food allowed in whole30 but no brake for you

Freeeating

just curious, what do you guys do for those no brake food, ban them completely or change the way of eating them...so it was suggested eating them with a balanced meal...I sort of have been using them as my reward after meal right now, I think that is probably what caused the problem...

For me, I cannot live by stead fast rules and eating food with no brakes  varies- sometimes they have to be banned because they lead to my demise and other times i am able to have them in moderation with a meal ( handful of cashew nuts, plaintain chips, raisins...) and be satisfied. 

I loathe to say this, but for me it is hormonal and/or emotional eating. Nine months post whole 30, i am still trying figure out a balance, normalcy...  i prefer to eat healthy (sans allergies) and have chosen to stick to the template. it's become more about awareness around my decisions for those times i am eating "off".

i completely blew Thanksgiving and it started with Wednesdays dinner the night before. the consequence was feeling like crap (i cannot describe how miserable i was on so many levels). so Friday after the holiday, i pulled myself back in with sticking to the template 100%. I like it better.

For me, anything I can keep 'picking at', like dates, nuts or cut-up fruit.  I'm on Day 5, and am trying to curtail this habit by pulling enough out of the bag to eat in moderation and then putting the bag back (and out of sight!).  I'm also trying to limit myself to one serving per day while I'm starting out.  

It's not so much the food I'm eating that worries me, but the habit of going back into the bag and eating until the last one is gone.  I'm trying to break that over the remaining 25 days.

Gah! For me its nuts, especially cashews and almond butter, and bananas. As soon as I eat a banana with almond butter on whole30 its a red flag that Im about to give into sugar craving....hahaha....I ate one today....was a warning to me to stay on track. Also any starchy veg thats been roasted in animal fat...but I'm okay with that one. I'm learning to self control it.

Almond butter on a banana is like a little taste of heaven to me.  It has natural breaks though, for me anyway.  Peel one banana, put a.b. on it and I'm as happy as a clam (whatever that means).  But I must admit I get very excited about having this particular treat!!!  :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Plantains... any way you want to cook them, and lord help me if my Cuban grandmother calls telling me she made a batch of homemade plantain chips (sliced and fried with olive oil, so technically compliant). It's a miracle if the bag makes it home and I live less than five minutes from her. And I won't even go there with tostones. I drool just thinking about it.

I can also put away lbs of grapes in one sitting and have been known to eat an entire watermelon by myself.

Larabars.

I know they are supposed to be emergency food but they never seem to last until I have an emergency. I am only on day 2 and have eaten 2 Larabars in the last 16 hours (9 hours of which I spent sleeping).

The rest are going in a box in the trunk of the car to be actual emergency food.  

Also, Almonds are a huge food without brakes for DH and I so we started buying them still in the shell. There are 10 pounds of almonds in the cupboard but if I want them I have to get out the nutcracker and work for them. It's really slowed us down. We will still have almonds when we are playing board games but you can only eat one in between turns instead of putting back a handful.

This post showing up at the top of the forum is exactly what I was just evaluating.

Mine right now are berries and bacon. I thought I could cook bacon and keep it to put a little in my mashed cauliflower or with steamed carrots, more as a seasoning. I took the cookie sheet out of the oven and had eaten 5 pieces before I really thought about it. I was just going to have one I swear!!! No more bacon for quite a while. :(. Once I had that salty I wanted something sweet and finished off the blackberries in the fridge.

All the food I ate was whole30 complaint but the motives behind eating it was not. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

Well Fed's Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon. It's Death By Yum. Even though I'm not currently on a W30, we stick fairly close to the plan. This soup, however, has me standing at the fridge wanting to have some more. This will definitely have to go in the "special treats" category.

Lara Bars for me, too. Not that I want them all the time, just that they're so sweet, they're like a candy bar to me. I haven't had a single one in the four days I've been on the Whole30, and I'm hoping to go the entire time without them.

I haven't bought any Larabars this time around yet for that exact reason! I also have trouble with cashews, pistachios and dried fruit. Thankfully I have to make a major effort to get to a store where these foods are priced reasonably for my budget so I don't have them on hand too often.

Archived