starting november 14

Claire15

Hi amberino. Thank you for your input and support, I really appreciate it. The problem with me is that while I'm doing the whole 30 plan I also have a bowel condition which can make eating whole meals difficult sometimes. I am also finishing up my training as a hairdresser and I started working in a salon recently. I find myself losing track of time at the moment when I'm doing clients, so I miss meals sometimes and have to snack on something.

Perhaps you'd do better with 4 smaller meals if you aren't able to digest/eat 3 bigger meals. That's perfectly ok - just make sure they all fit the template :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone!

I've been reading all of your updates. Very inspiring and has really kept me on track for my pre-thanksgiving Whole14. 

Day 5 was challenging, but I got through it. Had a baby shower to go to with lots of treats, but was able to steer clear. Luckily there were shrimp skewers, chicken and veggie skewers, and some delicious fresh fruit I could eat. 

Day 6 today (I'm in Singapore so am on Sunday, 17 Nov already!) and had broccoli, sweet potatoes, shredded chicken, 2 eggs and 1/2 avocado for breakfast this morning. Very delicious. I really like the kind of meals I can put in a bowl and just mix around.

Have to go to the supermarket today to prepare for the week… feeling so uninspired to cook. Do you have any suggestions for super easy meals that will spice up my life a little? Usually I have a big salad w/ tuna or chicken for lunch, and then a big plate of roasted veggies (eggplant, broccoli, pumpkin, asparagus) and either chicken or steak for dinner… getting a little boring :)

Been having some stomach issues the last few days. Not sure why as I've been 100% complaint. Maybe it's my body getting used to the super clean eating again… not sure, but I'm trying to drink a lot of water to combat dehydration. 

Thinking of testing out some thanksgiving recipes… any favorites?? 

Day 3 was great. No issues and lots of fats and veggie's. I've read a lot about Thanksgiving. My family is traveling home to see my side out of state. I typically do not cook and do not plan to this year. This is my Dad's big day. Cooking gives him joy and he's about 80% paleo which is great. He will make a few mashed squashes, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry, boiled onions in butter....typical fair and not in line with the template. My plan is to choose wisely and I do plan to go off template for a few favorites I only eat once a year at my Dad's. Now, I will not eat mashed potatos, rolls, cranberry or stuffing - I can get those any day of the year by making them and I honestly do not crave them. Now, come dessert when he makes homemade blueberry pie - yes, I will have a small slice and will enjoy the life out of that small piece. Then I will walk away. The last time I went home I was in week 3 of a Whole30 and they were totally supportive. I bring my own coconut milk and flakes with me. They just embrace me. It makes the holiday's less stressfull. And of course, I will re-start my Whole30 the next day. I've been very successful eating from the template but this time I do not plan to stop after 30 days. I'm not keeping a calendar. This is the way I'll eat with yjr exception of very special occassions. I have 4 holiday parties to attend when I return. I'm planning 2 of them so they will be compliant. The rest I'll eat beforehand. To me, it's planning and relaxing about the entire season plus a dash of it's OK when you have an off plan dish. Sorry to go on and on this morning! Happy Sunday!

Day 5 for me and everything is going well. I have had a tough week with hubby being in A&E all day Monday with chest pains and me not sleeping since as I lay awake listening to him breathing. 

Anyway - Whole30 has worked it's magic and I fell asleep easily last night and slept for almost 12 hours. Boy did I feel good when I woke up. A good night's sleep was the real biggy that I missed when I finished my Whole50 and started eating wheat again. I really do think I must adopt the mantra "I don't cheat with wheat".

So Day 5:

Brunch of ham, HB eggs, guacamole and coleslaw (stir fry veg with HM mayo) and a persimmon with hazelnut butter

Snack of mixed nuts and 2 soft dried apricots when we got back from a lovely wintery walk through the woods. 

Supper will be roasted chicken thighs with braised cabbage and leeks (in the last of my HM ghee)and I will have some guacamole to finish it up and get some extra fat. 

Tomorrow I will make some more ghee with my Kerrygold butter and some soup with the veg stock I made from the peelings I save. 

Loving this journey :)

Good day today, it was crazy but I got a lot done. Its my son's birthday tomorrow but we've got a mixed up schedule this week and I wont see him much so we did birthday cake and stuff today. I made it but didnt eat any of it! It looked amazing too, lol, but my family enjoyed it so that was good enough. I managed to bake the cake clean up the kitchen after it flooded... twice, do a little shop to pick up some more sweet potatos and squash (and bits for kids lunches), make a curry for my son's birthday meal (got some help from hubby thankfully) and some other household chores all done, good day indeed!

In the morning I got a lot of prep work done for some easy meals for myself during the week as well as some for the rest of the family. For myself, I fried up some mince beef with corgette, onions, garlic, grated carrot and cabbage, boiled some squash and sweet potato, and fried up some chicken with cabbage and lemon juice for dinner tonight ...was lovely, ate it with some of the sweet potato. There probably wasnt enough fat in that meal, Im still getting used to that. Im not used to cooking with coconut oil yet and havent made any ghee yet either... Ill look into that more this week when I have time.

I felt slightly irritable today, didnt feel like caving in to cravings but I did have a question about sweetening tea and coffee. What are my options. I will go searching but I want to hear what others here are using and what you prefer. Some of the things suggested sound wierd to me, I like coffee and tea but I need it sweetened, I really do. I can try and get thru without it but the caffeine withdrawl on top of everything else might just make me cave under pressure. I am drinking green tea which sometimes does the trick but not always.

Genifer, try putting cinnamon and/or nutmeg in your coffee, plus coconut or almond milk. I find that sweet spices often give the illusion of sweetness. I actually use an immersion blender to whip some coconut oil into my coffee. It turns frothy and creamy, not oily, that way.

Today was a setback. My son ate graham crackers in Sunday school today, because, stupid me, I didn't tell his teacher otherwise. The worst part is, I got up early to make him special snacks for church. So, we're back to Day 1. My goal for my son is to go six months grain and dairy free.

Day 7 here for me (in Singapore).

Meal 1: egg bake I made yesterday, topped with 1/2 avocado. Had the usual decaf coffee w/ coconut milk as well.

http://paleomg.com/savory-breakfast-casserole/

I added a bag of baby spinach and used about 3/4 lb of chorizo instead of 1lb that the recipe calls for. So delicious!

I really like the cinnamon idea in my coffee.. I'm going to have to try that.

My kids were doing really well all week after their oreo cookie setback last weekend.  I left for my graveyard shift on Friday night and came home Saturday morning to children who were out of control, dosed with something.  I can't for the life of me figure out what they are sensitive to, but whatever it was, they are still hyper Sunday night.  So, me, too, start over tomorrow, being as cautious as can be on what goes in their mouths.

hey, is anyone feeling like absolute rubbish yet? That headache I mentioned is just starting to get worse as I speak. My back and all my joints are aching like nobody's business and I have a terribly stiff neck. When I was on scd, they'd call this die off. My lips feel numb and Im getting nasal mucus. Im eating 'clean' foods. I have black tea and green tea so Im having caffiene, eating the protien, little bit of fat (trying to make sure I get that, right now its in the form of animal fat) and loads of veggies, the carbs are from sweet potato and squash.

Im training as a hairdresser, I have college tonight and I know I have a client... I feel like Im dying...

Im having a hot bath with bath salts. Im going to try that. How's everyone else doing?

what day are you on Genifer? And is this your first W30? There is a timeline of what you can expect when and I found the daily emails were good on this topic too. 

Also  you say 'a little bit if fat'. Do not be afraid of fat - increase that element of your meals as it is what gives you energy, keeps you warm and enable you to benefit from fat soluble vitamins in your veggies. One to two thumb sized portions per meal - one to cook and one to serve. 

Day 7 going well so far although I had a failure on my plank challenge - just couldn't do it for some reason :(

No exercise today as I have been catching up with an online history course I am doing. But eaten some lovely food and I am just making another batch of ghee with Kerrygold butter. Just about to strain it and it smells wonderful. 

Hoping to sleep well tonight and then it's work tomorrow - so no lie in!

what day are you on Genifer? And is this your first W30? There is a timeline of what you can expect when and I found the daily emails were good on this topic too. 

Im on day 4, just finishing it up actually, and yes, this is my first W30. I planned on starting in the new year but was really feeling like rubbish after trying to go with a dietitian's advice for a few days. So I decided to just go for it. I didnt have everything I 'needed' on hand, like a good source of coconut oil, the one I have isnt very palatable (it tastes like toasted coconut, its not very nice. I havent had a chance to make any ghee yet. So the only fat Im getting at the moment is from olive oil, cooking and drizzling, and from my meat, some bacon, mince, etc. Its a work in progress at the moment. I just needed to get started.

I feel much better since that last post. I took a hot bath with epsom salts and that helped with the achiness. I also see the achiness as the changes in progress. I can bear with it. Ill probably pick up some avocado tomorrow on way to work.

Im on day 4, just finishing it up actually, and yes, this is my first W30. I planned on starting in the new year but was really feeling like rubbish after trying to go with a dietitian's advice for a few days. So I decided to just go for it. I didnt have everything I 'needed' on hand, like a good source of coconut oil, the one I have isnt very palatable (it tastes like toasted coconut, its not very nice. I havent had a chance to make any ghee yet. So the only fat Im getting at the moment is from olive oil, cooking and drizzling, and from my meat, some bacon, mince, etc. Its a work in progress at the moment. I just needed to get started.

I feel much better since that last post. I took a hot bath with epsom salts and that helped with the achiness. I also see the achiness as the changes in progress. I can bear with it. Ill probably pick up some avocado tomorrow on way to work.

Here's the timeline:

http://www.whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Feeling less than average is normal at the start of your whole 30 - eating plenty of fat and starchy carbs will help. Don't rely too much on the meat fat or cooking fat...mayo is probably my favourite way to add fat.

The coconut oil that tastes like coconut is unrefined, and the type with health benefits. You can get refined coconut oil, which has no taste - it's fine to use but has none of the health benefits

Day 8 for me and I am doing really well this time. Aching arms when I used my hair dryer this morning which is a sure sign that 2 weeks of wheat after a W50 really did do enough damage to produce detox symptoms. 

I am working today so no exercise

M1 - 2 HB eggs, pork loin, spinach & mayo; banana

M2 - 2 hb eggs, John West no drain tuna in OO, winter salad and mayo; persimmon

M3 - hoping to make turkey and cranberry balls if I can find compliant cranberries in the supermarket. Otherwise it will just be turkey balls - either option will be served with sweet potato mash and ghee fried greens 

mm that sounds like a really great meal (dinner)! I'm on day 4 now, and here's how its been going:

day 1: seemed easy, very motivated b/c of bad times the day before

day 2: meals not so perfectly spaced out, but not much problem eating healthy foods

day 3: wanted to sleep all day long!! oh and I had about 3 bowls of chili for breakfast...

day 4: cravings hit hard, all I could think of all day long was eating a mince pie! But other than that, energy levels already picking up I think, and overall feeling pretty good

Day 5 here and Im doing much better today. Only a little achey, no headache and I managed to eat a little better.

Meal 1: 2 HB eggs with turkey, squash (corgette, or maybe zucchini in america?), and sweet potato breakfast hash. I always add hot sauce and lots of fresh cracked black pepper.

I know we shouldnt snack but I did today: Blueberries and pine nuts... lush!

Meal 2: Turkey, squash (corgette), sweet potato and green olives stuffed with almonds.

Green tea, black tea, herbal teas... its been so cold today!!

I have to say that after 4 days my work trousers fit better again, today my jeans are already fitting better, and I feel better today adding more carby veg, I also had carrots with my meals so far. Good stuff and much better today.

Day 5 here and Im doing much better today. Only a little achey, no headache and I managed to eat a little better.

Meal 1: 2 HB eggs with turkey, squash (corgette, or maybe zucchini in america?), and sweet potato breakfast hash. I always add hot sauce and lots of fresh cracked black pepper.

I know we shouldnt snack but I did today: Blueberries and pine nuts... lush!

Meal 2: Turkey, squash (corgette), sweet potato and green olives stuffed with almonds.

Green tea, black tea, herbal teas... its been so cold today!!

I have to say that after 4 days my work trousers fit better again, today my jeans are already fitting better, and I feel better today adding more carby veg, I also had carrots with my meals so far. Good stuff and much better today.

If you're starving between meals,having something to eat is fine - make it a mini meal though, including protein, fats and vegies,not just fruit and nuts :)

I have caved this morning and just had a latte. I am under a lot of stress at the moment and have resisted for over a week. But this morning after another very restless and disturbed night I have given in. My silver lining is that I didn't cheat with wheat.

Back to Day 1 for me. Hope the rest of you have a good day and manage to slay your demons.

I have caved this morning and just had a latte. I am under a lot of stress at the moment and have resisted for over a week. But this morning after another very restless and disturbed night I have given in. My silver lining is that I didn't cheat with wheat.

Back to Day 1 for me. Hope the rest of you have a good day and manage to slay your demons.

I'm sure a moderator will chime in but I think you just need to add an additional day and not start over. I had that happen with whole milk my first round. It was in my eggs and my moderator just had me add 7 days.

I am trying to stay on W30 almost totally bep. So 'start date' is pretty irrelevant really. I have done a W50 since September and most of the days since then have been compliant. I shall be at the hospital with my husband for most of tomorrow and am planning on taking plenty of compliant food to keep me going. 

Thanks for your support :)

Sharyn, keep your head up!! At least you didn't go face first into a birthday cake or something :) you can do it!!!

Compliant supper last night and a compliant breakfast this morning. Yesterday did have some elements of 'diving headfirst' into wheat at lunchtime. Hopefully that is behind me. I have just eaten a very big breakfast in the hope that it will keep me full until we get back from the hospital. 

Laters :)

Archived