Anyone ever made "Paleo" pasta?

sjosey77

I am beginning to think about life after my Whole 30 since I have completed it recently, and although I don't plan to go back to my cray cray eating ways, I would like to have maybe every quarter some pasta.  I don't want to eat traditional pasta, but didn't know if it would be worth trying to make some out of other ingredients.  I don't want to buy premade stuff and would rather make it myself. 

Any recipes or would it really be worth it?  And yes, I have eaten spaghetti squash for years so I am aware it is a good substitute. 

Just a thought. I am still eating as I did on the Whole 30 until I feel ready to try and reintroduce some dairy.  Everything else is a no go.

We love zoodles as a pasta substitute.  I have an inexpensive spiralizer from Amazon.  The night before (or longer), spiralize at least 1 medium sized zucchini per person.  Salt it and let sit in a colonder for 30 minutes or so.  Rinse, drain and then wrap in paper towels and put in a plastic bag (or in the salad spinner) in the fridge overnight.  Change the paper towels a couple times if you think of it.  When you get home from work, put the zoodles on a cookie sheet in the oven to heat and dry out a bit more while you brown some meat and then add the sauce and heat it.  By doing the zoodling the night before, you have a 10 minute dinner on a busy night!  Super easy.

Thank you for the recipe. I am looking more toward a pasta imposter versus a substitute.  I don't mind using veggies, but I am looking more for something closer to pasta.  Again, thank you for the recipe, I will eat it all the other times I don't eat the pasta!

The only available paleo substitutes for flour are coconut flour and almond flour, neither of which would hold up the same as real pasta, they would probably not taste good at all (coconut flour is very bitter and dense and almond flour is grainy and sweet) and they'd probably just fall apart. If you are worried about gluten, you can do rice flour-based pastas, which still have all the carbs of real pasta, but at least don't have the gluten, and rice is one of the most benign grains you can eat if you are going to eat a grain.

If you google paleo pasta, plenty of recipes come up....whether they're nice or not is up to you. Personally I'd stick to zucchini noodles - the pics of the substitute don't look particularly appetising to me...

I was just more curious if there was something out there that someone had experience with before trying to track down a particular recipe.  Yeah the internet can have you read until you are blue in the face with recipes.  Probably going to stick with zoodles.  Sigh. 

I forgot about arrowroot and tapioca flours. I found this recipe and it actually sounds like it wouldn't be half bad. http://www.paleocupboard.com/paleo-pasta.html

I was really craving spaghetti and meatballs the other day, I might give it a try as one of those once in a while treats.

Thank you, I am glad I am not the only one that misses a good pasta dish! :)

There are loads of recipes for sweet potato gnocchi on pinterest. Here is one of them http://atspoonoflove.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/paleo-sweet-potato-gnocchi-with-tomato-sauce/

I have never tried it but would like to one day. 

Thank you!  I will have to look it up and see if I can swing it.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm crazy about zucchini "noodles" and find that they really scratch that pasta itch! I use a spiral vegetable slicer to give them a spaghetti like shape and there is no funny business involved in trying to use some expensive flours to make sub-par sex-with-your-pants-on pasta!

Here is as recipe where I top them with Melissa Joulwan's Sunshine sauce...

http://whatthehelldoicook.com/2013/11/03/chicken-satay-saute/

I've tried rice pastas and they are really gummy. I don't know what tapioca or arrowroot pasta would be like.

I did just buy a spiral slicer (it was on sale for $20 on Amazon). I am going to try Rutabaga pasta! I'll report how it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Spaghetti squash is the shizz.  I actually prefer it to real pasta with bolognese or marinara -- it adds a great herbaceous flavor that I love.

I made a sweet potato gnocci recipe from Popular Paleo:

I've HEARD this recipe is good: http://primalgirl.com/2013/05/02/paleo-pasta-part-one/ but I'd avoid it on the Whole30.  It seems like it'd be pretty SWYPO.

Archived