Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Thanks, dmh!

Well, my day to get things done turned into a fun snow day with my son.  It wasn't what I intended, but I'll get my to do list done and it isn't every day I get to hang out just the two of us.

Things are going fine.  My regularity issues seem to be slowly regulating.  Not everyday, but much more regular.  Work days seem easier on my body than off days, for whatever reason.

I got in a 3 mile run on the treadmill.  I need to start increasing my miles on it.  It is NOT as fun as running outside, but with all the snow, I'm glad to have the option.

M1: 1/4 Frittata, zucchini soup; coffee with heavy cream

M2: Chocolate chili with avo, roasted cauliflower, and mixed greens with O&V

M3: Ground beef with spinach, broccoli, and mixed greens with O&V

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday we had friends over for dinner.  It was fun.  Had some wine.  Ran 4.5 miles in the morning.

M1: Eggs, sour cream, spinach, mushrooms, bacon; coffee with coconut oil and butter

M2: Taco meat, mixed greens, sour cream, guacomole, peppers, salsa, green onions; cheese and 1 1/2 glasses of wine

Today we're going out to dinner with friends.  I'm sure I'll splurge and have a glass of wine.  3.5 mile run this morning on the treadmill.

M1: Eggs, sour cream, spinach, mushrooms, bacon; coffee with coconut oil and butter

M2: Probably steak or some kind of seafood, glass of wine, we'll see what else

Over the next week or so, we have gatherings just about every night.  I'm not going to stress about having a glass of wine or two, or a gin and seltzer.  I have decided there are two cookies my Mom makes that she only makes at Christmas, and I will have one of each.  Other than that, no sweets for me.  I will try to eat as compliantly as possible, but I will not stress about ingredients when I'm at someone else's home.  And then January will be here before we know it and I will go right back on track.  I am also going to try to run every day that I'm off, either outside or on the treadmill, some days short and easy, some days longer.  I will not run on Christmas day, as I want to enjoy that time with my family.  I think these decisions are going to help keep me sane over the holidays (hope).  :)

Christmas was a little rough this year.  Between not really being able to eat and not sleeping, I was not where I wanted to be for Christmas.  I'm a little sad, a little disappointed, and more than a little pissed off (cover your eyes, sensitive ones!) that I was not well for Christmas.  I love Christmas.  Ah well, it is what it is.  I'm hoping, hoping, hoping to be all the way better soon.  I was finally able to sleep last night, so that's gotta be a start in the right direction.

I'm back to work today, but will hopefully be able to sleep in tomorrow.

Despite my being sick, those around me seemed to have a delightful time.  I'm hoping I did a better job of hiding how bad I was feeling then I think I did.

Oh Sara! Being sick on a holiday stinks! My very first Thanksgiving home from college I got strep throat and it was so depressing so I totally feel your pain. Hopefully you are on the fast track to feeling better and you can ring in 2014 feeling strong and ready for what the year may bring!

Thanks, Bethany & dmh!

After over a week of feeling pretty crappy, I'm finally feeling better.  Wow, that was a rough one.  It did save me from a few of the treats I planned to allow myself and definitely cut back on the drinking!  I wouldn't say I was eating well though.  The idea of veggies put a bad taste in my mouth for almost a week.  I ate a bunch of paleo pancakes (mostly egg and banana) and a lot of nut butters.  But I figured whatever I could stomach was just going to have to do.  I had no idea what to eat as my norm would be toast!

We have an annual NYE celebration and I do plan to drink and eat as I would like.  I do plan to steer clear of gluten on NYE.  However, for New Year's Day, I made homemade stick buns and I do plan to indulge in one of those.  I'm also making an egg casserole with sausage.  So I will indulge on NYE/NYD and then back on track.

Today will be a compliant day and I'm looking forward to it.  I have my frittata and soup for breakfast, yum!

Sick over the holidays is definitely not the way to be.  And a stomach bug is definitely no fun.  I just saw a snippet on the internet the other day about one of the new noroviruses and how intense it is.  Thought of you and wished you well!   Glad you are feeling better - an egg and sausage casserole sounds like a nice way to start of the new year.

Thanks for stopping by dmh and EandK!

Bethany - For the rest of the week I am planning on being back on my plan, mostly W30 with some dairy added in.  I don't really feel like I need to do a W30 at this point.  I really didn't overindulge over the holidays.  I do intend to keep my wine in check.  I think I want to see if I can just live for awhile.  Eat good, healthy food and have a treat here and there (mostly wine for me, I think).  If that starts getting out of hand, then I'll reign it in.

I have to come into work tomorrow, because of the end of the year.  Hopefully it won't be for more than a few hours.  

If you are off-roading tonight, I hope your symptoms are non-existent!

hny_thumbnail.jpg

Happy New Year!

I finally got to celebrate.  A few drinks and lots of snacks on NYE, followed by a yummy sausage and egg casserole and STICKY BUNS New Year's morning!  I had one small sticky bun.  It was completely and utterly delicious and I enjoyed every bite.  I didn't feel badly after eating it.  But that is a once a year treat and it will be that much more special and delicious because it is only once a year.

I see a lot of people are doing Whole30s in January.  I like all the excitement and almost got caught up in it.  However, I really didn't go off the rails very much over the holidays (with some big help from that stomach bug).  I just don't feel like I need a re-set right now.  I want to keep on with trying to live within my own parameters which include dairy and eating meals when and how they make sense for me.  So that's what I'm going to do.  The W30 is there for me whenever I need it, I don't have to do one just because it is January.

One thing I do want to get back on track with is my running.  Between being sick, the holidays, the weather, blah blah blah, I haven't been as consistent as I would like.  So I want to get back on my 4-5 days of running and add in two days of strength work.  I have the Cherry Blossom 10-miler coming up in April and I want to be in great shape for that.  My husband got the treadmill and elliptical moved down to the basement, set up with tv, netflix, dvd player - and just the way I like it with the tv mounted on the wall and all the cords hidden.  So I can run outside or I can use my treadmill - no excuses!

M1: Frittata, zucchini soup; coffee with heavy cream

M2: Chocolate chili, avocado, mixed greens with O&V, cauliflower/broccoli raw

M3: Not sure, we have lots of leftovers so I need to figure out what I can put together that is fairly compliant; grilled chix salad with mushrooms over mixed greens wit O&V; tea with heavy cream, about 8 cashews

I'm so sorry you were sick over the holidays.  I had a stomach bug on Christmas a few years ago and it was a huge bummer.  I'm glad you're feeling better now and it sounds like you are set up well for a healthy start to the new year!

dmh - With about 8 inches getting dropped on us last night, I was really happy to have the treadmill this morning.  I'm building up my miles on the "dreadmill", as I definitely enjoy running outside more.

Jen - Thanks!  I'm really hoping to refine some things and find a good path for me.

So my boy is off from school today.  I just made my third batch of paleo pancakes for him, finally found one that he said was "Awesome".  Something is wrong with my coffee maker, so waiting for the hubby to get home to fix that.  Otherwise, the annual taking down of Christmas is happening this weekend at my house.  Always a bit sad and a big PITA!   ;)

M1: 1 1/2 pieces of egg casserole with sour cream, tiny coffee with coconut oil and heavy cream

M2: ???

Don't you love those paleo pancakes!  We found a paleo waffle recipe that we had last week.  It was good!  The kids are pushing for it tomorrow, but I don't think it will be quite the same without the maple syrup.  I'm jealous of your snow.  Here it's cold, but no snow.  

I guess the advantage of not being able to get to my Christmas decorations/have the apartment organized enough for them is not having to put them away yes? Silver lining. ;)

Good job getting that run on the dreadmill in. I have a limit of about an hour on it before I start doing major damage to my hips. 

Emma - I will confess that I put peanut butter chips in his pancakes, not so paleo!  But no syrup.

Jen - I agree, our house is so much more open when the tree is down, as it sits between our kitchen and family room.

Bethany - Yes, definitely a silver lining!

No workouts today, just lots of undecorating, getting the tree outside (a major task), and reorganizing.  I also fit in some cooking.

M1: 2 servings of egg casserole, mixed greens with O&V, coffee with coconut oil and hc (I ate way too much for breakfast, still not really hungry now and I felt a little ill for awhile, haven't done that in a long time  :( )

M2: I'm thinking I'm having something light, I made some cauliflower soup this afternoon, I might just have that; ended up with cauliflower soup, some broccoli in ghee, and a handful of nuts (shouldn't have had the nuts)

Got in a good run on the treadmill this morning, still working back up to pre-sickness levels.  But I didn't have to stop and rest  :o like I did on Friday!

Back to work tomorrow, it will be a busy week.

M1: Coffee with coconut oil and heavy cream; egg casserole and cauliflower soup

M2: Compliant burgers, broccoli, mixed greens with O&V, tea w/ HC

Happy New Year!

I finally got to celebrate.  A few drinks and lots of snacks on NYE, followed by a yummy sausage and egg casserole and STICKY BUNS New Year's morning!  I had one small sticky bun.  It was completely and utterly delicious and I enjoyed every bite.  I didn't feel badly after eating it.  But that is a once a year treat and it will be that much more special and delicious because it is only once a year.

Sara for the win! This is great and exactly what we are all trying to learn. Good for you! 

Great work staying compliant and keeping things in check. Not to get weird, but how are things moving along in your tummy? Did you see any improvement with the broth? 

Thanks, Emily!  Oh my tummy...  Well, it has been off and on.  I'm much more regular than back in the W30.  But not as regular as I would like.  Today in particular I am really bloated.   :(   I would say I wasn't as successful with the bone broth as I would have liked.  I use it in my soup that I eat almost every day.  But I just can't get myself to drink it alone.  I have been doing two tablespoons of gelatin a day as well.  I'm going to do a chicken bone broth and see if I like that better.

The weekend blew by into a rainy, windy, but strangely warm Monday.  Of course, back down to the single digits tonight with wind chills in the negatives tomorrow.

M1: Frittata, zucchini soup; coffee with hc

M2: Mixed greens with O&V, cauliflower soup, broccoli with olive oil

M3: Burger with mayo, mixed greens with O&V, another veggie, maybe cauli soup

Wow, it is cold here and my office is freezing.  The kids are off from school, I guess because of the cold?  So I let my son wear his pjs to my parents' house.  But I forgot his bag of clothes, oops!   :P   He's not going outside anyway.

Trying to get through my closing for the year, so some stress.  Not much else going on...

M1: Frittata, zucchini soup, coffee with HC

M2: Chocolate chili with avocado, mixed greens with O&V, cauliflower soup

M3: Burger with blue cheese, mixed greens with O&V, closed handful of nuts

Good luck with end of the year stuff.  I have some stress to regarding start of the year stuff.  Ick.  I keep saying, "Tomorrow, I'll have more energy and motivation" but each day that passes leaves me with more anxiety.  Really, I just need to deal with it.  Hopefully you get lots done today.

Archived