Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Well, today is Day 31.  I did a wrap up in my W30 log.  Overall, I feel like it was a success, but there is still work ahead on a few fronts (weight, energy, running, etc.).  My intention going forward is to do a mostly no sugar no grains lifestyle.  Dairy will depend on how my dairy reintro goes.  I plan to have wine occasionally (with occasionally TBDefined).

So dairy is my first reintro.  I want to log this so I have a clear idea of how the reintros go.

M1: Frittata, ground beef hash, cauli soup, coffee with heavy whipping cream

M2: Chocolate Chili, (forgot avo), mixed greens with a HB egg and O&V; 1 oz of manchego cheese

M3: Chicken salad over mixed greens with O&V, 1 oz of manchego cheese (forgot to get any other dairy)

So far so good on the dairy reintro.  Tomorrow is back on plan.  On Friday I have a Girls' Night Out dinner.  I will try to be compliant with food, but will have wine.  Then assuming I feel okay, I'll do another reintro on Sunday, potentially legumes (PB, as this is the only legume I'm really concerned about).  Then Wednesday, I guess it will be grains.  Not sure what I want to test here.  I just want to see how I react to grains so I know how careful I need to be going forward.

I'm still having a hard time believing I made it to the other side.  :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having a hard time deciding how my dairy reintro went.  My husband, son, and I are all fighting colds.  I had a bit of a rough afternoon, but the symptoms were definitely cold-like and my husband reported similar symptoms.  My stomach was fine with the dairy.  I didn't get mucousy, just felt tired, not great, and my eyes were itchy - sounds like a cold to me.  I didn't feel similar to that in the evening, after I had the same cheese I had at lunch.  However, I know I really want to be able to have dairy, and I don't want to let that impact my analysis.  So I think at the end of my reintros, I'll reintro dairy again, just to be sure.

I ran out of my homemade soup, so no soup for breakfast.  I am really missing it.  On days I don't work, I don't usually have it, but today is a work day and I'm really missing it.  Guess I'll be making some soup over the weekend.  Who knew that I would like soup in the morning and who knew that I would enjoy 2/3 cup of anything so much in the morning.

I did end up doing a weight lifting session yesterday, so I felt good about that.  Strength training isn't something I really enjoy, but I know it is something I need to do for my health.  I'm going to try to start really slow with and see if I can't get in at least one strength training workout a week.

M1: Frittata with tons of spinach, ground beef hash with peppers, cabbage, and spinach

M2: Chocolate chili, half avo, mixed greens with O&V

M3: Chicken salad over mixed greens with O&V  Salmon over kale and spinach sauteed in olive oil and garlic, side salad with O&V, closed handful of pecans/almonds/cashews

Good that there was no huge reaction to the dairy.  Good that you're doing it so cleanly - to really isolate if there are any reactions.  I see a lot of posts where people don't isolate....so they can't tell what they react to.

I'm really curious to know how your wine intro goes on Friday.  Regardless of how you do with the wine - I hope Girls' Night Out dinner is fun.

I found that whilst I didn't have the reactions to dairy I expected, it didn't make me feel that great, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would! I could feel it sitting in my body, and it may give me a headache.

I've had it a couple of times since reintro and never enjoyed it that much..

I get used to foods as well - I really love my breakfast, but there have been a couple of occasions I've had something different. Bad idea - I always wish I could have my everyday breakfast :)

Yay for the strength training. Weights are awesome - for your physique and your health!

Amber - Thanks for your thoughts, I always appreciate your insight.

It really is funny how quickly habits form.  If you had told me a month ago I'd be missing soup for breakfast, I would have laughed.

I know I have to step it up with my strength training.  It is good for me and good for my running.  I just don't really enjoy it, so it is something I have to push myself to do.  But I am enjoying the little bit of soreness I have from Wednesday.   :)

As for dairy, I'm definitely doing a do over reintro.  I don't want to assume it doesn't bother me just because I don't want it to bother me.  And I don't think it will be a daily thing for me, but we'll see.  I will say that the coffee with heavy cream was really good.

Feeling pretty good today, still a little sinusy from cold/allergies.  But my run today was pretty good.  I've been dropping the last mile of my runs, because it is extra hills and I just haven't had it in me.  Today, I did the extra mile and although I was a little slow pace wise on that mile, I still did it.  And the rest of my run was pretty good pace-wise.  Wihoo!   :D

Tonight is GNO and I'm really looking forward to seeing the ladies from my neighborhood.  Everyone is so busy, we don't get to see each other as much as I'd like.  I'm thinking about calling the restaurant ahead of time, to make sure I know what to order.  I don't want to make a big scene with a party of 12!

M1: Two eggs scrambled with mushrooms and cabbage in ghee, two apple sausages (compliant), over a bed of kale; coffee with coconut oil and ghee

M2: Chicken salad over bed of greens with O&V

M3: Out to dinner, not sure, but definitely having a glass of wine; salad with O&V, large filet with mushrooms, no sauce, two glasses of wine

I had a great night at GNO!  A few ladies I was hoping to see ended up bailing, but all in all a great time.

The only negative was getting home at 1am!  A few of us said we wanted to go home after dinner.  After being persuaded they would drop us back at our cars after dinner, we took one car.  Unfortunately, we were not dropped back after dinner (which still would have been 11!).  Lesson learned, take my own car next time!

I did have two glasses of wine, slowly over the 3 1/2 hour dinner.  I enjoyed it.  I didn't feel buzzed or really anything.  I did have a bit of trouble sleeping, but I think that was a combination of things including being annoyed at getting home so late, being out so late, and the wine.  But other than that, nothing.  I felt fine (tired) this morning.

Because I felt fine, I decided to go ahead with the legume (peanut butter) intro today.  That way I can do my grain intro on Tuesday, which I want to do on the day I run.  So this works.  I'm going to have to browse the reintro forum for what kinds of food to use for the grain reintro.  Every type of grain that I can think of offhand has more than just grain as non-compliant.  Cereal, pancakes, bread, pasta, etc. all have dairy or something else that would be non-compliant.  Not sure how to handle that.

Had a decent run this morning, dragging a little due to tiredness and sore muscles from the great run yesterday.

M1: Two eggs, mushrooms, kale/spinach, two chix sausages, 1 tbsp peanut butter; coffee with ghee/coconut oil

M2: Small piece of leftover filet, tuna salad over mixed greens with O&V, 1 tbsp peanut butter

M3: Venison filet, mixed greens with O&V, maybe broccoli?, 1 tbsp peanut butter

Glad you had a good night :)

Feel your frustration on the dropping off situation - I hate getting stuck like that, so normally take myself to things.

For grains, pasta is generally just flour and water, sometimes egg. Good bread shouldn't have extra stuff added. You could put flour in sauce to thicken. I'm not sure what's in your pancake mix but substituting ingredients is easy...

Amber - Thanks for the tips!  I appreciate it.

I ended up with a horrible stomachache on Saturday.  I'm not sure if it was the late night, the wine, the restaurant food or some combination.  For some reason I didn't think it was the peanut butter, so I did the reintro on Sunday.  I ended up skipping dinner and taking a nap.

Sunday's peanut butter reintro went fine.  No stomach issues yesterday and I feel fine today.  I ran Saturday, but took Sunday off.

Sunday's food:

M1: 2 eggs with mushrooms and small handful of cabbage over kale, two sausages; coffee with coconut oil and ghee; 1 tbsp peanut butter

M2: Tuna salad over mixed greens with O&V; 1 tbsp peanut butter

M3: Chocolate chili, salad with O&V; 1 tbsp peanut butter

Evening: 1/3 bottle of kombucha

Nothing exciting today.  No ill effects so far from the peanut butter.  I'm thinking about holding off on introducing grains until Friday.  I'm just worried about having stomach upset at work...

M1: Frittata, beef hash, zucchini soup; coffee with CM

M2: Chocolate chili with half avo, mixed greens salad with O&V, half closed handful macadamia nuts

M3: Grilled chicken salad over mixed greens with O&V; closed handful macadamia, pecan, almond, cashew nuts

I'm still debating whether I should do my grain reintro tomorrow or hold off until Friday.  I think I'll see how much time I have tonight to get things ready.  If I have time, I'll do it tomorrow.  I'm on an all day webinar tomorrow, so even if my stomach is bad, at least my colleagues won't have to deal with me!   :blink:

Just chugging along.  Still trying to work through my stomach issues, but in a calm, more organized approach.  I have ordered a different type of magnesium.  I've added in one digestive enzyme with each meal.  And I'm taking a 1/2 dose of probiotics at bedtime.  I'll continue on this path for a week or two, adding the magnesium at night when it arrives.  If I'm still having issues after a couple of weeks, I'll slowly up the digestive enzymes or probiotics/sauerkraut.

M1: Frittata; beef hash, zucchini soup; coffee with CM

M2: Chocolate chili with half avo, leafy green salad with O&V; half handful of macadamia nuts

M3: Tuna salad with O&V, closed handful of nuts

(too many nuts!)

I decided to wait on the grains reintro for the weekend.  I'm just too worried about having a bad reaction at work.  So I decided to do my dairy reintro again today.  So far so good with heavy cream in coffee this morning.  I had a great night of sleep last night, which always makes everything better.  I'm in an all day webinar (boring!) and would normally be snacking my way through the day.  But had breakfast at 8 and am about to go make lunch, not because I'm hungry, but because I have to have time to microwave and all that jazz before the instruction starts again at 1.

I was pretty frustrated when I got home last night and my husband wasn't home.  Then I found out he was still at work.  Which meant, no run for me.  My running has been pretty messed up during this process, with me taking a lot of time for rest and recovery.  But it is important for me to keep up with my training.  I jumped on the elliptical, but two issues: 1) it hurts the heck out of my feet and 2) it isn't running.  It doesn't simulate running, it doesn't build up the same muscles as running, and it isn't as enjoyable to me as running.  Now don't get me wrong, I'd always rather run outside, but with my husband's work schedule and weather, it just isn't always possible.  And I hate running in the dark.  So I told DH that I needed a treadmill.  And he agreed!  :wub:   So happy. :D  Order placed last night.  This means I can run during thunder storms, when the streets haven't been cleared of snow and ice, and when my husband has to work late or is out of town (which can mean a week of no running).  I'm super excited for it to arrive.  I can't believe I didn't have to fight for it.  I think it helped that I was reasonable and tried really hard to pick a good, thrifty model.

M1: Frittata, Beef hash, Zucchini soup; coffee with heavy cream

M2: Chocolate chili with half avo, big salad of leafy greens with O&V, 1 oz of manchego cheese

M3: Chicken salad over mixed greens with O&V, 1 oz of manchego cheese

Congrats on the TM!  I never would have believed it, but I am so happy every time I walk by my "exercise room" (really corner) in the basement.  Having a TM, elliptical, tv and space to do dvd workouts makes it SO much easier to exercise when your schedule isn't always your own.  Now that my kids are a little older, I am able to leave them for short times to go to yoga even when my husband isn't home, but it's still nice to have the equipment available for days I can't get out.

On the grains intro...are you do gluten or not gluten grains? It's important to separate them. I did white rice and homemade corn tortillas for my non gluten and I actually did those on different days. I got a high quality sourdough bread for my gluten introduction.

Thanks for stopping by, ladies!  It is nice to have some visitors.

I can't say I love running on the "dreadmill" (ha, love that), but it is better than not getting to run at all.  I think it is going to be a stress reliever knowing I'm not bound to my husband's schedule or the weather.

Bethany - how did I miss that I need to do gluten and non-gluten separately?  Thanks for the head's up.

I have to say that right  now I'm sort of fed up with reintros.  They just seem to be dragging right now.  And I'm down to stuff I really don't intend to eat much of.  I got really frustrated last night when I thought about having friends over for dinner and realizing that I'm still sweating the small stuff.  I want to be able to have a glass of wine and not worry about messing up my reintros.  All whining aside, I think I'm ready to be "riding my own bike".

So on that note, here is my plan.  Tomorrow I think I will reintroduce gluten.  I found a dairy-free recipe for pancakes and I'm just not going to add the sugar.  I'll just have a small one at each meal, which will make things easy.  I will eat on plan on Saturday, but intend to have a glass of wine with friends.  I don't think this is a big deal, as I don't expect a major reaction to gluten.  Sunday and Monday I'll eat on plan and then do non-gluten grains on Tuesday.  It isn't as perfectly spaced as it should be, but I think it is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas for non-gluten grains?  Oatmeal is easy enough in the morning, but I don't really eat corn, maybe brown rice?

My dairy reintro went, well, interesting yesterday.  No problem with the heavy cream in the morning.  After I had cheese at lunch, I felt a little off, but nothing serious.  My belly felt maybe a little heavy and I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom, but I didn't need to go.  Then I had more cheese with dinner and no reaction at all.  So I don't think it was a build up of the dairy, or type of dairy, because I had the same cheese at lunch and dinner.  I think it is the time of day.  I had to stop eating yogurt in the afternoon in the past, because it made my stomach a little strange.  So I think dairy is okay for me, but probably not something I will indulge in all the time, and definitely not in the afternoon!

So went to make my coffee this morning and realized that my coconut milk went bad.  Wow, did that smell awful!  So I'm having heavy cream in my coffee again today.  So another non-perfection in my reintros.  :rolleyes:   Yes, I'm a rule follower and more than a bit anal, so not following the rules 100% is bothering me, but as I mentioned before, I'm feeling aggravated by feeling restricted.

I did some strength training last night.  Two weeks in a row, wihoo!  I know one day of strength training is probably not enough, but I want to make that at least a routine.  Tonight I plan to get in a 4 or 5 mile run.

ETA: And I managed to get through the day yesterday with no nuts.

M1: Frittata, beef hash, zucchini soup; coffee with heavy cream

M2: Chocolate chili with half avo, mixed greens salad with O&V

M3: Chicken and...

Amber - White rice, I don't even remember what that looks like.  I don't think I want to buy it just for a reintro.  I might just do the brown and oatmeal... I'll have to make sure mine is gluten free.

I know I need to get in that second day.  The stuff is here, it is just making the time.  I know, I know!   ;)  I'm doing whole body, I'm following the book Lift like a man, look like a goddess or something like that.

Angela - Thanks for stopping in.  The reintros are going well.  And at least I'm starting on the weights, slowly but surely.

Had a good sleep last night, strange dreams from 5:30-7.  I did do my gluten reintro today.  I made dairy and sugar free pancakes and just had a small one at each meal.  With whole wheat flour and too much baking powder, they weren't super tasty - which maybe is good?  No reaction at all in the morning, I'd say I felt a little foggy and sluggish in the afternoon, and after dinner, I'm not noticing any effects.  Looks like my time of day to react to things is in the afternoon.  Strange.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow, but so far I'm glad to know that I don't have a terrible reaction to gluten, just in case.  One thing I did notice is that I've felt hungry pretty much all day.  And I have eaten pretty much my normal W30 food, just added the small pancake.  I don't miss this feeling at all! 

M1: 3 Eggs scrambled with spinach and mushrooms, roasted broccoli, and one small pancake; coffee with ghee and coconut oil

M2: 1/2 can tuna salad over mixed greens with O&V, small pancake

M3: Grilled cod, roasted broccoli, salad with O&V, small pancake

A few quick notes on gluten reintro:

Hungry most of the day.  Actually woke up at 5am really hungry, it took me a long time to fall back to sleep.  That NEVER happens.

Felt bloated last night and my belly was definitely sticking out.  And it was hard.  Since getting on W30, I've notice that my belly hasn't been as distended.  And even though it isn't flat, it has been soft.  Interesting.

Had a terrible run today.  I made it through but I was very slow.  My breathing wasn't good, which might have been due to the cold, or my inhaler starting to get low, or the gluten.

So all in all, I'd say that I'm not highly intolerant to gluten, which I think is a good thing.  But I would say it certainly doesn't make me feel healthier.  Definitely not something I want in my diet all the time.  But it might be worth one or two of  my Mom's homemade cookies at Christmas.  :)

And I don't miss the hungries!  How was I making it through life feeling hungry like that all the time! :blink:  Miserable.

Great observations about gluten. I don't have a huge reaction to it either but I never feel as good when I use it so I really really have to weigh whether it is worth it or not. I almost got lobster macaroni and cheese last night and I think it would have been worth it but the rice with my rack of lamb was. 

White and brown rice will most likely be different for you. If you are going to reintro with brown rice I would pre-soak it overnight. I bought a really nice small bag of organic rice when I did my reintro to make it worth it for me. It was very very good. :)

Physibeth - thanks for the thoughts on non-gluten.  I guess I better make some decisions soon, if I'm doing it tomorrow.

Saturday was a good day.  No further fall out from the gluten.  We had neighbors over for dinner and I had a great time.  I did have a couple of glasses of wine, which I'm good with.  Spanish wine - yum!  I did have a couple of bites of the mac n cheese that they brought over, because I really felt rude not to eat any.

Sunday was fine, felt the effects of the drinks in the morning, but I was back to normal by lunch time.  Good, compliant day.  And I was super happy that I wasn't looking for a glass of wine Sunday night.  I was worried having a couple of glasses might be a trigger.  It is nice to know that didn't happen, although I will have to keep my eye on that.

It was cold here yesterday, really cold.  High of 22.  Bbbbrrrrr!!!  So I skipped my run, but then around 4pm, we decided to go for a hike on the trails in our local conservation land.  It was beautiful and it felt great to get outside.  Once we were moving, the cold wasn't that bad.  Lots of stopping so the 7-year old could investigate this and that.

Today I'm feeling good.  Should be a good compliant day.  I'm getting excited for the holiday and some time with family.  Thanksgiving doesn't feel like it should be a big deal.  I'm bringing a big salad, turkey is good, I almost never eat bread with dinner, almost never eat dessert, I'll just have to make a decision on stuffing.  Do I have a little, or just skip it completely.  I haven't decided that yet.

M1: 1/4 frittata, zucchini soup; coffee with CM

M2: Adobe chicken, 1/2 avo, mixed greens with O&V, roasted cauliflower

M3: Chicken salad over mixed greens with O&V and sauteed zucchini; small closed handful of nuts

Archived