Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Jen - That is a good attitude to have.

Juz - I think he is 8 or 9?  But I'll let Jen give a definitive answer.  ;)

I scheduled my first (baseline) mammogram for Friday.  Not really looking forward to that, but onward!  I also spoke with my GP and she is calling the neurologist office to find out why I have to wait so long to get the test done, she thinks they are trying to get me to see a neurologist which apparently isn't necessary.

Close went long last night as I had to reboot the server, something I shouldn't have to be doing.   :rolleyes:   But other than that, things went smoothly, I was home around 7:30.  Tonight is a trip to the grocery store, so again, no work out.  But I'm definitely getting a run in tomorrow, after the mammogram and before I have to pick my son up from a half day of school.

M1: Frittata, veg soup; coffee w/ HC
M2; Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt and berries

M3: Venison steak over mixed greens with O&V

(My food is so beyond boring.  I have definitely gotten in a rut.  I cut out my tea at night, just couldn't stand to have another cup.  This has led to a bit of snacking, nuts and/or dark chocolate.  Nuts seem to be a little safer for me than nut butter.  I'm definitely snacky after dinner.  I wonder if that could be due to my low carb intake?  Something to watch as I experiment with upping my carb intake.)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the 9yo.  We treated him for reflux for years until finally finding out it is Eosinophilic Esophagitis - basically asthma in the esophogus from food allergies.  We do our best to avoid the foods he's allergic to and then periodically do 6 weeks of swallowing asthma medicine (instead of putting it in the nebulizer and inhaling it). 

Yikes - I suppose I have a baseline mammogram in my near future, too.  Not looking forward to that. 

Boring food is ok. :) 

Sounds awful... Mammograms aren't that bad really.... I can think of lots of worse tests.

Sara, I guess that you might be snacky because your food choices have been a bit repetitive??? Also possibly due to less running? Sounds counterintuitive but I know I snack less when I exercise more

Jen and Juz - Boring food is okay, but I'm inclined to agree with Juz that maybe it has something to do with my snacking.  That and the carbs, I really need to work on that.  Juz, great observation about running less - if nothing else, it eats up a lot of time and leaves less time for snacking.

So as I adjust my carb intake which will hopefully change up the boringness and ramp back up on my running, hopefully my snacking trigger will subside.

The mammogram was not that bad.  It wasn't fun, but it wasn't horrible.  The lady was extremely nice, walked me through everything (including that I should not be surprised to get a call back due to my dense breasts), showed me my scans, and was very gentle.  She said if it was going to "hurt" anyone, it would be me because of the density issue.  So I'm glad that is done, but I won't dread doing it again.

I went for a beautiful run on the canal towpath today, it was about 60 and sunny, really lovely.  Just under 4 miles.

M1: Yogurt and berries; coffee with HC

M2:

M3: Venison steak over mixed greens with O&V

ETA: Day 1 of 30 days no sweets

It was a mostly good weekend.  I didn't feel great yesterday.  I was blaming allergies.  But my husband ended up with a fever last night, so maybe it is more than allergies?  I ran on Saturday, but skipped yesterday in favor of sleeping in.  We spent most of Saturday prepping the garden.  Hopefully it will be more successful this year than last.

My husband is heading to CT for the week, so lots of crying this morning.  Hopefully it will only be this morning!  Tonight is karate for my son, so no workout.

M1: Frittata, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and avocado over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, sweet potato

I'm trying to get the carbs up, but I'm struggling.  So funny, since it was so hard for me to get my carbs down low in the first place!

Day 4 no sweets!

Bummer about the allergies.  Mine have been pretty good so far.  Knock on wood! 

I'm envious that you have a garden.  I have a brown thumb!  And a totally shady tree covered yard.  So, I do a CSA instead and just plant a few things in barrels so that the kids learn that food grows from dirt and not from the grocery store.  I am envious of those with real gardens!

Jen - I'm starting to wonder if it was really allergies, or maybe fighting off a bit of a cold.  I'm feeling a lot better today, so I'll take it!  I love having a garden (please remind me of this in August!).  We got a service to cut the lawn this year (we have 2 1/4 acres and I was the grass cutter), which should free up a good bit of time - some of which I plan to spend in the garden.  We did a CSA for a couple of years, but the last year we were disappointed with what we got and decided to put more time and energy into our own garden.  The idea was that we could supplement with a local farmer's market, which we only got to once last summer.  :rolleyes:

No crying this morning, wihoo!  Tonight I'm getting my hair colored/cut, so again, no workout.  We'll be busy getting everything done tonight by the time we get home.

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V

Day 5 no sweets.  Funny that even though I still have some dark chocolate sitting out on the island, once I decide on no sweets, my eye seems to slide right over the candy.

Jen - I agree, definite mind game.

Last night was good, but busy.  My son said to me this morning, "I haven't been as sad about Dad this time."  I told him I didn't want to bring it up and make him sad, and he said that it was okay.  Funny kid.

Today I'm getting my workout in.  It will be tight with my husband away.  I think I will get my run in (3 miles), get my son's dinner ready, and then do my strength training.  After that I'll grab a quick shower, maybe get my dinner or depending on how late it is, put my son to bed and then have dinner.

I'm trying something new in the car.  I'm super negative and judge-y in the car.  Just a flow of negative thoughts about how other people are driving mostly.  I'm trying to replace the negative thoughts with a positive statement, and just keep repeating it.  We'll see how that goes...

M2: Chicken breast and avocado with mixed greens and O&V, cup of raw cauliflower

M3: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V Chicken curry with broccoli (made with coconut milk)

S: Glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, 1 oz jarlsberg

Good luck with your positive car effort.  I try to stay calm and remind myself that it's not about me.  I occasionally accidentally cut someone off or whatever and feel really bad about it so if someone does it to me, I make a point to assume it's an accident and not on purpose.  That helps me stay calm and positive. 

Jen - That's a good strategy.  Part of my problem is I almost always have a running commentary in my head.  So it isn't just about someone cutting me off, it is a constant barrage of negative thoughts about how others are driving, how if I had just left 1 minute earlier I wouldn't be stuck behind this bus, and on and on.  

So between yesterday and this morning, I've said my little mantra at least a thousand times.  Ha!  I'm hoping that a positive thought will help drive out the negative ones.  I think it is going to take some practice.  :)

I got in my workout last night, I felt good about that.  I almost forgot to go through my son's school bag, I had to call him down from bed to fix his homework.  Oops.  I could not bear one more meal of chicken over salad.  So I ended up having a curry, it was yummy and didn't take much time.  I also decided to have a glass of wine, also yummy.

M2: Chicken breast and avocado over mixed greens with O&V, apple with almond butter

M3: Chicken curry with broccoli (made with coconut milk) 

Day 7 no sweets

Jen I love that idea--assuming people do things by accident.

I'm really bad in the car too. I try to be more mindful of it but old habits. My son had been cursing under his breath and he told me he heard me cursing in the car. :(

Assuming people are just making innocent mistakes is a good practice!

I have to tell you guys that I was using Jen's great tip about assuming people in other cars are making innocent mistakes today. Love it! It's such a better way to be. Someone honked at me for letting a kid cross the street before I turned. My northern NJ instincts kicked in and I almost gave the person the finger, but then I imagined that person had beeped at me by mistake. Drove away feeling much happier!

Beets - After driving to NNJ from PA for 5 years, I understand what a big deal that is! :D  I'm glad it is working for you. 

Jen - That's a good idea, a visible reminder.  I'm still working at it, repeating like crazy, and not just in the car.  Giving people the benefit of the doubt is a much nicer way to live.  Hopefully it will become habit if I keep working away at it.

Day 8 no sweets

About to take my son to school and then 3 mile run and strength training. I ended up with my salad instead of the curry last night.  DH got home last night in time for us to chat, but he was pretty tired.  Of course, I ended up going to bed first.  Busy weekend with dinner at friends' tonight, dinner at ILs' tomorrow, and dinner at my parents' on Sunday.

Meals TBD...

M1: Eggs, broccoli

M2: Yogurt and berries

M3: Eggs and salad, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine

Jen - I hope they came through with your coffee mug!

My son made me a cute heart shaped box and wrote me a strange, but cute, note about how I should just keep being my normal self because my normal self is great.  Ha!   :wub:

This weekend our plans went awry.  My husband came home from his trip with a hurt back and sick.  I wasn't feeling great either, but not as poorly as him.  We ended up cancelling with our friends for Friday.  Saturday we cancelled with his parents (didn't want to infect nieces or his grandmother).  Then we ended up losing power from 4-midnight.  There was only one lightning strike, but enough to knock out power, I guess.  We did go to my parents' yesterday, DH was finally feeling better.

I got in runs Saturday and Sunday.  Yesterday was absolutely beautiful, and I ran on the tow path by the Delaware River.

Tonight my son's karate class is having Mother's Night, so I will be participating in the karate class.  It should be fun.

M1: Two HB Eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and 1/4 avo over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Venison burger, mixed greens

Day 11 No Sweets (I even avoided the yummy-looking chocolate covered strawberries I took over to our friends' when I picked up my son (the scavengers attacked and the strawberries were gone in minutes!).

Rough start this morning.  My son was unexpectedly detained in the bathroom.  It was a good day for me to use my mantra and Jen's idea of assuming people are making mistakes and not acting malevolently, as I get a bit crazed when running late..   ;)

The Mother's Day Karate class was lots of fun.  My son was very affectionate throughout.  I asked how I did and he said not so good, as I wasn't shouting my kiais (battle cry).  Ha!

I have completely eliminated digestive enzymes.  I am still taking probiotics and magnesium, as well as CoQ10, fish oil, a multivitamin, and calcium.  I also take two tbsps of flaxseed in hot water.  So far, digestive matters are on track, so so happy about this.

I am going to try to plan something new to eat for this weekend.  I am still in a rut and my husband is looking for more lunches.  So I need to go through my WF2 and find something delicious.

Tonight is 3 miles and strength training.  Day 12 no sweets.  The candy bowl of dark chocolate caught my eye last night, but I was able to move on.

M1: Beets' veg soup, frittata; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken and 1/2 avocado over mixed greens with O&V, apple with 2 tbsp almond butter

M3: Rosemary, hot sauce chicken, mixed greens with O&V broccoli and a couple carrots with hummus, manchego cheese, and one glass cab sauv

I'm off the enzymes, too.  They didn't seem to be helping anymore.  The magnesium seems to be helping (when I remember to take it).  It may just be an issue we always deal with.  Annoying, but it's bothering me less than it did a year ago. 

My fav for when I'm in a lunch rut is chicken salad.  I poach a big bag of TJs chicken thighs, chip it and mix it with a ton of veggies cut small (celery, carrots, bell pepper, scallions, herbs, whatever you have on hand), mashed avocado and lemon juice, spices (curry is good) and throw in some cashews and raisins.  Yummy!  I may make that this weekend.

Keep it up!  12 days in is almost 1/2 way to the original 30 day goal!

My son made me a cute heart shaped box and wrote me a strange, but cute, note about how I should just keep being my normal self because my normal self is great.  Ha!   :wub:

Aw. Amazing how they clue into things. That would make me cry. Super sweet those kids can be!  (Yoda diction slipping in there.) 

So glad you're enjoying the soup! The coconut milk and bit of seasoning (no hot pepper for me) makes it a little more special than the usual ol' veg soup. 

I've been taking magnesium this week. Seems to help me sleep harder in the beginning of the night, but I still keep waking up way too early. Boo!

Archived