Karyna's Second whole30 - beginning 11 Nov

Karyna

On 11 Nov, I decided I would do another whole30. My first whole30 from 16 Sep - 15 Oct was quite successful, and I absolutely loved it. Yes, I had my moments of near-weakness (day 14 - a birthday party and wanting to punch someone for a slice of cake) and exhaustion (with Tiger Blood finally coming into existence near the last five days). But I loved the freedom that the rules of the whole30 gave me - I knew exactly what I could and could not have, and therefore I wouldn't need to ask the questions of, "There's a lovely piece of cake. Can I just have one? Should I have another?"

I finished the last five days of the whole30 while on holiday in Palma de Mallorca, Spain. I felt quite empowered knowing exactly what I could eat from the all-inclusive buffet. When I began my reintroductions, I first started off with grains and alcohol. And I was enlightened by what my body could and could not handle.

After my reintroductions, I went back into a Paleo lifestyle... which began to slip more and more each weekend to the point of horrible middle of the night stomach pangs by the toilet. 

So I realised that my sugar dragon has yet to be tamed and thought that another whole30 (or whole40 or 45 depending on how I feel and possibly taking a break at Christmas and New Year before launching into another whole30 (or wholeINDEFINITE)) would do me some good.

Day 1 Menu

M1 - fried egg in ghee, chicken, sautéed kale and sweet potato fries
M2 - gammon, sweet potato mash, burnt broccoli
Snack (as had to eat something after donating blood) - tea with almond milk, banana and cashew nuts
M3 - grilled sea bass, cauliflower mash, sautéed kale

Good start so far! 

Whole30 Day 2

Another day and I was exhausted this morning so I skipped my workout. Eating was okay today except for the little bit of snacking before my m2 and m3 due to delays. But overall a good eating day!

M1 - sweet potato, parsnip, pork and egg casserole with spinach and a banana
M2 - cashew nuts, olives, butterflies chicken with Peri Peri sauce and ratatouille
Snack - banana (had nothing else!)
M3 - #WellFed Cinnamon Beef Stew by @melicious11 with cauliflower mash

1463764_10100283404193725_235604051_n.jp

Day 3 - 13 Nov 2013

I woke up at 5:15 this morning not too exhausted. I had my preWO snack of a hard boiled egg, then started my workout at 5:45. I'm really not enjoying Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 Level 2. I find the second circuit just difficult that I can't actually do the move and therefore have no benefit from it. 

Anyone else tried other workouts like TurboFire?

Whole30 Day 3 (13 Nov)

Here is my menu for the day:

I found myself pretty hungry by the time lunch rolled around at 12:15. And then at about 3pm I get a bit peckish so I had an apple. 

Whenever I get home from work, I am quite hungry and then end up eating cashew nuts while I make dinner then eat them as part of my dinner as well, knowing that it is a much larger portion of fat than I should be having at the meal. I am realising that I need to make my portions slightly bigger or eat a bit later for lunch to avoid the mad rush to the cashew nuts when I get home from work.

PreWO - hard boiled egg
PostWO - chicken and sweet potato chips
M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach and coffee with almond milk
M2 - salmon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale, burnt broccoli, a banana and cashew nuts
Snack - apple (I didn't have anything else!) and green tea
M3 - taco salad and cashew nuts

Overall a good day!
1468629_10100283947105725_1601908722_n.j

Day 4 - and slept in so couldn't get my workout in this morning! So I have done it over the lunch hour at work.

It is now 1:16pm and I had breakfast just before 9am and I was happily satisfied until my preWO snack at 12 - no starving hunger pangs like yesterday. 

My M1 for today was:

- primal breakfast casserole

- spinach salad

- banana

- cashew nuts

- coffee with almond milk

I had my preWO snack of a hard boiled egg. I just finished 30 min on the elliptical and tried to do day 18 of the 30 day plank challenge (150sec) and only managed to do 60 sec so will try again tonight. 

PostWO meal is grilled chicken and baked sweet potato. Now back at my desk and will eat lunch in about 45-60 min.

M2 will be:

- grilled salmon and some grilled chicken (to up the protein)

- sweet potato mash

- sauteed kale

- burnt broccoli

- cashew nuts

I will not snack today!

M3 will be at about 7 which will be:

- leftover taco salad with homemade guacamole

I have my weekly mums knit group tonight (a group of mums who get together every Thursday night without kids to sit and knit, gossip and eat cake) where I will go and bring my almond milk and have some tea, no cake. 

Oh, and I purchased TurboFire last night off of amazon. Hope it arrives by next week so I can start the new 90 day programme. I hope that TurboFire will help to burn off more fat and help tone up the muscle I know is under there. Eek!

Whole30 Day 5

The day started well, with a workout of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred level 3 (thought I would do this in between Ripped in 30 level 2&3). I then baked some Paleo blueberry and lemon scones which had 1-2tbsp honey for the whole recipe (11 scones). And they were tempting me all day... And towards the end of the day, when I was starving and trying to appease a 2yr old who had been crying for about an hour straight, I fed her the scone and in the processed succumbed to the scone myself... Well, half of it. Is 1/8 or smaller tsp of honey going to affect me?! Bleh.

PreWO - hard boiled egg

PostWO - chicken and baked sweet potato

M1 - primal breakfast casserole and spinach

M2 - sirloin steak, salad, banana and cashew nuts

Snack - 1/2 Paleo lemon blueberry scone

M3 - pork chop, egg, sautéed kale, sweet potato hash, and cashew nuts

And my TurboFire has arrived! Well I pick it up tomorrow as the delivery guy didn't knock loudly enough for me to hear it... But can't wait to start it on Sunday!

Whole30 Day 6

So, after the tiny disaster of the honey in the Paleo scone yesterday, today was a new day... I find it funny that I can eat eggs fried, over easy, soft or hard boiled and scrambled but I don't like omelettes. Is that weird?

The other night I also had a food dream... Where I thought my husband gave me sandwiches and I ate them without thinking and I got mad at us both... And then I woke up.

So excited to do the first day of #turbofire tomorrow!

Tomorrow is also meal prep day and plans to go to church and Westfield and Southbank. Hmm... M1 - egg, two pieces bacon, sautéed kale and sweet potato chips

M2 - my amazing tuna avocado salad with soft boiled eggs, banana and cashew nuts

Snack - dried strawberries and cashew nuts

M3 - pork chop seasoned with garlic and rosemary, sautéed kale and sweet potato chips, cashew nuts and dried strawberries

Whole30 Day 7 / Week 1 Day 1 of Turbofire

One week of #whole30 done! And I feel great compared to the first time I did the whole30.

And this morning's work out #turbofire was insane. I thought I had a good level of fitness but this just pushed me to another level. And I thought I could do choreography in aerobics classes but was I wrong. I need to do this at least another 2-3 times to get it right.

PreWO - HB egg

PostWO - chicken with sweet potato chips

M1 - two eggs, bacon, burnt broccoli

M2 - tuna, avocado and spinach salad with hard boiled eggs, cashew nuts, banana and dried fruit

M3 - slow cooker pulled pork with lettuce (simple but it was the perfect balance of flavours and textures) and cashews

I love my slow cooker. My hubby dubbed tonight's pulled pork as the best he has tried. Best £ 12 I ever spent!

Whole30 Day 8 (Mon 18 Nov)

I woke up this morning with the worst lower back pain ever, and therefore #turbofire day 2 (HIIT 15 + STRETCH 10) postponed until tomorrow to let myself heal. Not sure what I did to it.

The day was going well... Until I fell down a flight of stairs at work, bruising my legs all over and cutting my knee (and embarrassingly have my skirt fly up). Thankfully the railing saved me as I clung onto it for dear life to prevent me from falling at full speed into the wall and I was examined by a first wider and a doctor.

And I cried. Like a baby. In front of my work colleagues. So embarrassing. :(

So no exercising for me at all today and possibly tomorrow. Oh dear.

M1 - parsnip, sweet potato, pork mince, and egg casserole with a coffee with almond milk
M2 - gammon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale, banana and cashew nuts
M3 - cashew nuts, prosciutto, sautéed kale and chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke wrapped in prosciutto (yum!)

Hopefully tomorrow is a less accident prone day.

#paleo #paleofood #paleolife #whole9 #whole30 #wwfooddiary #accidentprone #cleaneating
1426512_10100287354272735_533102439_n.jp

Day 9

Another day without exercise as I am still sore from my fall down the stairs yesterday ... I found quite a few BIG bruises so I decided to give it a rest today.

Today was also an off site team meeting and the staff at @wallacespace in Covent Garden were so accommodating of the whole30. Amazing!

M1 - omelette and strawberries and cashew nuts and Brazil nuts and coffee w/ coconut milk
M2 - grilled lemon chicken, spinach salad, avocado, banana and cashew nuts
Snack - dried fruit, strawberries and cashew nuts
M3 - pulled pork, lettuce and cashew nuts

Okay I went a bit overboard on the cashew nuts today AND I snacked when I knew better. :(

Hope to exercise tomorrow!

1379688_10100288202662555_751741540_n.jp

Day 10 - last night I went to bed at about 10:30pm, but only after looking at my phone for a good 15 minutes. I NEED TO STOP DOING THIS. I'M GLUED TO MY PHONE AND NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS HABIT.

My daughter woke me up at 2:30am and it took me another 45 minutes to get back to sleep.

But, I did wake up at 5:15am, and got a great workout in. I really liked Turbofire's HIIT15+Stretch10. Worked me, challenged me and quickly too!

Great start to the day!

Hi Karyna,

I started on the same day as you, and thank you for posting your days on here. I read through each and every one of them. I could totally relate to going overboard on the cashews but what I did notice is that you were aware of it, and know you need to do better. That's what I keep telling myself on days when I KNOW I should ease up on something. The next day will be better. 

I also found it CRAZY that I had lower back pain on the same day you did... WHAT?? 

Good luck on the rest of your journey! I might just take a page from you and start posting on here for more accountability. 

Linda

Whole30 Day 10

I did manage to exercise today and it felt great! Loved the HIIT workout in TurboFire! I am also noticing my energy is quite consistent throughout the day which is good!

PreWO - hard boiled egg
M1 - breakfast casserole and spinach salad with coffee with almond milk
M2 - grilled salmon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale and burnt broccoli, banana and cashew nuts
M3 - prosciutto wrapped chicken stuffed with spinach and artichoke, sautéed kale, cashew nuts and dried fruit

971391_10100288983996755_2114577246_n.jp

Hi Karyna,

I started on the same day as you, and thank you for posting your days on here. I read through each and every one of them. I could totally relate to going overboard on the cashews but what I did notice is that you were aware of it, and know you need to do better. That's what I keep telling myself on days when I KNOW I should ease up on something. The next day will be better. 

I also found it CRAZY that I had lower back pain on the same day you did... WHAT?? 

Good luck on the rest of your journey! I might just take a page from you and start posting on here for more accountability. 

Linda

How funny that our journeys are so similar - I'm glad to hear that someone feels the way I do about cashew nuts! I used to HATE nuts when I was younger. Now I love them!

How is your back now? Mine is gone thankfully but the bruises from the stair fall are still there!

How funny that our journeys are so similar - I'm glad to hear that someone feels the way I do about cashew nuts! I used to HATE nuts when I was younger. Now I love them!

How is your back now? Mine is gone thankfully but the bruises from the stair fall are still there!

Its getting better but I've always had back problems so I have learned how to deal with it to make it better... a couple nights laying on the floor, some yoga, and lots of stretching helps alot. So... I love beachbody products too... I am doing Shaun T's Focus T25 right now and I LOVE it. Its helped me learn to watch my form alot more than I ever have. Hope you have a wonderful day! :)

Whole30 Day 11

I woke up at 5am to do the TurboFire Fire30+Stretch10 workout and I am getting the choreography and loving the workout!

The day went well overall... Until I started baking for knit group. Eeeeek! I was baking a cake today knowing that because it is completely non compliant I would not have it. If I made something Paleo I would have been more tempted thinking, "It's only honey..." As I was making it, I tasted the dough to make sure it was okay... And then realised after what I had done!!!! And the tiny amount of butter, milk, flour, sugar set a off a rumble in my tummy that was not pleasant. Ugh.

Can't believe I did that!

PreWO - hard boiled egg

PostWO - chicken and sweet potato fries

M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach salad, coffee with almond milk

M2 - salmon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale, burnt broccoli, cashews, banana and dried fruit

M3 - grilled sea bass, burnt broccoli, sweet potato fries and cashews

Bleh.

Day 12

Great early start to the day with a TurboFire Fire55 workout! I feel a bit out of shape with these but my fitness will get better.

My snacking still needs to be worked on.

PreWO - hard boiled egg

PostWO - grilled chicken and sweet potato chips

M1 - primal breakfast casserole and spinach salad, coffee with almond milk

M2 - chicken stuffed with artichoke and spinach wrapped in prosciutto, sweet potato mash, burnt broccoli, banana

Snack - cashew nuts, dried strawberries

M3 - courgette noodles with spinach and artichoke and prawns - delicious!

Although had a few stomach pains after dinner... Not sure why.

Day 13 (Sat 23 Nov)

I woke up quite tired and with a bit of a headache today so I was not up to working out so early... Plus with my daughter being sick with a cough and cold, she required some extra attention today.

However, when she was lying down and watching a movie and resting, I did find the time to do Fire30+Stretch10 from TurboFire. Yay!

M1 - courgette fritters, bacon and coffee with almond milk

PreWO - soft boiled egg

M2 - tuna avocado salad, two soft boiled eggs, cashews and a banana

M3 - Italian Eggplant Strata from @melicious11 #WellFed cookbook with sautéed kale, cashew nuts and dried strawberries

The Italian Eggplant Strata was delicious and I found it not too difficult to make. My husband loved it too.

Day 14 - two weeks in and I remember this point in my first whole30 a couple of months ago, at a birthday party, wanting to rip my hair out for a piece of birthday cake. Could not be any more different to today. Stayed indoors as my daughter is stIll sick, so I was able to plan and do some meal prep. I also did day 7 of week 1 of TurboFire which was Core20+Stretch40 which was a relaxing workout compared to the high impact of the rest of the week.

M1 - two eggs, bacon, sweet potato chips, burnt broccoli

M2 - courgette noodles with shrimp and spinach artichoke sauce, banana, cashew nuts

M3 - slow cooker pulled pork, sautéed kale, sweet potato chips, cashew nuts

I felt exhausted this afternoon though and wanted to nap... Maybe it was the lazy day and the headache?

Whole30 Day 15 - halfway!

I woke up at 4:45 this morning to get in my TurboFire Week 2 Day 1 workout - Fire45+Stretch10. Another great dance-y and kickboxing workout where I felt slightly uncoordinated. I felt great after but my energy waned throughout the day, especially in the afternoon.

I will probably go to bed early tonight...after a few episodes of Dawson's Creek on Lovefilm while I knit. Guilty pleasure.

PreWO - soft boiled egg

PostWO - chicken with sweet potato chips

M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach, coffee with almond milk

M2 - tuna avocado salad, two soft boiled eggs, banana and cashew nuts

M3 - Italian Eggplant Strata, sweet potato chunks, sautéed kale and fried fruit

Why so tired today? Maybe I was bored too. Hmm.

Hi everyone!

Sorry to be MIA - it's been a busy few days and I now have my daughter's horrible cold. Ugh. Saturday night, I went to bed at 9:30 as I was so exhausted. Same with Sunday night... then today I left work at midday and took a two hour nap at home and am tempted to go to bed in about an hour which will be 9:15pm. Ugh. No tiger blood here.

Day 16

I woke up at 5:15am to do Week 2 Day 2 of TurboFire which was HIIT20+Stretch10 so high intensity circuits for 20min plus a long stretch session.

My energy seemed steady throughout the day and I have had no headaches which is a huge change from my first whole30. There were also cakes at work and while tempting, being on the whole30 made it easy to say no. However, if I weren't on the whole30, it may be a lot harder...

PreWO - soft boiled egg
M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach, coffee with almond milk
M2 - gammon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale, cashew nuts and a banana
Snack - coffee with almond milk
M3 - pulled pork, sweet potato chips, sautéed kale, dried fruit

Day 17

Rest day from my workouts and I thought I would get a chance to sleep in a bit. Nope... Still woke up at 5. But I did sleep very well and did not feel too tired.

However snacking came back with a vengeance today. More cashew nuts... Gah.

M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach salad, coffee with almond milk, cashew nuts
M2 - grilled salmon, sweet potato mash, asparagus, banana, cashew nuts and dried fruit
Snack - cashew nuts and coffee with almond milk
M3 - pork chop, burnt broccoli, sweet potato chips, cashew nuts, dried fruit

Will I extend this due to the contamination of the Paleo scone and licking of the batter of the cinnamon cake last week? Maybe. I still need to think about it...

Day 18

Today's workout was HIIT+15 and Sculpt30 which I found so fun. I am loving TurboFire!

However this Tiger Blood I am supposed to exhibit is not showing itself...

PreWO - soft boiled egg
M1 - primal breakfast casserole , spinach salad and coffee with almond milk
M2 - grilled salmon, asparagus, sweet potato mash, cashew nuts and a banana
M3 - pork chop, sweet potato chips and sautéed kale

Day 19

Today was an emotionally challenging day for me, and I had a lot on my mind that I needed to get control over. But thankfully, food and exercise were both on track today. I did feel the need to nap this afternoon though... Where is this tiger blood?

PreWO - soft boiled egg
Workout - TurboFire Fire 55EZ (loving the cardio!)
M1 - two eggs, bacon, sautéed kale, sweet potato chips, banana
M2 - sweet potato chips, pulled pork, sautéed kale, cashew nuts and dried strawberries
M3 - courgette noodles Ina ghee sauce, prawns, cashew nuts

Day 20

I realised I have not been strict with my snacking. I made a decision today. No more snacking. I let myself slip every day and have eaten WAAAY too many cashews and dried fruit. I must limit myself to the recommended portion size and stick to it.

M1 - courgette fritters and scrambled eggs, coffee with almond milk

M2 - grilled paprika and sage chicken, sweet potato chips, sautéed kale and a banana

Workout - Core20 + Stretch40 - so a good hour of core exercises and yoga.

PostWO - chicken
M3 - beef Bolognese with courgette noodles and handful of dried strawberries

No cashews at all today so success on the snacking front! Whoo!

Day 21

I went to bed last night at 9:30 as I was so exhausted. I am feeling the same way tonight... I woke up with a terrible cold and sore throat. I am sure I caught it from one of Robyn's many sneezes in my face. Ugh.

But I did eat well today and exercised. I am so LOVING TurboFire. I didn't even need the new to class option!

And I went to church today for the first Sunday of Advent (and Robyn was good and manageable during the mass!) and then... I went up for communion and had the bread and a sip of wine without thinking until after! Crap. It has been a while since I've been to church that I COMPLETELY FORGOT.

Robyn and I then met up with a friend and had lunch at Wetherspoon's which was actually compliant, thank goodness. It can be done!

PreWO - soft boiled egg
M1 - egg, beef Bolognese, sautéed kale, banana
M2 - chicken breast and pepper skewers with salad, cashew nuts and dried strawberries
M3 - slow cooker roast beef (um... So good!), sweet potato hash, sautéed kale

Day 22

I am so stuffed up with a head cold today. I couldn't get out of bed to do my workout, and I left work at midday to get a two hour nap and here I am still feeling crap. Ugh. But at least the eating was good.

M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach salad, banana and coffee with almond milk

M2 - gammon, sweet potato mash, kale sauteed in ghee, and 14 cashew nuts and small handful of dried strawberries

M3 - sea bass sauteed in ghee, burnt broccoli, sweet potato chips/fries

Only eight days left... and in those eight days, I have a team Christmas lunch at work, a Christmas fair...

Once day 31 rolls around, I will allow myself the special occasions (team Christmas dinner, knit group Christmas night) but then will stay compliant until Christmas where I will treat myself again (although I do plan on making Christmas dinner itself compliant while making the desserts my major treat), then back to another whole 30/45/60 or however long I want to go for on January 1st.

How is everyone doing today?

Day 23

I felt well enough this morning to actually do a workout - TurboFire Fire 45EZ + stretch10. It was a huge improvement above yesterday.

Today our team also had a course at The School Of Life near Russell Square where they had pastries on offer... And I so badly wanted one. I just imagined biting into the flaky pastry ... Ugh. But instead I enjoyed my homemade healthy compliant breakfast.

PreWO - soft boiled egg
M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach salad, banana, coffee with almond milk
M2 - grilled salmon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale, banana and 14 cashew nuts
M3 - beef schnitzel, sweet potato chips, burnt broccoli, small handful of dried strawberries

I don't know how successful I feel with this whole30. I just picture day 31 and onwards and all the baked goods I want. Ugh. But it will probably take me longer than the 30 days to kill that sugar dragon...

But then I thought, my lifestyle before of indulging on the weekends and being very good during the week (partly Paleo and also using Arbonne shakes) worked really well for me. Or was it?

So confusing but I guess it is about experimenting and seeing what works.

1459262_10100298580749785_772321339_n.jp
Day 24

Day started out well with my workout and breakfast...

Then I went out for lunch, and thought I was being compliant with an avocado and bacon salad (and after eating realised bacon was probably cured with sugar ) and an omelette with smoked salmon. After a couple of bites I then asked if it was made with milk - yep. Crap.

So I changed to a steak and salad instead.

I feel a bit foggy and some slight stomach cramps but nothing else.

I just feel so stupid and angry with myself for not checking.

Ugh.

PreWO - soft boiled egg
M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach salad
M2 - bacon and avocado salad, steak and salad, banana and apple
M3 - roast beef , sweet potato chips, burnt broccoli, sautéed kale, 14 cashews, handful of dried strawberries

1441396_10100299283671125_907382071_n.jp

Day 25

Late post - yesterday was our team's Christmas lunch which the catering team accommodated so it was whole30 compliant for me! And it tasted wonderful and I didn't feel like I was missing out!

PreWO - soft boiled egg
M1 - primal breakfast casserole, spinach salad, coffee with almond milk
M2 - salmon and sweet potato tian with red pepper coulis, slow roasted buffalo with brussel sprouts and roasted root vegetables, and fruit salad 
M3 - pork medallions with sautéed kale and onions with sweet potato chips, handful of dried fruit 

1468814_10100300604808555_117128434_n.jp

Day 26

Another late post. I am getting lazy. And I am wanting baked goods. All sorts. In my first whole30 I felt so great in the last days and I couldn't imagine eating any crap afterwards where now I am looking forward to indulging. But I guess it is the Christmas season...

We went to Winter Wonderland today and I was amazed at all the unhealthy (albeit delicious) food being sold and while part of me wanted it, another part of me is happy to be on the whole30 and not eat any of it.

PreWO- soft boiled egg
M1 - scrambled eggs, bacon, burnt broccoli, banana
M2 - chicken and pepper skewers, salad, 14 cashew nuts and small handful of dried strawberries
M3 - salmon, sweet potato mash, sautéed kale, dried strawberries and cashew nuts 

1451493_10100301197515765_469593039_n.jp

Whole30 Day 27 (Saturday)

I felt lazy and exhausted yesterday. Bleh. And I only did the core20 of TurboFire and not the stretch40. Oh well.

M1 - courgette fritters
M2 - eggs, prosciutto, sweet potato chips, sautéed kale, cashew nuts and dried fruit
M3 - courgette noodles, beef Bolognese, cashew nuts, dried fruit 

1450800_10100301838970285_2073470958_n.j

Archived