  The only thing I did differently the 2nd week was my vegetables.  I wash them, dry them, and cut them and put them in the fridge for either roasting or sauteing later in the week.  I do not "steam/saute" as the website suggests because I feel like I just have to do the same thing again later in the week and why do it twice? Otherwise it was a great way to get a jump start on my week.  I will warn you, though, it took me one complete day over the weekend.  But so worth it with easy weekly dinners.

Also, if you have a Kroger by you, they have rotisserie chickens from "Simple Truth" (their organic section) that are compliant -- that helps make an easy night dinner.

Thank you GonnaMakeIt!! Thanks for the site - I have heard of it but not browsed it.  Will definitely check.  I feel better today - not completely - but I feel like I'm on the way up!  Thanks for the encouragement and best to you.  How are you feeling today?

Thursday was much better, too! The cravings are going away and my sleep is improving. Funny thing happened yesterday. We began talking about Thanksgiving, guests, etc. We do it all, so now I'm already making a plan to be Whole30 compliant.

And cmccoy, thanks for the reference to planning for a week. Good stuff!

Archived