Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

I'm seriously loving my hunk of baked salmon for breakfast. THis is the first week I've done it and it's super awesome, especially with a mug of magic soup. Keeps me full and happy for hours. I got a $20 piece (wild salmon, so about a lb) and I have eaten for breakfast and some lunch every day this week. About to eat the last of t now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LadyM - Thanks for the recipe, I'll be making that this weekend!

Bethany - I'm going to try having a hard boiled egg cut up in my salad today and see how that goes.  As for the kale, I believe it is best to massage it if you aren't going to cook it, an unnecessary step for cooking.

Beets - I love salmon, but I don't know how I'd feel about it in the morning.  And I think my co-workers would definitely frown on it.   ;)   Part of my issue with breakfasts M-Th is that I'm eating at work.  So I need something portable and pre-cooked.

I had a good run last night, despite the heat.  A bit sore today, but that is probably from the strength training with the running on top of it.  I snuck out at lunch yesterday to stop by my son's 1st grade end of year picnic.  I'm glad I went, but would have appreciated more than a "hi, Mom".  Ah well, what can I expect from a 7 year old at a park with all his classmates.

Today is a rest day.  Have to make a quick trip to the grocery store, depending on timing, maybe I'll try to get a walk in?  Doubtful, but it sounds nice.

I'm trying to switch around food today and see if that helps things, so here's my plan:

M1: Veg soup, yogurt with berries; Coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast, HB Egg over mixed greens with O&V, apple with 1 tbs almond butter

M3: Peasant pasta sauce over zucchini noodles; glass of wine

• Moderators

Here's another portable breakfast idea, though it's pretty eggy: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

Also, just wanted to mention that I up the veg by using about half a large bag of frozen spinach along with added mushrooms in the quiche. And I grate a smaller amount of sweet potato or rutabaga instead of cubes for quicker cooking and smoother texture.

Hooray for rest days and knowing that your little guy appreciates your efforts more than he shows!

LadyM - Thanks for the tips.  Now I need to remember to get out the ground beef to make this.

Jen - Thanks, I just need to shift things around and experiment.

I'm proud of myself.  After dinner, instead of curling up on the couch with a book or turning on the TV, I went out for a half hour walk.  It was nice.  I wish my guys would have come, but I'm still glad I went.

Today is a long run, I'm aiming for 10, passing on the big hill this week to see if my blister can finish recovering.  I think I'll do strength training tomorrow, unless I feel better than I expect today.

Our plans for tonight got cancelled, so I'm not sure what's on tap.  I really don't have a plan for eating today either, which is unusual for me.

M1 Yogurt, berries, oatmeal, berries; coffee with HC

M2 Maybe a salad, but m1 started at 1pm... handful of cashews
M3 Peasant pasta sauce over zucchini noodles, two glasses of wine, bit of jarlsberg

The 10 miler did me in yesterday, I'm not sure why.  But I got it done.  I'm about to head out for 5 and then strength training.  We are having friends over for dinner.  We are either doing Thai or pizza.  I'm not sure what I'm doing if it is pizza.  I may just have a slice.  I love pizza and haven't had "real" pizza since October.  Gluten doesn't seem to bother me, at least in limited quantities.  I'm sure I'll be bloated tomorrow if I do it though.

Speaking of bloated, I think the trail mix was at least partially responsible for my bad stomach earlier in the week.  I had a small amount a couple of nights ago and definitely noted bloating the next day.  I didn't notice that with the same brand, different type I had.  But something to watch out for.

Not sure on food yet, I need to get my WOs done so I can get to cleaning.  Mostly just putting things away, vacuuming, wiping down the kitchen, etc.

Enjoy the weekend.  It is BEAUTIFUL here!   :D

Yes! Amazing here too. 🌞🌞

I wish I could casually eat a piece of pizza. If I ate it it'd be a week of battling serious cravings and stomach issues, skin issues.

There is probably something horrible in Thai too so you may as week eat what you will most enjoy!

Maybe the trail mix is just a bad batch? Good luck getting your cleaning done so you can get outside!

Beets - I do feel pretty lucky that gluten doesn't seem to impact me, at least not in small amounts.  So I did have a slice of pizza and really enjoyed it.  I wanted a second, but got myself a salad instead, I was really happy with that decision.

It really was a lovely weekend.  And the rain came in last night, perfect timing.  My son has two half days this week and then is done with school.  I took a half day tomorrow so we could do something fun after his last day of school.  Last night we took him to a pre-season swim team practice.  That seemed to go well.  He'll start real practices on Wednesday.

I ran 20 miles this weekend (Fri-Sun), for a 30 mile week!  Crazy!  This week will be tough with husband going away for a trade show and I have the Relay for Life Friday/Saturday.  I'm not sure how much control over food I'm going to have at the Relay.  I'm going to try to bring some compliant stuff, as I don't think anything that will be sold there will be worth not being compliant.  As of right now, I'm planning on taking HB eggs, roast beef/cheese roll ups, lara bars, cut up veggies.  If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.  I'll bring a cooler, but I don't know that I'll be able to keep stuff cold for the full 24 hours.

I made some meatcrust quiche over the weekend, but I think I messed it up.  I forgot to grab spinach at the store, so I tried using some old frozen vegetables, and I think they were past their prime.  The quiche does not look appealing, but I'm going to try it.  If it is awful, I'll throw it out and try again.  ETA: Okay, much better than it looks.  I still think it would be better with the spinach and not past due veg, but not bad at all.   :) 

Our freezer is bursting with our pig!  We had to ask my husband's brother to keep a box of meat for us.  Looks like that kahlua pork is in my very near future.

M1: Meat crust quiche, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens with O&V, yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken and mixed greens, glass of wine

• Moderators

Glad the meat quiche isn't a total disaster!

Meatballs, crudités and salmon cakes are my go-to travel foods.

Impressive mileage! Glad you had a lovely weekend!

LadyM - Salmon cakes are a great idea!

Super quick day at work, as I need to be out of here by 11:15 to get my son.  I'm not sure what we are doing, but he's so excited that I took a half day to get him.  I can't believe he is finishing 1st grade!

M1: Meat crust quiche, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Yogurt with berries

M3: Chicken Pork sausage patty and 1/2 salmon cakeover mixed greens with O&V, glass of wine (2)

Very impressive mileage!  And yay for a freezer ful of pork!  I can't remember the last time I bought meat at the grocery store.  I love having it available whenever I need it.

Wait until he's going to middle school!  I cannot believe I have a 7th grader!

Thanks, Jen!  It is convenient to have options available, and really shrinks the grocery bill.  But now we're thinking we really need an additional freezer.  Aack!  7th grade, it sounds so mature.

We had a good day yesterday, I'm glad I could be there to celebrate with my son.  But by 4pm, he was talking about missing school/friends and that he was going to miss school work and hopefully Nana would give him some work.  Very interersting.   :)

Husband is in NYC for a trade show, so my son and I are on our own for a couple of days.  Today I have another half day, to get my EMG done.  Hopefully they'll be able to tell me what's going on with my hands.  I'm hoping to get in a run today, probably somewhere between 3-5 miles on the treadmill.

I made the WF2 salmon cakes yesterday, thanks for the suggestion, LadyM.  The last time I made salmon cakes was when I was doing Low Carb, so I found a recipe with no sweet potato.  They were so dry.  The sweet potato makes a huge difference and I like these a lot.  I used the curry recipe.  So I've got 4 in the freezer to take to the Relay.

M1: M1: Meat crust quiche, veg soup; coffee with HC

M3: Chicken and mixed greens with O&V, glass of wine

And he's almost as tall as me!  Scary!

My 9yo is kind of missing his friends and the structure, too.  12yo will never admit it even if he does get bored this summer!

I hope the EMG gives you some answers.

• Moderators

Glad your salmon cakes turned out. How are the curry ones? I've made the Lebanese and the Tex-Mex versions as well as the original. Hers is the best recipe I've found. HATED NomNom's. First epic recipe fail of hers I've tried.

Good luck with the EMG.

Jen - My son keeps telling me he is almost as tall as me, not quite yet!

LadyM - I love curry, so I like them.  I'm glad to be reintroduced, as they are something pretty quick and easy to prepare, and I can also make them ahead and throw them in the freezer.

Thanks, ladies.  Unfortunately, the EMG didn't give me a lot of answers.  The one answer it gave is that I do not have carpal tunnel, which I will take as a good thing.  The doctor was sure it was going to be carpal tunnel based on my symptoms and job.  But he said that even stretching the results, it would be hard to say that I even have minimal damage.  So a continued search to figure out what is wrong.  I head back to my GP later this month.

I got in 4 miles yesterday.  I want to do strength training tonight, but I'll have to see how things go.  I still need to get prepared for the Relay on Friday.

M1: M1: Meat crust quiche, veg soup; coffee with HC

M3: Pork chops and mixed greens with O&V, glass of wine (destroyed the pork chops, too hot on the grill  :( )

Thanks, Ladies!

So today is the Relay.  My front lawn is a big puddle.  We had POURING rain last night and rain for the last few days.  At least the major storms are moving out, with isolated thunderstorms the rest of the day.  It is what it is.  I have salmon cakes and turkey/provolone rollups packed.  I'm stopping for some veggies on the way.  So eating should be fine and I'm starting the day with salad and meat quiche.

Have a great weekend!

I still haven't found any salmon cakes I liked. I didn't care for the sweet pot ones I tried. Maybe I need to try a different recipe. I do love fish cakes of all varieties and I love the idea of them as travel food.

My travel food now is meat cake and sweet pot in a soup thermos. Not exactly summer fare. Or the most appetizing option.

I missed the orig hand story and I'm on my phone but once I thought I had CT. I went to a neurologist and it turned out I was pinching a nerve in my neck/shoulder as I slept. I had to train myself to sleep on my back. (And then untrain that when I got pg.) Hope yours is a simple solution!

Overload of pork sounds like an amazing problem! I got some "country style ribs" from the farmers' market last week and slow cookered them with stock and cider. Yum! Kind of fall flavors but amazing.

I still haven't found any salmon cakes I liked. I didn't care for the sweet pot ones I tried. Maybe I need to try a different recipe. I do love fish cakes of all varieties and I love the idea of them as travel food.

Which ones have you tried? So far I have 3 favorites - the recipe in Well Fed 2 (I have only done it with the Asian seasoning), the ones in Quick and Easy Paleo Comfort foods (they have hot sauce but I think that is the only non-AIP ingredient), and these.

There was a terrible storm around 3pm.  Lightning, wind, torrential rain, flooding - lost tents, soggy stuff..  They ended up shutting down the relay for the night and restarted on Saturday from 6-6.  Saturday was beautiful.  The Relay did okay, but not the usual.  It was still a good event.  I only walked 5 miles which is the least walking I've ever done at a Relay.  But I was on my feet a lot and had some soreness around my ankles.  So I did not run yesterday.  I was pretty beat on Saturday after the event and getting up at 4:45.  I am so not a morning person.

Father's Day was nice.  My husband liked my son's gift that he thought up and picked out all on his own.  Then we went to the ILs for dinner.  I got in some cooking.

Today my son is finally getting his cavities filled.  Hopefully that goes smoothly.

M1: Egg muffins, veg soup, 1/4 avocado; coffee with HC

M3: Pork chop, mixed greens with O&V; glass of wine

Archived