El Pollo Loco

Piscfish

I haven't seen anybody posting about El Pollo Loco.

Today for lunch, my office catered from El Pollo Loco and although very tempting to eat the Chicken Taquito, I did not.  All I had was 2 pieces of flamed grilled chicken thighs without skin, 1.5 cups of steam veggie and some soup leftover from breakfast.

I never thought about lookinging into how they prepare the chicken until Whole30.  So, according to El Pollo Loco website, their fire-grilled chicken is citrus-marinated.  So, do you know if their chicken is Whole30 compliant?

I have no clue - we don't have this restaurant around here, however I would wonder about the marinade. I've seen a lot that include sugar, even though they sound so innocent, or contain soy somehow... or other additives that we need to stay away from. Maybe try calling to see if they will tell you..

I haven't seen anybody posting about El Pollo Loco.

Today for lunch, my office catered from El Pollo Loco and although very tempting to eat the Chicken Taquito, I did not.  All I had was 2 pieces of flamed grilled chicken thighs without skin, 1.5 cups of steam veggie and some soup leftover from breakfast.

I never thought about lookinging into how they prepare the chicken until Whole30.  So, according to El Pollo Loco website, their fire-grilled chicken is citrus-marinated.  So, do you know if their chicken is Whole30 compliant?

We don't have that restaurant in my neck of the woods either. You would need to contact them and ask.  Marinades are suspect for gluten, soy and sugar.

We don't have that restaurant in my neck of the woods either. You would need to contact them and ask. Marinades are suspect for gluten, soy and sugar.

There is contact details for more info - the chicken the op mentioned is in the "no wheat gluten" section, and there is no sugar in the nutritional info. (Perhaps promising? Not sure how you get sugar free citrus though)

They may cook in soybean oil from what I can tell...

• 3 months later...

Not sure how you get sugar free citrus though)

Really? Have you never seen a fresh orange? I would imaginey ou can get sugar free citrus  from squeezing an orange, lemon or lime. 

Do they not have fresh citrus where you are? There are tons of El Pollo Locos where I live, and we also produce tons upon tons of fresh citrus around here. 

I have 2 lemon, 1 lime and an orange tree in my back yard as is typical of most people. 

Really? Have you never seen a fresh orange? I would imaginey ou can get sugar free citrus  from squeezing an orange, lemon or lime. 

Do they not have fresh citrus where you are? There are tons of El Pollo Locos where I live, and we also produce tons upon tons of fresh citrus around here. 

I have 2 lemon, 1 lime and an orange tree in my back yard as is typical of most people. 

Citrus fruit NATURALLY contains sugar though. 

Things sweetened with fruit juice is fine. there's probably way more natural sugar in a sweet potatoes then in a little bit of citrus juice used for a marinade.

carrots are also loaded with natural sugar

Natural sugar in almost everything so its natural sugar was not OK Wed pretty much be eating air.

Things sweetened with fruit juice is fine. there's probably way more natural sugar in a sweet potatoes then in a little bit of citrus juice used for a marinade.

carrots are also loaded with natural sugar

Natural sugar in almost everything so its natural sugar was not OK Wed pretty much be eating air.

I think the point was that if the nutritional information was any indication of added sugar it SHOULD contain at least the sugar found in the citrus since it was used in the marinade but it doesn't so the reliability of the nutritional information is in question. No one is saying you shouldn't eat natural sugars.

so little of marinade is really left behind on Meat, it is I entirely possible that a small amount of citrus juice used would not even leave a gram of sugar per serving. I find it hard to believe that you could use that as a way to not trust the nutritional data. I've had the chicken, its not even remotely sweet. my guess is they use lime juice which has very little sugar to begin with and even less is left behind on the chicken. it's like venturing on food paranoia.

Soybean oil on the grill, sure that's possible and worth a call,

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but I was researching because my office is going to cater using them as well...

From Go Dairy Free (dot) com:

Additonal Soy Note: We received a message from a concerned viewer about soy. They had heard that all chicken from el pollo loco is marinated in oil that contains hydrolyzed soybean oil. However, we contacted el Pollo Loco directly, and their customer service responded with the following, “No, it is just marinated in fruit juices, herbs and spice.”

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

Note: The Whole30 is not interested in grams of sugar, you need to be checking for added sugar in the ingredients.

For those who want to consume this, they have a number on their website to call for allergen information, so you can probably get clear ingredients from them.

As someone who can't eat gluten, I am always suspicious of places which have an allergen menu without any ingredients listed.

I would make sure you ask for all ingredients, including cooking oil and any special ordering required.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a dead post but for people using this for reference in the future, I contacted customer service today about any questionable ingredients and they stated that it was prepared with soy. They would not elaborate on sugar and if the oil was in the marinade or on the grill stating that it was a " trade secret" and that could not share ingredients. I know that have to protect business but I can not wrap my head around not letting you know what you are putting into your body. No more for me.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dmartino95 said:

I know this is a dead post but for people using this for reference in the future, I contacted customer service today about any questionable ingredients and they stated that it was prepared with soy. They would not elaborate on sugar and if the oil was in the marinade or on the grill stating that it was a " trade secret" and that could not share ingredients. I know that have to protect business but I can not wrap my head around not letting you know what you are putting into your body. No more for me.

Wow!  Okay well that's actually not legal so whomever was representing the company at the time was doing them a great disservice, but at any rate, soy means it's out, so sugar and oils don't matter much... protecting trade secrets is not telling the ratio of spices, or the order in which the breading ingredients would be put on something, but not giving ingredients is bull...

Archived