Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Emma - I can't believe  you don't use your immersion blender!  I love mine and use it often.  I love it to make creamy vegetable soups.  It is also great if you want to blend CM or CO into your coffee/tea.  And it is so easy to clean.  Oh, also love it for making mayo.  I do think I'll have to invest in a food processor one of these days.  I really liked the cauliflower rice, but it made such a mess with the mixer, I can't convince myself to do it again.

Bethany - Thanks for the advice.  I need to do my strength training on running days, or else it doesn't happen (and since I am trying to run 5 times a week, it doesn't leave much time for doing it on different days!).  I think tomorrow I may try to run and then do strength training after.

Jen - I hear you on the nuts, see my confession below.  I know you've been struggling with stomach issues as well, ugh!  Maybe I should give olives a try again.  I feel like I should like them because they go with all the other things I like - wine, cheese, etc.  ;)

Emily - Double ugh!!!  I did eliminate or mostly eliminated FODMAPs for two weeks (I think) during my W30.  And I didn't see any benefit.  And it was miserable.  Broccoli and cauliflower are my favorite veg.  I guess I'm just not ready to commit to eliminating more things at this point.  I hate the digestion issues, but I also don't want to be miserable with my food options.  So basically, I'm right there with you, sister!

So after my big nut pronouncement yesterday, I ate nuts last night.  It wasn't a blind eating, it was a choice, and I'm okay with it.  My best friend stopped over, so I rushed to have dinner and didn't eat as much as I should have.  I was still hungry.  I had two cups of tea, still hungry.  So I decided to have a closed handful of nuts.  I probably should have had veg or a meal template snack, but because I was actually hungry when I had the nuts, I'm okay with eating them.  Now, back to my regularly scheduled avoiding nuts routine.

My husband comes home today, but not until late.  Even thought I told my son that numerous times, he cried when I reminded him today.  I have a major issue at work that is stressing me out big time, so of course, avoidance!  It was great to see my friend last night, I love her dearly.

M1: Frittata, cauliflower soup; coffee with HC

M2: chocolate chili with avocado, cauliflower soup (didn't get to make any other veggies), salad with O&V; tea with HC

M3: compliant sausages, mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli; tea with CM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry that you're dealing with stress at work and at home (sad kid and traveling husband is tough!).  Hang in there.  It's almost the weekend!

BTW - Emily - I HATE THAT!!!!  I know it's true, but I still hate it.  I, too, have tried eliminating more things and it just hasn't clicked.  Such a bummer.  But, since what ails me is fairly mild compared to many who come here (10 lbs, allergies, occasional stomach upset - nothing most people don't live with and consider normal), I guess I'm not yet willing to do more than I already am doing.  Now, if someone could tell me exactly what to avoid to make it all go away, I would do that.  It's the searching and testing that annoys me.  I gave up weeks of my favorite egg and kale breakfast for nothing.  Grrr.  Sorry to rant! :)

Jen - I so agree!  If I knew that eliminating something (or even many things) would do the trick, then fine, I would do it in a heartbeat.  But the endless eliminations and not know if I'm still combining things that don't work - that whole process stresses me out to a very high level.

Emma - I missed your question about strength training.  I am using this book - http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1389983688&sr=1-1&keywords=lift+like+a+man+look+like+a+goddess

I really like it and you don't need a lot of equipment, but you do need access to some.

And those nuts, boy are they hard to stop munching on.  And when I tell myself no to something, my brain sometimes rebels.

My husband got home before my son went to bed, so there was joyful reunion.

Today I did a 5 mile run, followed by strength training, followed by a quick mile on the treadmill.  That seemed to work great.  Today was the first time I really felt normal running, since I was sick over the holidays.

New TV is coming today, DH is very excited.

M1: two egg omelette with spinach, mushrooms, and a little parm; coffee with CO and CM, coffee with HC (drinking my coffee after eating is much more enjoyable on days I work out in the morning)

M2: Maybe meatloaf, broccoli, and mixed greens with O&V; tea with CM

So the TV arrived and DH's TV expert friend is coming over to help set it up.  Luckily I do not have to be involved with getting it up on the wall!

3 mile run on the treadmill this morning due to a quick snow storm.  I am SUPER sore today.  Maybe the deadlifts or the weighted lunges?

M1: Two HB eggs with mushrooms, 1/2 avocado and mayo over mixed greens with O&V (and a splash of ACV), two sausages; coffee with HC

M2: Venison steak, roasted something, mixed greens with O&V; tea with HC

I didn't make it in here yesterday.  I became a Godmother again and that took up much of the day.  :wub:

Sunday

M1: Frittata, roasted cauliflower; coffee with HC

M2: Ate at Uno - chicken with cheese, steamed broccoli, and roasted veggies; tea with HC

Snack: A couple of tbsp of almond butter, 1/2 handful of macadamia nuts (should have made better choices!, but I was really hungry)

M3: Venison steak, mixed greens with O&V, zucchini noodles (made these for the first time, I liked them, my son said they were the most disgusting thing he ever ate  :rolleyes: )

Today is my husband's end of year work party (they do this instead of a Christmas party).  Wine/drinks are usually flowing.  I am definitely going to partake.  Here's my plan: I have no idea what food is being served, my husband thinks maybe stations.  So I think during the appetizer hour, I will nibble on mostly compliant things, but will have cheese if available.  I think I'll start the night with a sparkling water and  lime.  I will definitely have wine with dinner and if I want anything other than wine it will be vodka and sparkling water with lime.  Dinner I will do my best with available options.  We'll see how it goes!

M1: Frittata, broccoli soup; coffee with HC

M2: Ground beef with avocado, maybe mayo, mixed greens with O&V, zucchini noodles; tea with CM

M3: ???

And nails are done in Essie Ballet Slippers

essie_ballet_slippers_thumbnail.gif

"Here comes the snow again, falling on my head like a memory..."   :)

Derek - In January, they hold a company-wide end of year wrap-up meeting.  All the employees from out of town come in for it.  By having the dinner on a Monday, they don't pay for an extra night of hotels for the out of towners.

Emma - You're welcome!

So the party was great.  I had a really good time and managed not to overdo it.  Appetizers: I had one meat on a stick (marinated tenderloin) and a scallop wrapped in bacon.  Dinner: Starter of tomato basil soup.  I had pork, roast beef, and some kind of white fish with a crab cake, and a portion of veggies.  I definitely didn't overeat.  I'm sure there were not great cooking oils used, breadcrumbs in the crab cake, and the soup tasted sweet to me, so maybe a little sugar there.  And I had two vodka and seltzers (didn't finish either of them) and two glasses of red wine.  I started the night with a seltzer and lime, as planned and that was smart, as I didn't eat much during the cocktail hour and I think a drink that early would have led to over-drinking.  I felt great this morning (despite getting to bed around midnight and getting woken up at 5:30 with a phone call that my son's school was cancelled).  All in all, I am super happy with the way I handled last night.  Now back to my regularly scheduled programming.   :lol:

I'm getting out of work at noon, heading to pick up my son, and then home.  I plan to do strength training and get a run in sometime this afternoon.

M2: Mixed greens with avocado, sunflower seed with O&V

M3: Salmon cakes (1 big one) with mayo, mixed greens with O&V, broccoli soup; tea with CM and closed handful of nuts

Sounds like you did great at the party!  I wish I'd done as well in LV.  4 days of restaurant eating and one night of epic drinking (proving that I am no longer young) did a number on me.  I'm also back to regularly scheduled programming. 

Yeah, sounds like you did really great at the party and that you felt good later says a lot about living in balance.  

Congratulations on becoming a Godmother again!  Must be wonderful.

I missed your comments on your immersion blender.   I'm growing to like it more and more for things like frothing up eggs.

I've got your book in my amazon shopping cart.  Now to wait the courtesy few days before I actually place an order!

Jen - Vegas somehow makes it easier to let loose.  I'm glad you had a good time.

Emma - I love the immersion blenders for making veggie soups.  Hope you like the book!

Another snow day for my son.  I was able to come in to work late, so that made things easy and I got my workout done before work - 3 miles on the treadmill.

M1: 1 small salmon cake (trying to get out the door to get to work); coffee with HC

M2: ground beef with spinach, cabbage and avocado, mixed greens with O&V, zucchini noodles; tea with CM

M3: ground beef of some kind, mixed greens with O&V and roasted broccoli?; tea with CM, closed handful of mixed nuts

Jen - I agree with you, they definitely need to be in school.  I'm so glad my son is back today.

Nothing too exciting.  I've been continuing to have nuts in the evening.  I'm typically hungry and it is a closed handful.  But I think it is a bad habit.  I just really miss having something to snack on at night.

It is very cold here and the roads by my house are still pretty snow covered, so I think I'll run on the dreadmill tomorrow.  Tonight we have my father-in-law's retirement party.  Not sure how the food will be.  My plan is if there isn't anything that I want to eat, I'll just wait and eat when I get home.

M2: ground beef with avocado, mixed greens, roasted broccoli; tea with CM

M3: Salmon cake with sour cream, tea with CM and handful of nuts

Hope they are back today, Jen!  My son had two days this week...  :rolleyes:

Bethany - Sometimes I am hungry, and then I don't mind having a snack.  It is sensible to eat when you are hungry.  Usually it is something else.  Before I started the W30, I was having a glass of wine every night, often more than one.  I almost always had some cheese with the wine.  It was a routine, a way to relax in the evening.  I've cut the wine and cheese (wine only on special occasions at least for now), but I miss having something.  So I've been having tea (was having it with HC, tried switching back to CM which I don't like as much, maybe I should have plain tea?), but I want something to snack on.  It is definitely mental.  When I was on the W30, I didn't snack at all.  I had a cup of tea at night or kombucha and that was it.  But I don't want to always be on a W30.  But I want to be able to have a snack at night when I'm hungry, not because that's what I do.  Does that make sense?

FIL's retirement party was nice.  I could have found something to snack on, but I wasn't starving so I just waited until I got home.  But then I was too lazy to pull any veggies together.  I don't feel too badly about that, as I normally consume a ton of veggies.

This morning I did a 5 mile run on the treadmill and did my strength training.  I'm really proud of myself, three weeks straight of getting two days a week of strength training in.  Wihoo!

M1: 3 eggs, spinach, mushrooms cooked in coconut oil with half avocado and mixed greens with O&V; coffee with HC

M2: Pork tenderloin, mixed greens with O&V, some kind of roasted veggie? - cauliflower; tea with HC and handful of nuts

Bethany - Sometimes I am hungry, and then I don't mind having a snack.  It is sensible to eat when you are hungry.  Usually it is something else.  Before I started the W30, I was having a glass of wine every night, often more than one.  I almost always had some cheese with the wine.  It was a routine, a way to relax in the evening.  I've cut the wine and cheese (wine only on special occasions at least for now), but I miss having something.  So I've been having tea (was having it with HC, tried switching back to CM which I don't like as much, maybe I should have plain tea?), but I want something to snack on.  It is definitely mental.  When I was on the W30, I didn't snack at all.  I had a cup of tea at night or kombucha and that was it.  But I don't want to always be on a W30.  But I want to be able to have a snack at night when I'm hungry, not because that's what I do.  Does that make sense?

That all makes sense. I asked to help. I'm less strict about snacking when I'm not on a W30 but I do try and make sure I'm not eating just because I want to eat. Mindlessly eating for the sake of eating is what makes me need to go strict again. I much prefer riding my own bike. ;)

Bethany - I appreciate you asking.  It makes me think through what I'm doing.  Are my actions helping me to achieve my goals.  Off-roading like I did on Monday night was great, but I need to look closely at my daily actions.  I appreciate your support, really.

Sara - I left you a note on Bethany's thread - you should make your own SB.  Super easy.

I struggle with wanting "something" at night still.  I wonder when/if that desire will go away.  I also eat fairly early (6pm) so I sometimes get legitimately hungry, but I have a hard time determining if I just want something or am really hungry.  Sometimes I think I just want something and so just go to bed and then can't sleep because I really am hungry.  Other times, I think I'm really hungry, have a snack and then feel too full to sleep well.  So annoying.

Jen - That's exactly it.  I don't think that craving for wanting something at night is going to go away ever.  Telling myself I can't have nuts completely does not seem to be working.  I think I am going to try cutting out the cashews.  They are my favorite and probably the least healthy and definitely the highest carb.  The last few nights I've had them, I have not been overfull or really even full at all at bedtime.  I will definitely check out Bethany's log to see about making the sunbutter...

Quick 3 mile run this morning, I was pretty sore from yesterday.  We are getting snow again.  Guess it is that time of year.   ;)   Quiet house this morning, my son had karate and then a birthday party.  Husband leaves again on Sunday, this time for San Diego.

My hands are so dry.  I keep reading about people using coconut oil as a moisturizer, but I feel like it would be awfully greasy...  I was also thinking about trying an argon oil type product for nightly facial cleansing.  Not sure it it makes more sense to buy a ready made product or make my own.

Things are backed up again.  Ugh.  Weekends definitely throw me off, but the idea of getting up at 5:30 on F, Sa, and Su to stay on "schedule" is really off-putting.

M1: Three egg omelet with spinach, mushrooms, and a bit of parm, roasted cauliflower; coffee with HC

M2: probably leftovers from yesterday - pork tenderloin, mixed greens, some kind of roasted vegetable

M3: probably more of a snack, I'm considering having a Saturday night drink - maybe vodka and seltzer? 

Sorry about the cracked hands.  My least favorite part of winter (that and chapped lips).  Seems to be worse with the running outside.  I hate it when my knuckles start to bleed just from cracking :(  I haven't tried using CO.  Just regular lotions that aren't too girly smelling. :lol:

I ALWAYS want something sweet after dinner. Chocolate mostly. But on the whole30 I gave that up. I've found that incorporating fruit into my dinner makes me crave sweets less after dinner.

When I really do just want "something" I have been successful in using my own laziness against me. I try not to keep ready made snacks around and so a snack means I have to actually COOK something or eat leftovers (leftovers never feel quite as satisfying as a snack, am I right???). This means I have to keep the dried fruit, nuts, larabars, jerky, etc out of the house. I bought a bag of cranberries last week and realized I had been reaching in there and grabbing a handful every time I was in the kitchen!!! I don't even like cranberries very much. 

You could also do the age-old distraction method - when you want to have a small something, pick up a book and read. Eventually your desire will go away. 

My son is currently wailing because my husband just left.  I just promised to go play out in the snow, which at least reduced it to a dull roar.

Derek - I've never had my hands be so bad before.  I wonder if it is all the cooking I do now, which means lots of dishes!  Running outside is killer on the face and definitely the lips.

Emily - we are very similar except I'm not a sweets person, but I want something after I put my son to bed.  (Although right before I did the W30 I was eating an enormous amount of dates and nuts, just grabbing them throughout the day - they were healthy treats after all :rolleyes: )  It doesn't help that my husband is sitting there drinking nice wine.  So since he is away this week, I'm going for the distraction method.  And if I want to eat something, it can be salad or some vegetable.  I'll make tea, but I'll drink it with no cream or coconut milk.  And I'll see how that goes.

I just couldn't stand to have anything that felt too eggy this morning, so I made some pancakes made out of eggs, applesauce, coconut flour, cinnamon, etc.  I ate them with some almond butter.  They were good and definitely what I was looking for.  Higher on the carb count then I would like, but oh well.  Back to my frittata eggs tomorrow.  Next weekend I may have to try more lunch or dinner foods for M1.

Ran 3 miles on the treadmill.  This week will be a tough one to get my miles in, as tomorrow we get home late (karate), Tuesday I have a dentist appt, Wednesday should be okay, and Thursday we have to run around switching cars because my car needs an alignment.  It is what it is.

I did have a drink last night, just one.  I had 1oz tequila with seltzer and lime (I think this is as close to a real margarita as I could get right now - I would imagine that margarita mix would be unbelievably sweet to me right now).  It was good and I felt like a treat for a Saturday night.  I should have skipped the tea and nuts I had first (at least the nuts!).   :rolleyes:

Still backed up.  My husband was probably glad to go as I've been so gassy, ugh!  :o   I hate feeling bloated like this, my lower abdomen is rock hard.  I don't know what I'm doing differently to make me feel this way.  Added back in some coconut milk, especially to tea throughout the day/evening, could that be it???

M1: Mixed greens with O&V, coconut flour pancakes (applesauce and eggs); coffee with HC

M2: Taco meat over mixed greens with SC and avo, broccoli soup, tea - no snacking unless it is vegetables (hungry enough for veg = actually hungry); ended up having tea with a tsp of HC and maybe a 1/3 cup of frozen mixed berries with some HC (after which my stomach hurt badly)  <_<

Archived