hi,

this is my first post! i was not able to locate a previous conversation about this. if there is one, please direct me to it. thanks!

i have realized part of my bad dietary/health habits relate to my grinding/"needing" to snack/previously smoking/etc. needs. when i was younger, i chewed on pen caps, my hair, straws, whatever. as an adult smoking became a main stay... i am no longer a smoker. through the years i have broken teeth to due my harsh teeth grinding at night. i do currently wear a mouth guard at night for this issue. now with trying to eat only 3 meals a day without snacking, i am having an issue overcoming the issue to do something with my mouth. it has resulted in day time grinding/clenching and/or snacking which obviously isn't recommended. for the most part i have been able to deal with the unhealthy psychological needs/desires for eating by talking it out/identifying the unhealthy source/etc., but this aspect is driving me nuts!!

how have others over come this issue?

thanks!!

barbara

Honestly? Patience and some more patience. I used to have this oral fixation - smoking, gum chewing, hand to mouth and you name it (never made it to objects though). Exercising mindfulness requires effort, but it is worth it. Every time you are about to put something into you mouth - pause and aknowledge the fact. Not in the middle of the process, not post factum, but before. Every. Single. Time. Start there. Good luck. 

I'm working on finding out the source of the tension I constantly hold in my body that makes me clench my jaw. Since starting Whole30 in  June I have become increasingly aware of it, and I keep having to consciously relax my jaw. I think I have done this my whole life, but only recently become aware of it. I'm a person who comes across as laid-back and relaxed, but inside I am wound up tight. I guess I'm more of a control freak than I ever knew  :blink: . Anyway, @barbwhite, I think for me the answer is going to be found in stress-release techniques, maybe that meditation practice I've been meaning to take up but never do. And also, I know my daily "fun" quotient is deficient--maybe yours too? Everybody needs regular play time, and it's hard for some of us to let go enough.

Archived