Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 27 no sweets

Juz - Oh no!  The summers do go by quickly.  Does it get very cold in Melbourne?

Day 2 of some irregularity, first time in some months.  I think maybe it was three days out of four having oatmeal.  That's the only thing I can think of that was different.  Guess I better switch try switching to sweet potato for extra carbs after my harder runs.  It also could be that I've been eating a bit less leafy veg, definitely less salad.  Need to bump those back up.  I skipped the salad with dinner last night and ended up starving.  Had some cheese with the wine.  I'm okay with it because I was actually hungry.  Should have veggies though...

Landscape guy coming tonight to look around offer some suggestions.  We are consumed by weeds and a lot of our bushes around the house seem to be dying and look awful.

M1: 2 HB Eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and avo over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Taj Mahal Chicken, salad; glass of wine

ETA: It is also TOM, wondering if maybe that could be impacting regularity?

Day 28 no sweets

Thanks, Jen!

So I've been struggling with hunger the last few days.  I'm blaming it on TOM for right now.  But I'll have to see if it goes on, and then I might have to blame upping my mileage.  I ended up with a handful of nuts and some cheese again last night.  I was truly hungry, but I'd like to have more at my meals and reduce the snacking.  Today I'm going to try to up my avocado at lunch and see if that helps.

Meeting tonight to learn about my son's swim team for the summer.  It is at 7pm, which is late for us.  It is 20 minutes back home, so I think my son will be getting to bed late (he usually heads up to get ready around 7:45).  Not ideal since he is having final exams (pretty crazy to have finals for 1st graders, but I think it is good as they get used to it right from the start).

Yesterday and today are rest days (yesterday we met with a landscape guy to help us figure out how to rehab our front yard).  Trying to figure out if I want to conquer the hill again this Friday.  I may wait and see how I feel during the run and go for it if I am feeling it.

M1: 2 HB Eggs, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast and avo over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Eating at my parents' tonight, so I have no idea what we'll be having

Eating an avocado always helps my hungar go away!  Hope it helps today.  Hope your night isn't too late.  We'll be out late, too, because of a later away soccer game.  It's fine for the 12yo, but the 9yo does MUCH better when he's in bed around 8 and tonight won't be until probably past 9.  He doesn't like going to bed so early, but if he doesn't get enough rest we all pay for it.  At least tomorrow if Friday so we just have one day to get through.  I hate when these late nights happen at the beginning of the week.  It throws his hole week off. 

Reading these posts about later sports nights and homework and exams makes me want to hang on to these kindergarten days. Final exams for little kids does seem practical, but also awful. We have a progressive vice principal who deals with pre-K and K who has pretty much eliminated homework for the little kids, but I understand 1st graders get a lot. Mixed blessing. 

Hope TOM is the answer to your questions. I've been ravenously hungry this week and I'm hoping TOM is coming. I know it came early last month but forgot to note it as I usually do. That said I was a raving lunatic with my husband last night, which is a pretty reliable sign. 

Jen - My son is the same.  By the end of the week he is always exhausted and throw a late night in there and he doesn't handle it at all well.  Luckily we didn't get in too late last night, I think he was in bed by 8:30.  Math exam today!

Beets - I know!  And he's only in 1st.  My Mom (who was a 1st grade teacher) thinks he gets a lot of homework.  The exams aren't bad, but it is a lot.  The activities!  And I only have one.  Big props to all those families with more than one, it is a lot of running.

Juz - Are you saying cheese is a hunger blocker?  The weather sounds similar to my sister in Ireland.

I'm stressing a little about figuring out my schedule for the summer.    My son just got a new belt in karate, which means new practice times.  Plus he's doing swim team with meets two times per week.  I'm just not sure how I'm going to get my weekday workouts in.  I guess it is something I will mull over during my long run today.

I'll probably do around 9 miles today.  I am not planning on doing the big hill again today, unless I'm feeling really good at the turn off.  Still VERY HUNGRY.  Aack, I hope this goes away soon.  The avocado did help me from being so hungry in the afternoon, but I was still really hungry after dinner.  (I went back and changed all my starvings to hungry - as I know I wasn't actually starving. :) )

Tonight is karate graduation and we're supposed to go to dinner at friend's, not sure how we're resolving that.  We just found out about karate graduation last night!

Alright, off for my run.  I should come back and update food...

M1:

M2:

M3:

Sorry if this is a no brainier but a 9 mile run must burn at least 500 cal which is another full meal really not just pre and post snacks so it should make you hungry.

Also Tom says often that not enough at breakfast can cause unmanageable hunger for the rest of the day and yours might be a bit light for how active you are

We didn't get the kids to bed until 10:30!  After the game, everyone went to DQ and then the boys both really needed showers.  Glad it's Friday!

Any way you can run during your son's swim or karate practices?  When it works (which isn't often lately) I like to walk circles around the soccer field during practices.  Mult task. :)

I bet the hungry is due to the upped mileage.  Eat more avocado. :) 

Juz - That sounds like a no brainer, but I don't think it has penetrated mine.  I need to think of fueling my body.  A 9 mile run means more fuel.  I think that also makes sense about breakfast.  I think even the HB eggs versus the frittata isn't working.  Something is definitely setting me up for hunger, and a too light breakfast may be it.

Jen - Yikes!  Hopefully you can all sleep in tomorrow.  Neither practice is really long enough for my run, but I may have to take what I can get.  Or else consider going out after the practices?  Or getting up at 4!  I just don't think the 4am is feasible.  My husband is a light sleeper and if I get up at 4, that means he's up to.  I don't know if he'll ever forgive me for doing that to him regularly.

ETA: I think today is Day 29 NS!  Making chocolate covered strawberries to take to friend's.  Trying to decide if that is worth stopping early.  I'm going to say no.  I can make them anytime.  I don't want to stop something I started for something I can have anytime.  I can make them on Sunday if I still want and I will have made my 30 days.  Yes!

Bravo on NS29! You guys are awesome. And you are so right about the chocolate covered strawberries. You can have them any time.

Playing catch up to hunger all day is no good.

Sometimes I wish my husband was a light sleeper but that's me in our house. Means he's dead asleep every time the kids or dogs wake us and I'm lying there awake for hours.

I made my 30 days no sweets, no problem.   :)   I did have some Living Intentions Trail Mix which had some cacao nibs yesterday, so I'll call that the end.  I'm still contemplating a no scale 30 days.  I have to think a bit more on that one.

It was a really good weekend.  My son got a new belt in karate on Friday.  Saturday we did some yard work and then my husband and I went out to dinner to celebrate his birthday.  My parents kept my son overnight, so it was great to have an evening to ourselves.  Sunday we picked him up and then lots more yard work.  I did 9 miles on Friday, 5.5 on Saturday and I skipped yesterday.  I'll run again tonight and my intention is to do strength training as well.   I've been slacking on strength, so I need to get back on that.

I'm still trying to work around my hunger issues, increasing my food intake, but not too much.  We'll see how this week goes.  I'm going to try adding avocado to my breakfast and see if that helps.

I'm having some stomach pains this morning.  I'm not sure where they are coming from.  I had some brown rice last night, maybe that is it?  I've had white rice with no issues, but maybe the brown isn't sitting well?  The only other thing I had new was that trail mix, but I don't think anything in that should bother me.  I've had a similar one before and was fine.  My husband said he is fine, so I don't think it was something we ate that was bad/spoiled.

M1: 2 HB Eggs, Avocado, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt and berries

M3: Chicken over mixed green with O&V, glass of wine

Good for you making it 30 days!  Yay for an evening off!  I hope you enjoyed it.  We did.  Of course, we paid for it because the kids came back wired from no sleep and too much sugar.  But, everyone had a good time. 

Sorry about the stomach pains.  I hope it goes away.  If it were me, I'd blame the trail mix.  That usually makes my stomach hurt. 

Congrats on 30 days!

From what I've read brown rice can definitely be more troublesome than white. There is very little in white rice that can bug you whereas the brown has all of the phytic acid of the endosperm.

http://holisticsquid.com/is-white-rice-bad-for-you/

Hope the avocado helps! In my old Eat to Live-ish days I drank a green smoothie every am with kiwi, banana, spinach, coconut water and avocado. Now that sounds like a crazy amount of fructose but the avocado did help keep me full for hours. Despite the rest of the blood sugar disaster!

Jen - Thanks, we did have a good time and my son does great with my  parents and they keep him in pretty good check.  My stomachache was gone by dinnertime.  Now I have to figure out what caused it.  I guess I'll try some more trail mix?  I had a similar one by the same brand and that didn't seem to bother me.

Beets - Thanks and thanks for the article.  I guess I'll have to try the brown rice and trail mix separately?  Or just get rid of all the brown rice?  I was just trying to use up what I had in the house from pre-W30.

I didn't end up eating the avocado yesterday due to the stomachache.  I am going to try that today.  And I'm going to have breakfast and then coffee.  I've been having coffee first and then I end up eating breakfast around 11.

I did get in my strength training last night and 3.5 miles.  But I didn't get to eat dinner until 8.  Not much I can do about that.

M1: 2 HB Eggs, avocado, veg soup; coffee with HC

M3: Taco meat over mixed greens with O&V

I'm glad your stomach feels better. I always have breakfast first and then coffee - rule follower that I am. :)

I had taco meat over greens for dinner, too.  I don't think my tummy likes ground beef much.

Wait, food then coffee? Is this in ISWF? Ha. Totally missed (or purposefully ignored) that. I almost always have coffee first. :(

Glad your stomach is better.

Coffee can be an appetite suppressant. I always drink mine with my meal. It has never seemed to stop me from omnomnoming. ;)

Thanks, Ladies!  At work, I've been all over the place experimenting with when to have coffee.  On the weekends, I tend to run, then shower, then eat, and then coffee.  I do have a double shot first thing in the morning as part of my regularity routine, which I don't count as drinking coffee.  Yes, I know it is silly not to count it.   :P

Jen, sorry to hear that the beef isn't agreeing with you.  I don't seem to have any issues with meat.  And I tried the trail mix again last night, and I don't think that caused the stomachache, I'm fine this morning.

Probably a 5 mile run tonight.  It is going to be very warm.  

I'm not sure if the avocado with breakfast had a major impact on hunger.  For some reason I had trouble getting it down yesterday.  Breakfasts have been an issue for me lately.  I'm not the biggest egg fan, and I know we can have other things.  But I already struggle to have enough food for lunches for the week.  If I make too many leftovers, my husband eats them!  I may try egg muffins again.  Or if anyone else has any ideas that are kind of breakfast-y feeling, I'd love to hear them.  I was thinking about doing salmon cakes...

M1: 2 HB Eggs, avocado, veg soup; coffee with HC

M3: Taco meat over mixed greens with O&V; glass of wine

• Moderators

Well Fed 2's salmon cakes are the best version I tried, and there are many varieties to test out. So far I especially like the tex mex and Middle East ones. They're heavy on sweet potato and almond meal, though, and I'm carb sensitive early in the day, so I don't do them for brekkie. My fave is a meat quiche that uses seasoned ground meat as a crust and for the filling I sauté half an onion with garlic, shiitake, a little grated root veggie, and spinach to which I add four eggs. It's a perfect template meal all in one and not too eggy.

Congrats on completing the NS challenge!

Sara - are you still eating yogurt?  If so, full fat greek yogurt could be a good breakfast.  Occasionally, when testing yogurt, I would mix in some spices and then dip chunks of sweet potato and chicken into it.  It was pretty good.  Did you like the chicken salad?  You could do that for breakfasts.  Make a big batch and divide it into 5 containers with a big keep out sign on it. :)  I LOVE eggs, so I'm not much help.  Massaged kale salad with hb eggs is delicious for breakfast.  Or any meal. :) 

LadyM - Thanks for stopping by!  The meat quiche sounds like a great idea.  Quick question - how do you handle the ground meat?  Do you cook it in a skillet first?  Cook it in the oven first and then do the rest?

Jen - I am still doing yogurt, although I typically have it in the afternoon.  Maybe what I really need to do is to mix things up and not have the same thing everyday for breakfast (although it makes planning so easy).  You and your kale and eggs!   :D   I like kale but I do not like massaging kale.  And for some reason, the last few days, I have been getting a gag reflex with HB eggs.  What's up with that???  Today wasn't as bad as yesterday.

I'll have to try both these ideas and also mixing up ideas to see if that helps me.

I find hard boiled eggs pretty gag worthy myself. You could try making egg salad or deviled eggs with them to make it more palatable. I do kale and eggs most morning but I saute my kale in bacon fat or ghee or coconut oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and let it cook down a bit and then scramble my eggs into that. I've never tried massaging kale, I almost always just cook it.

Archived