Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Jen - I also like to be prepared and I know what is like when I don't get my plan ahead stuff done.  But I do wish I could go with the flow a little more easily.  Ah well, we all have our strong and weak points.  So far so good on getting back on track, so I think this major off-roading is a success.

Tonight I have my last big speedwork session - 8x800s.  Next week I have a 30 minute tempo run, but I'm not too concerned with that.  Tonight should be a beast!

M1: Steel cut oatmeal with berries, 2 HB eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and avocado over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli, 2% Fage yogurt with berries

M3: Taco venison over mixed greens with O&V, roasted broccoli, sweet potato, small apple w/ peanut butter; tea w/ tsp HC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice you eat a lot of venison.  Did you grow up eating venison?  I just can't get myself to eat it!  The boys all eat it, but I just can't.  Any tips on your favorite ways to prepare it to maybe mask the taste?

8x800's - wow - that's intense! I remember running 800's in high school. Wow. Good for you!

When I began meditating it was part of a 28 day challenge through wildmind.org We'd go between breathing meditations (booooooring) and Loving Kindness (pretty good stuff). Now I'm doing the 100 days of Loving Kindness group with them. However, when I googled their website, it's not very inspiring so you might have to search around for stuff that peaks your interest. One thing we did do in the meditations was learn to breath in and say, "May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I have peace." After doing that for a while, you're supposed to visualize others and wish the same things upon them. Then, in your regular life you are supposed to just practice those kind words to yourself - I did. It was kinda of nice. I now find myself really stopping and taking a good deep breath and feeling like it's okay to be compassionate to myself and find that clean space.

An other alternative is a free ap called Insight Timer. It has a bunch of different people that do guided meditations. I like ones by Tara Brach.

I've been rather out of the Whole30 Forum loop trying to indulge in chocolate and then trying to stop that process. I did stop the process and am now (momentarily) back on track and will probably be logging on once or twice a week.

I'm not sure why, but I was having trouble logging in the last few days.  Everything seems to be fine now.

Jen - I did not grow up eating venison and it took a little while for me to get used to it.  I still try to prepare it in ways that use a lot of seasoning.  I can't pass up the fact that we have a ton of it in the freezer.  But we are almost through our stock, which means a lot of meat purchases in my future.  Some ways we prepare it - Homemade taco seasoning (ground), stir fry (cubed), Burgers (you can do half burger/half venison which is how we started and we've been using the Italian recipe in Well Fed 2), DH does a dry rub pan sauteed, heavy on the dry rub (it is different every time, so I don't really have a recipe) (steak).

Emma - The 8x800s were very intense, but I felt really accomplished after.  Thanks for all the meditating hints.  Maybe I will give it a try.  Hmmm, something to start after my race.  I do like this: "May I be happy. May I be healthy. May I have peace."  Glad you'll still be stopping in.  I had a run in last night with PB, so I feel your pain.

As mentioned above, I still cannot be trusted with a jar of PB and a spoon.  We had a very light dinner at a friend's last night, so when I got home I decided to have an apple with PB.  Instead of putting the PB on the apple, I used a spoon, thinking I needed some extra calories because of my big run.  Next thing I know, I look at the jar and realized I had eaten WAY too much PB.  I had a really hard time sleeping last night and feel awful today.  Lesson learned, at least for a little while.  Portion out butters (I've been doing well with portioning out nuts)!

It was a big running weekend - 20 miles from Friday through Sunday.  Six on Friday with my sister, a quick 4 on Saturday, and 10 yesterday in the wet and wind!  The race is this upcoming Sunday, can't believe it is almost here.  Pretty light running week this week, which will hopefully have me ready to go for Sunday.  Today is a rest day, which is good since I have to work late to close out the month.

M1: Frittata, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken over mixed greens with O&V

Snack: I have raw broccoli and Fage yogurt with berries, not sure how I'll be feeling

M3: This will depend on what I have for my snack - if I just have broccoli, I'll eat something meal-like, if I have the yogurt, I'll see if I'm still hungry; tea with tsp HC

I had trouble logging in a few times, too.  So it wasn't just you. :)

I'll have to do the 1/2 venison 1/2 beef thing.  I got a food grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid for Christmas that I haven't used.  I'll have to break it out to grind the venison and see if I can stomach it.

I still can't be trusted with a jar of any butter and a spoon, but I'm getting better.  This last week, I've had AB a few times, but I took out just the portion I meant to have and didn't sit there mindlessly dipping things in. 

Can't wait to hear how your race goes!

Jen - Try the half and half, it really makes it less noticeable.  Another idea could be to make meatballs in tomato sauce (here you could also do half and half).  So how do you portion out butters?  This is  how I get myself into trouble.  I like to have an apple with peanut butter.  My usual trick is to have only the last two sections with PB, to minimize the amount.  Sometimes I'll put the PB on top of the apple slices, again to minimize.  But I still really don't have an  idea of how much I'm taking.  Using a measuring spoon is pointless and messy.  Glad you've been doing better than me!

Juz - Good to  hear from you, thanks for stopping by!  Yay for intervals, I hope they went well for you.   :D   I'm hoping all this hard work is going to pay off, just a few days left.

So I think I actually caused an allergic response with all that peanut butter!   :o  :blink:  :wacko:   The last two days my throat has been kind of itchy, tight, and swollen feeling.  At least my stomach is feeling better today.  As I told my husband, I'm an idiot!  Ha!

Closing went well and I wasn't stuck here too late last night.  My son says, you're home already, I thought you were getting home at midnight.  Ha!

Tonight I have 3 miles and strength training.  Last strength session until after the race.  It will be  my first time in about 11 weeks that I won't be doing two days of strength training in a week.  I'm pretty proud of that record.

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, 2% Fage yogurt with berries

M3: Venison steak, small portion of sweet potato, mixed greens with O&V, maybe another veg if I find time to make; tea with tsp HC

Meatballs is a great idea!  I may do that this weekend. 

I just took a knife and took out a scoop of AB approximately the size of my thumb and put the jar away.  So, I didn't measure it, but I didn't keep dipping back in for more, either.  Sometimes I then put a tiny bit on each bite and sometimes I save the big glob for the last bite. :)

An itchy throat is a good motivator to avoid the PB!

Jen - Yeah, that's pretty much my method, although I tend to use a spoon, much more dangerous.  ;)   Still have the itchy throat, but it is getting better each day.  I can't believe I did this to myself in the lead up to my race!

Juz - Thanks!!  It is 10 miles.  My longest race to date is a 10k.

Tough run yesterday, with my itchy throat, felt a little wheezy.  Tonight is a 30 minute tempo run.  I have to run out at lunch to pick up some cooked chicken breast for my lunch.

M1: Frittata, veg soup, apple with 2 tbsp almond butter; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and 1/2 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, 2% Fage yogurt with berries

M3: Ground venison over mixed greens with O&V, sweet potato; tea with tsp HC

Jen - Believe me, I couldn't be further away from eating any more PB!

So I'm very nervous that my itchy throat has turned into a sore throat.  I'm coughing, but it is a throat cough, not a chest cough.  Surprisingly I felt fine during my tempo run yesterday, no breathing issues.  I guess all I can hope at this point is that I'm able to fight it off.  ACV has become a close friend.

Today is a rest day, which I think is good, give my body a little recoup time.  4 miles for tomorrow and that's my last real run before the race.  I have to drive to DC on Saturday (about 3 1/2 hours), so I think I'm going to try to get a long walk in once down there, to stretch my legs and hopefully avoid the tired leg syndrome I always seem to get the day after a rest day, without fatiguing myself.

M2: Chicken breast and avocado over mixed greens with O&V, raw broccoli (have to cook some, I do not enjoy raw broccoli)

M3: White fish pan sauteed, mixed greens wiith O&V; tea with tsp of HC

M1: 

It's nice that you have a noticable reaction, actually.  Even my son, with diagnosed food allergies, doesn't have noticable reactions to many of the foods.  Dairy and eggs seem to give him a stomach ache, itchy ears and potential to see it again soon (sorry for the visual) but everything else, including peanuts, corn, soy, pork, cod, cantelope and who knows what else, just slowly add up until he's up all night every night coughing.  Then we do the meds for 6 weeks and it clears up usually within a couple days.  When there is no immediate reaction, it's REALLY hard to say no.

Is the ACV working?  Throat coat tea is good, too.  And, if you can find it, add aloe juice to your tea.  You can get a big jug at Trader Joe's.  We used to make little popsicles with throat coat tea, aloe juice, a few berries and a little honey for my son when he'd be coughing at night before we knew the cause and the medication to give him.  I'd make a 4C batch of strongly brewed tea, add honey while warm then add aloe juice.  Pour into ice cube trays and add a few berries.  Freeze for about an hour and then stick in toothpicks.  Continue to freeze.  They're great to soothe the throat. 

Jen - That stinks for your son!  The build up can cause issues. Unfortunately, no aloe juice or TJ's. We have a Wegmans close by, which seems to have a lot of similar things to TJs, so I'll have to look there.

I'm not feeling 100% today.  Funny thing is that I was fine while running, no coughing at all.  But lots of coughing when not running.  My breathing was okay, I had a hard time on the hills.  Good thing the race is flat.  I still have a couple of nights of sleep before the race, so I am hoping I continue to get better.

Today was crazy.  Dropped my son at school.  Came home to run and realized my son didn't have his homework book and a reading book at school, because they were at home.  He doesn't get homework on the weekend, so I decided it would probably be okay.  While out on  my run (4 miles and last run before the race), I realized I forgot to pack his lunch, which was made in the fridge.   :blink:   Not good.  So after I showered, I ran to his school.  Then I went shopping for a dress for the party we are  having for our 40th.  That took awhile...  Then I ran to the caterer's restaurant.  Just finally home after picking my son up from school.  Off to DC tomorrow morning.  I need to pack for my son and me, and do about a million other things.   :rolleyes:

M1: Coffee with HC, Quiche with shrimp and beans and some kind of cheese

M2: yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken breast with mixed greens and O&V, tea with tsp HC

Jen - Thanks!

Unfortunately, I was not and am not 100% better.  Very sore throat, lots of coughing.  Luckily it did not move into my chest and no coughing during the run.  I think the race was MUCH harder because of being sick.  But...

I still beat my goal time!!!   :D  :D  :D   It was a great race, very well organized.  Very flat except a decent climb for the last 1/2 mile of the race, which was a bit daunting.  Great crowd support at the end, a lot of the race was along the water.  Got to see some cool DC attractions during the run.  Running with 17k other people was something, to say the least.  The course was really crowded.  You had to work to pass, find an opening, dart and take it before someone else did.  I swear I ran an extra mile going around people.   ;)   I knew it was going to be tough when I started feeling rough around mile 4.  My breathing got pretty labored around mile 7.  I did rally the last two miles and overall, my splits were pretty consistent, although the effort level was much higher on the back half.  All in all it was a great event and I'm so glad I did it.

I did eat whatever I wanted on Sunday after the race, including French Toast (notice a theme).   :ph34r:   The good news is that I don't seem to have any consequences to my eating and I was back on track yesterday, although a little snacky with the 4 hour car ride and day after racing syndrome.   :lol:

We had a great visit with my sister.  The kids were a bit disappointed that they didn't actually see us on the course, but picking out someone in that crowd was much harder than anticipated.  All in all, a really fantastic weekend.

Thanks to you all for all the support along the way.  Goal race 1 for 2014 complete, the next is in September.

I'm taking training easy this week - 2 or 3 miles runs and no strength training.  I'll get back to it next week.

M2: Chicken breast, avocado over mixed greens with O&V; Yogurt and Berries

M3: Chicken breast, mixed greens with O&V (need to be fasting by 7:30pm for blood work tomorrow morning)

Thanks, Bethany!

Still feeling pretty sick, my throat is on fire.  :(   I'm considering a nice walk today, instead of a run.

M1: Frittata, veg soup; chocolate croissant, coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast with avocado over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt and berries

M3: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, tea with tsp HC

I ran out to pick up a prescription (antibiotics again, but at this point I think it is necessary).  While out, I decided to grab a Starbucks coffee.  I also picked up a chocolate croissant. :o   This is the first time since starting the W30 back in October that I've eaten something off my plan that wasn't a planned treat or due to eating out of my home.  I felt the need to "confess", but I'm okay with it.  The idea of eggs/veg soup was so unappealing.  And with feeling unwell, I just wanted something comforting.  So it was off plan, and now I'm back on plan.  It was delicious, I enjoyed it, and now I'm moving on.

I was feeling pretty crappy yesterday, so I rested (read on the couch) instead of walking/running.  Tonight the caterer is coming over to talk to us about food for the party.  It will be hectic as she is getting there as I will be walking in the door.  Carpet cleaners come tomorrow (I really debated over whether we should wait until AFTER the party to have the carpet cleaners come  ;) ).  Husband is off fishing tomorrow for the weekend.  I will be cleaning like a maniac.

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V; tea with tsp of HC

Thanks, Bethany!

Thanks, Juz!  I feel so great to have that run accomplished.  I think it made me feel really strong mentally, because it was so tough.

I'm finally starting to feel normal today.  We're going down to the ILs for egg painting and an egg hunt.  Then home for lots of cleaning.  Assuming I'm still feeling okay tomorrow, I'm going to try for a short run.  Yesterday was crazy with the carpet cleaners, propane guys, and Tyler's first board breaking!  He did amazing, I was so proud.   :wub:

M1: Eggs and broccoli, coffee with HC

M2: Yogurt and berries

M3: Chicken and avo over mixed greens with O&V

Archived