Some quick questions for a someone about to start

1. I eat out a bunch. I have to for my job. What types of things do you recommend on the go? But better, what kind of salad dressings are usually safe? How do I know the chicken is ok to eat (what it's cooked in)?

2. Are there salad dressings that I can buy and don't have to make?

3. My nutritionist friend (another one thought the diet looked good) wasn't excited about the diet. She was concerned I wouldn't get needed B vitamins that you get from wheat. Responses? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Kevin!

To answer your questions:

1. If you're going to eat out, you've got to get comfortable with doing some (p)research and asking a lot of questions. Check online before you go, or ask when you get there, for an allergen menu - that should give you a breakdown of any hidden ingredients like soy and wheat. Ask your server, or the manager if the server isn't sure, about everything. Ask what oils the meats are cooked in, then ask to sub if you need to. Ask what's on the veggies, and what they're cooked in. Never trust a condiment (well, except mustard - that's usually safe). Ask to see ingredient lists if you must. You can ask for some lemon wedges and olive oil to use as a dressing if nothing else is compliant.

2. Yes, technically, but they are fairly hard to find. Read labels carefully.

3. There are no B vitamins in wheat that you won't find in more abundant, and bioavailable, supply in meat, vegetables and fruit. You'll be getting plenty of those without all the other nasties that come with wheat products.

Hope that helps! Happy Whole30!

As for question #2, I just remembered that Trader Joe's sells a salad dressing that is just olive oil, vinegar and spices. I haven't bought it in a long time, but I remember it was very good. Like mentioned above, read labels carefully and you'll probably be able to find one.

Kevin,

I'm a pretty bad cook (really, ask my family!), but even I can make salad dressing. It really helps if you have a mini food processor or blender but you can make it in a jar with a tight fitting lid. It takes maybe five minutes and that includes getting out all of the ingredients. Make enough to last a week at a time, too. Try it!

Eating really fresh (local or organic) veggies will help mitigate the need for salad dressings, the veggies on their own taste so good that it is easier to go without it.

I have some whitefish caviar that I bought from the grocerY store. It is in a small jar with a tight fitting lid. When I finish the jar I am going to reuse it to hold salad dressing for my lunch. I'm always on the lookout for things that make brown-bagging it more enjoyable :)

Being super lazy, I just keep a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of balsamic vinegar on the table and drizzle on to salad there. Very simple. Get good quality oil and vinegar and you don't need anything else. Although some fresh ground pepper is nice.

If you want pre-made dressing, the most basic is super simple: 3 parts oil, 1 part vinegar (or lemon) and if you want, some herbs, salt, pepper, mustard powder or garlic. So long as the ingredients are only oil, vinegar and dry herbs or spices, you can keep it at the table. If you use fresh ingredients it should be kept in the refrigerator. It takes far, far longer to read the labels of salad dressing in the store than to make the dressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Baby food jars are great for mini-sized condiments.

Good idea.

My friend saves her old spice jars for portable dressing. Next one I empty, I'm keeping.

Free is good but the Container Store also has some nice small containers perfect for dressing and sauces too.

Archived