Cranberries?

Nuthouse86

Cranberries are delicious in chicken salad.

Boil chicken with lemons in the water.

Cube, put mayo, compliant mustard (Not a ton) I like German or Dijon, chopped onions, chopped pecans, cranberries and salt and pepper.  Bam! Delicious stuff.

Sweet, savory, cruchy and zesty.  Best of all worlds!

Oh sorry, I use dried cranberries.  I kinda forgot that bit of info.  The use of the dried cranberries adds a tang and sweetness to it.

I am not sure how fresh ones would work or their flavor profile once they are cooked.  I can't say I use them except in different types of salads. 

:(

AWESOME in a sweet potato mash.  I used maple syrup in the past to sweeten, but this year I will just rely on the sweetness of the potatoes and *maybe* some fresh squeezed orange juice.  I do cook them down just a bit in water until the just begin to pop open.  I think this is where I will add ½ OJ and ½ water.  Pineapple juice might work, too?  Maybe even add a banana instead to the potato mash to sweeten it up.  Biting into the berry will still give you a tartness some might not like.  Cinnamon and nutmeg are good spices here along with a little sea salt.

My mother in law used to put raw cranberries into a food processor and grind them up.  She added other things to it like walnuts and probably Cool Whip (HAHA) afterwards but the base flavor was pretty good!  You could process them to a chunk and make a salsa with orange segments, avocado, sea salt, cinnamon and the juice from an orange?  Or organic apple cider?  I know drinking juice isn't great, but I don't know about using a little here.  Also, you could process the with dates for some real sweetness?

This might taste good on pulled pork lettuce wraps.

AWESOME in a sweet potato mash. I used maple syrup in the past to sweeten, but this year I will just rely on the sweetness of the potatoes and *maybe* some fresh squeezed orange juice. I do cook them down just a bit in water until the just begin to pop open. I think this is where I will add ½ OJ and ½ water. Pineapple juice might work, too? Maybe even add a banana instead to the potato mash to sweeten it up. Biting into the berry will still give you a tartness some might not like. Cinnamon and nutmeg are good spices here along with a little sea salt.

This concept of making sweet pot/pumpkin stuff sweet still spins me out - I think if we served that up at the dinner table, we'd get some strange looks!

I love cranberry and macadamia together - goes nicely with chicken or turkey (used to use it in stuffing), or in salads :)

This concept of making sweet pot/pumpkin stuff sweet still spins me out - I think if we served that up at the dinner table, we'd get some strange looks!

I love cranberry and macadamia together - goes nicely with chicken or turkey (used to use it in stuffing), or in salads 

You must not have grown up in the midwest.   ;)   The recipes I have for a sweet potato mash/casserole for Thanksgiving all have 1/3 cup or more of brown sugar added.  Eggs, maple syrup, lemon juice, spices, nuts… really quite good.  I actually think I am going to try the banana idea.  1 banana to several pounds of potatoes.  Not many regular old eaters are going to want to bite into an unsweetened cranberry/potato dish in my family; especially the berries.

You must not have grown up in the midwest. ;) The recipes I have for a sweet potato mash/casserole for Thanksgiving all have 1/3 cup or more of brown sugar added. Eggs, maple syrup, lemon juice, spices, nuts… really quite good. I actually think I am going to try the banana idea. 1 banana to several pounds of potatoes. Not many regular old eaters are going to want to bite into an unsweetened cranberry/potato dish in my family; especially the berries.

Not even close....a completely different west - Western Australia :D (no thanksgiving either!)

Usually, I make a sauce with cranberries/white sugar/water - boil until cooked down. Then add chopped frozen strawberries (so the juice melts into the mix).

This year, I'm going to experiment with replacing the sugar/water with apple juice. Maybe it'll work?

Oh sorry, I use dried cranberries.  I kinda forgot that bit of info.  The use of the dried cranberries adds a tang and sweetness to it.

I am not sure how fresh ones would work or their flavor profile once they are cooked.  I can't say I use them except in different types of salads. 

:(

dried ones would be easier and probably more tasty.  Cooked ones to me, have a bitter taste and would have to be sweetened some how...May be use orange juice?

Archived