food allowed in whole30 but no brake for you

Freeeating

just wondering what are the food that are allowed in whole30, but you have a hard time to brake on, I am on D6, but already discovered at least 3 of them, what are yours?

1. nuts, especially cashew

2. grapes.

3. purple sweet potato

whenever I think about those, I will get excited and started drooling...

just curious, what do you guys do for those no brake food, ban them completely or change the way of eating them...so it was suggested eating them with a balanced meal...I sort of have been using them as my reward after meal right now, I think that is probably what caused the problem...

just curious, what do you guys do for those no brake food, ban them completely or change the way of eating them...so it was suggested eating them with a balanced meal...I sort of have been using them as my reward after meal right now, I think that is probably what caused the problem...

Yes I think that is the problem - don't reward yourself with food! This feeds the habit that we need to get rid of on Whole30 :) I was doing the same thing with Medjool Dates after a meal. I would only have 2 (the recommended serving), but I felt like it was not a good habit to continue since I couldn't wait to get my hands on them after I ate!

If it's something that is allowed on whole30 but on the "in moderation" list, such as fruit, nuts, nut butters, and dates, I would try to avoid them as much as possible and/or change how you eat them. If it's something like a veggie or meat prepared a certain way, then have all you want!

Dates are terrible for me. I don't want them at all unless I eat one, then I crave sugary things. 

Dates, pineapple, anything high in sugar. I generally skip the dates altogether (I think they're too high GI for my blood sugar) and limit portion sizes of other naturally-sugary things.

Fruit and nuts for me. I generally don't eat them, so they are like "cheat" foods for me. If I start eating fruit and nuts, I know I'm about to fall off plan and I can reign it in before I go eat something REALLY off plan. Eating fruit and nuts is like driving past a "Danger! Slippery Road Ahead!" sign.

Mine is macadamia nuts, so they have been banished from the house--I will eat an entire can from Costco with out a second thought! Bad nuts!! But other nuts are eh so they are ok and I have almond butter and sunbutter that are just used in recipes. 

Ummmm I would have to say roasted veg--but is that really a bad thing? lol Love veggies so much more then fruit. homemade creamy salad dressings--I think that and my love of veg actually stems from when I was a child and my mom tried to keep me to a 900kcal diet growing up and I was allowed to eat alllllllll the non starchy veggies I could eat (like a head of ice burg instead of 2 oreos) but they were dry and I wasn't allowed creamy dressings or more than a tsp of butter or oil (yep). So being able to make home made mayo ranch dressing and dip baby carrots and celery and other yummy veggies is like a dream come true--and it is even good for me makes it even better!! 

All that sugary stuff designed to be like paleo candy - larabars, trail mix, etc. Apples with cashew butter. Mmmm. I love apples and cashew butter. I wish I had that right now!!!!

Something that was a food without brakes for me was also carrots and dips - guac, baba ghannoush, etc - but I never minded "overeating" those things. 

All that sugary stuff designed to be like paleo candy - larabars, trail mix, etc. Apples with cashew butter. Mmmm. I love apples and cashew butter. I wish I had that right now!!!!

Something that was a food without brakes for me was also carrots and dips - guac, baba ghannoush, etc - but I never minded "overeating" those things. 

I second the baba ganoush! It's soooo good.

I second the baba ganoush! It's soooo good.

My neighborhood market sells some that is 100% compliant. I love it. I buy it every week. I used to be a huge hummus person but switched to this to avoid legumes...though I love making my own hummus too! Mmmm veggies and dip. The BEST! And ranch-mayo. 

Before the whole30 I would eat veggies and dip with deli turkey and cheese and those Mary's gone crackers for lunch like every day. Its still my favorite lunch!!! So many textures and flavors and crunchies! But I have to be careful or I'll overdo it on the crackers and cheese. :) 

Any dried fruit, nut or nut butter can set me off for hours.

I have to avoid compliant Lara Bars.  Sugar is sugar as far as triggers go so if I want to succeed in taming my sugar dragon I need to stay away from fruit sugars as well.   :angry:  Fresh fruit is much less of a problem than dried and I find I can eat and apple or a pear without any issue.  Nut butters make me start grazing the cabinet… for dark chocolate.  I should just toss the open jars, but they are so expensive!

Mine is macadamia nuts, so they have been banished from the house--I will eat an entire can from Costco with out a second thought! Bad nuts!! 

Did that last night. Bought them to make pesto, opened the bag to just eat one…. no pesto is going to be happening  :wacko:

Gah! For me its nuts, especially cashews and almond butter, and bananas. As soon as I eat a banana with almond butter on whole30 its a red flag that Im about to give into sugar craving....hahaha....I ate one today....was a warning to me to stay on track. Also any starchy veg thats been roasted in animal fat...but I'm okay with that one. I'm learning to self control it.

Nuts, nut butters, dried fruit (prunes, dates, raisins) and recently found that fresh fruit all make me want to keep eating and crave sugar!! I avoid all fruits and nuts on my Whole30s. Now if I crave something like that I'll drink a cup of tea (throat comfort yogi tea is the BEST) or take a bite of a chicken leg or something w/ protein and fat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Macadamia nuts, pistachios (ok almost any nuts), almond butter, coconut flakes (even plain!).

I have stopped eating nuts out of hand. I've restricted them to an accent (tossed in with pan-fried brussels sprouts or atop Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed) and then I do fine.

I also find I do much better with the sugar dragon by eating veggies instead of (any) fruit. The sweetness in fruit somehow makes me crave more sweet. Again, it's fine if I toss some fruit in a dish as an accent (chopped pineapple in Well Fed's curry cauliflower rice).

Archived