Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

I got to bed a bit earlier, in bed before 10.  We also got my son in bed a half hour earlier, which he really needed.

Tonight is another swim meet, so another late night.  At least no one has to be anywhere Friday morning.  I'm trying to convince myself to get up every day of this three day weekend at 7.  I'm not a morning person, at all.  But for work/school purposes, I've been getting up at 5:30 for the last year and a half or so during the week.  I often sleep in on the weekends, even until 9-9:30.  I've read many articles about how it is so much better for you to wake up within an hour of your normal wake up time, even on the weekends.  I'm not doing 6:30 on the weekends, but I think I should try for 7.  It is SO hard for me to convince myself of this.  I won't wake up earlier than my guys, but my son usually pops up right at 7 (we don't let him come in earlier than that).  Can I actually do this (the call to roll back over is very strong for me)?

Feeling weirdly blah.  I'm not sure if it is the weather, very hot and humid and totally overcast.  Maybe lack of sleep?  Pressure of enjoying the summer while it is here?  I think I'm fighting a sinus infection, feeling strange in my eye area and often dizzy, light-headed.  I also had two days of irregularity, but that seemed to correct course today.  My hands have also been really bothering me the last two days - weather? or the fact that I've been thinking about them a lot?  I've been picking at the AB at work (which I keep for emergencies), but I think that has a lot to do with my mood.  Today I'm going to do no AB at work.  I have an apple if I really feel like I need to snack on something, and I will not have AB with it.  Blah probably related to some combination of all of the above?

M1: meat quiche, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Chicken breast over mixed greens, yogurt with berries

M3: Swim meet which typically means not eating, as I'm running around or volunteering and then something when I get home, really late (I've been trying to do broccoli and hummus, so at least getting in some good green veg)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a good weekend!  We got a lot done in preparation for my son's birthday party on Saturday.  Now it is trying to keep things from getting too messy during the week.

Today my son is 8, so hard to believe.  His big gift from us this year is a trip into NYC to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.  I hope he gets excited about it.  I'm a little nervous, because we aren't going until November, so this is definitely delayed gratification for him.

Dinner at my parents' to celebrate his birthday - I think they are having hamburgers and hot dogs or something similar.  I made egg muffins over the weekend, with kale - so I'll be thinking of Jen while eating those.   :)   And the kale is from our garden.

M1: Egg muffins with kale and sausage, veg soup; coffee with HC

M2: Grilled chicken, broccoli and hummus, yogurt and berries

M3: TBD

I'm glad you had a nice weekend. Did the blah feeling go away?  I really think my funks are all sleep related.  Well, that and hormones. :)  Love being a girl. LOL 

Did your son love his party?  My son turns 10 a week from tomorrow, but his party isn't until August.  Too much soccer.  I am trying to convince him that going to the opening ceremony of a tournament which 12 yo plays in on his birthday is ok.  I told him the parade and fireworks are for his birthdya.  He's not buying it.  :)  My son got his gift early - a bunk bed.  So, we kind of have the same thing going on where the gift isn't given on the day of the birthday.  We keep reminding him that is his big gift and he seems ok with it.  Fingers crossed he is ok with it on the day.  Your son will LOVE your trip!  He'll remember that forever.

Eggs and kale - yum!

Jen - I think the blah's are dissolving.  Not totally gone, but going.  My son's party is this Saturday.  I really hope he loves it.  55 people and counting!   :blink:  It is a minecraft party, so we are doing a lot of DIY decorations.  Time consuming!  He was okay with the gift, but did ask if that was all we got him.  I had to explain that the trip was really expensive and that it is something he will really enjoy.  By the time he gets through his gifts on Saturday, it will be forgotten, but I know he is going to love the trip when it actually happens.

My son had a great day on his birthday - visit from cousin's, new DS from my parents', a game from us.  Then a sleepover with his cousin.  I took the day off yesterday, which allowed the sleepover.  Then I got to spend most of the day hanging out with my sister.

Today is crazy.  I'm running out at lunch to try a new eyebrow threading place.  Then karate at 5, dinner at my parents', my son will sleep over there with his cousin.  Tomorrow is another swim meet that is about an hour away, so I have to leave work early - and on a day when we have consultants coming in.  Then party prep Friday and Saturday.  My stress level is a little high at the moment, but I know I'll get it all done.  It is just handling the logistics.

M2: Grilled chicken, broccoli and hummus, yogurt and berries

M3: Quiche and kale salad

That is some party!  I'm sure it will be fab.  I always figure my kids get enough gifts from others, too, that we don't have to overdo it.  We usually let the grandparents do the fun toys and we do the boring stuff like clothes and books.  And in this case, furniture. LOL  We also don't let them get gifts from their kid/friend parties.  We do donations instead.  almost 10yo usually asks for school supply donations for his summer birthday party that he then brings in to school to donate and gets to feel good about that.  We've also done humane socieity, food shelf and toys for tots.  12yo and his bff did toys for tots for their joint 7th bd party and got to be on tv because of it!  They felt like movie stars.  I think the bff was actually convinced he was a movie star for a while. :)

Good luck with your crazy day!

Jen - That's a great idea with the donations.  And I love that they got your kids got great recognition for doing it.  I've been struggling with ideas to give people.  I have a feeling he is going to end up with a TON of B&N gift certificates.

LadyM - Thanks!

Made it through day one of crazy.  I got to do the birthday bumps to my son at karate (light hits with a padded bat).  He had told me he wasn't going to tell Sensei that it was his birthday, but then he did.  It was cute.  Great fun to see the boys riding their bikes after dinner.

Consultants are in at 9:30 and I'm meeting with them until noon, I think.  Then a manager meeting.  So I better get some stuff done...

M2: Grilled chicken, mixed greens with O&V, yogurt and berries

M3: Probably a larabar, maybe some broccoli when I get home

For a summer birthday, the school supplies donation works well.  The past few years, almost 10yo brought in several backpacks STUFFED with supplies and got his picture taken with the principal and put in the school newsletter.  He felt very proud.  Almost enough to make up for no gifts!  I just remind him that he gets so many from friends and family and he doesn't need more.  I got the idea from the very first kid party my older son was invited to.  It was twins and when they realized every kid at daycare accepted and would likely bring 2 gifts and they have a small house, they backpeddled quickly and told everyone no gifts.  We've done it ever since and have inspired many other friends to do the same.  I feel like the donation idea works better than no gifts because people want to bring something. They feel weird coming empty handed.  Your party sounds like it would be tough to do that, though, because it's friends and family and HUGE! :)  We just do that for the kid/friend party.

Have a good day.  My day was non stop meetings yesterday.  I'm hoping to actually work today!

The party was a huge success!   :D   Plenty of food, the sun was shining, and my son had a fantastic time.  I'm pretty sure all 25 kids went home and slept like logs - in and out of the pool, up and down with the slip n slide, plenty of games; it really was great.

My eating has been okay.  I ate some non-plan things, but didn't go crazy.  I'll continue to eat some off plan things until they are gone, like pasta salad.  But I didn't have any sweets, no sugary drinks, or anything like that (assuming you don't consider wine a sugary drink!).  No ill effects from anything I did eat.  Well, I'm a little bloated today, but I can blame that as much on TOM as I can anything I ate.

I do wish I could get a few of the hours back that I spent worrying about having enough food.   :blink:

Busy week for swim team with meets Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  I only got in one day of running over the weekend (but at least it was a beautiful run on the tow path with my sister) and this week is going to be tough.  There is only one swim meet next week, so I think I'll be able to get back into my routine next week.

I'm not even bothering to log my food for the next couple of days, as I am eating a hodge podge of leftovers.  I did take time to make egg muffins and vegetable soup yesterday, so at least I'm getting one good meal a day in!

Had a good visit with my sister last night.  She just moved and started a new job, so she's pretty intense.   :)

The forecast is for more thunderstorms this afternoon/evening, so we'll see if the swim meet gets cancelled.  We're running out of time for make-ups.

Right now I'm really wishing I had a teacher's schedule, it would be nice to have more freedom in the summer.  Ah well, trying not to waste too much time wishing for what is not.

We're almost through most of the party food, I'll be happy to get back on track, even though I'm not that far off track right now.

• Moderators

Wish I could share my flexible schedule with you! If it's an consolation, sometimes I wish for a little more structure to my time. I try to create it myself, but like all things, it's a work in progress.

I do think, though, that every company should offer summer hours (half hour lunches m-th and half day Fridays, for example) and birthdays off to their employees. If only I were queen of the world, eh?

LadyM - I know I am much more productive when I'm busy.  I'm also more stressed.  It's a trade-off.  I nominate you for Queen of the World!  :lol:

They were able to get the whole meet in last night, although the weather looked very sketchy.  My son got first place in backstroke.  :wub:

Another meet tonight.  My husband is in CT.  And he had to leave the meet last night because he wasn't feeling well.  His parents may come to the meet tonight, we'll see if that happens.

I'm feeling my lack of exercise and I'm not liking it.  I may have to re-discuss morning workouts with my husband again.  I hate to have to do it, but it just isn't fitting in otherwise.

• Moderators

Mama's got to take care of herself if she's to take care of everyone else. Good luck finding a way to workout and help reduce some of that stress.

Woot for first place in backstroke!!

I hope you find a way to fit in some running.  I agree with M that it might help destress the week.  But, if you can't fit it in, it's also ok to give yourself permission to let it go this week.

Thanks, Ladies!  Jen, I am definitely not getting the runs in this week.  But I need to be able to figure things out for moving forward.  I have my first half in September and I'm barely running!  Plus that whole stress reliever thing.

Made it through another swim meet, with both sets of grandparents.  My son and another little boy were psyching each other up for the freestyle relay, it was so cute.  My son is on his third day of wearing his swim team t-shirt, I'll need to peel it off him to wash this weekend.

Another meet tonight, this one is farther away, so I'll have to leave work early.

Other than a vegetable tray, all the party food is finished.  So it will be good to get my lunches back to normal.  Although I can't really say I feel that off (I've been having pasta salad and a long grain rice salad, along with lots of veggies).  It is also TOM, so that confuses things a bit.  Or maybe I'm lucky enough to just not be that sensitive to gluten/grains.

• Moderators

No discernible sensitivity is either a blessing or a curse depending on what you do with it! Hooray for no more leftovers!

Love how proud and happy your son is about swimming now. Must make the time and energy commitment on your part more bearable if not joyful, too.

Interesting about the potatoes being added to the W30.  Also, W30 logs are no longer being moderated.

LadyM -  :D   Isn't it awesome!  It makes me really happy and yes, even though I can get stressed out during the week trying to make everything happen, I think swim team is joyful.  Thanks for reminding me of that!

• Moderators

I missed that!  Potatoes are good (I'm Irish!), but I'll stick to my sweet potatoes for the most part. :)

I feel the same way and always have. I've also been flexible with potatoes post w30, mostly with eating breakfasts out.

I stopped excluding potatoes after my first... I have been known to eat chips while on a whole30 though so I understand why they were excluded... No different to eating coconut cocoa date balls I guess so restraint is required whatever the food...

Were all the posts moderated before? Or are moderators now no longer participating as moderators?

The longer I eat this way the better my tolerance. I had porridge this weekend with no effect! Peanuts on the other hand gave me heartburn.

Juz - The way I read the post is that there will still be moderators in the forums, they just won't be going into people's W30 logs and telling them that they are off plan.

It was a good weekend.  Quiet, which I really needed after the craziness the weekend before.  My son and husband spent WAY too much time gaming this weekend.  I like that they are doing it together, but it was still overload.

I got in two good runs, a six miler and a 5 miler.  This week is going to be rough again, we have something going on every night of the week.

I've decided to take a break from logging my food.  I haven't been entering it in MFP or here.  It feels freeing.  I'm going to keep weighing, at least for now.  I haven't weighed in more than once a day in months though, so I'm okay with it.  My weight also hasn't moved outside a 3 pound range in months.  Which I'm trying to be okay with...

• Moderators

Congrats on getting in some good runs! How did it feel?

I think it's healthy to take a break from logging. You step on the scale every day, though? And it works for you? I'm curious about that. I've never been much of a daily weigher, except when I've done weight watchers. I have gone periods of avoiding the scale in which I gained hugely, however, so I can understand the impulse to keep tabs. I haven't thrown out my scale, but I don't feel compelled to use it, either.

A stable weight is a good thing, especially if you're anywhere near a healthy weight. I wonder what it would feel like to get to place where I genuinely felt satisfied with my weight. Let go of any desire to keep losing. Does any woman ever get there?

I'm glad you had a relaxing weekend and got in some runs.  My kids spent too much time on video games, too, but I just let it go.  They don't get much during the week and they were helpful when I asked. 

I weigh daily.  It's a habit I can't break and I guess I don't see it as destructive so I haven't been motivated to break it.  I like keeping tabs on things and it can be interesting data (I'm an accountant, after all.  I like data. :) ).  I am at a stable weight and at a healthy weight, but I still can't let go of the desire to lose.  I am, though, making great strides at accepting where I am and that I'm doing what I'm willing to do and all that.  It doesn't mean I don't want to lose 5 lbs.  It just means that I accept that I'm not willing to do more at this time to lose those 5lbs so I can minimize the emotional impact the number has on me.

Archived