Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm loving the zucchini discussion I missed!   :D   Bethany, I hope you figured out a way to eat all the zucchini!

Juz - The 14 miler took me almost 3 hours!  I'll talk more about it below.

Jen - The trial month sounds like a great plan.  It lets him try it out without making it a forever commitment.  I hope he ends up liking it, I really think it is a great activity.

We had a great trip.  We hit a bit of traffic on the way up and the weather was cooler than I would have preferred.  There was lots of rest and relaxation.  I read a ton, which I love.  We were out on the ranger, had fires, and did a bit of target shooting.  I got in four runs - a hilly 7 miler, a very flat 14 miler, hilly 5 miler, and a flat 6 miler.  The day I did the 6 miler on the rail trail, my husband and son brought their bikes and went for a ride.  The 14 miler was really tough.  It was so flat and I'm really used to hills.  I think the flat fatigued my legs.  But it was good I did a flat, as my half is supposed to be be flat to slightly downhill.  My feet really started bothering me around mile 7 and the last 2-3 miles were really rough.  It made me realize I might need a fueling strategy for the half.  I did have water, thank goodness, but I think almost 3 hours of running was pushing how far I could go without fueling.

My eating was fine - mostly on plan with some extra drinks, a few tortilla chips, and a few triscuits (of all things).  Weight is stable and I didn't even think about the scale while we were away.

Friday we unpacked and had my nephew stay over.  Saturday I did a 5.5 mile run and we had my niece's first birthday party.  Yesterday we had lunch at my parents' with my sister's family and my brother who is in from SC.  Then back to the house for some cleaning and prepping for the week.  I did laundry before coming back from vacation and that made a huge difference in what I had to get done when we got back, I'll definitely try to do that again in the future.

I'm going to try to get in at least a short run before my brother stops by this evening.

My son has decided to try out the swim team.  He committed to doing the Sept-Oct session and then the plan is to let him have off for the Nov-Dec session.  He did have a moment of buyers remorse when I told him when the practices were, but that only lasted for a couple of minutes.  He starts back to school next Monday - where did the summer go???  :blink:

One other oddity, I apparently have pityriasis rosea which is basically a rash on my torso.  It is slightly itchy and looks horrific.  Thank goodness it is on my trunk which is covered by clothes.  It can last from a few weeks to a few months - I'm really hoping for the shorter time frame and that it doesn't spread to my limbs or my face.

Hope you are all doing well.  I will try to make the rounds, but I have a bit to catch up on at work.

Welcome back!  I'm glad you had a great trip.  Triscuits are addictive!  I get that one.  I love that I can do our laundry at the cabin.  It makes a huge difference coming home.  Good for your son deciding to try the new swim team!  I can't believe summer is just about over.  So sad!  Sorry about the rash! 

• Moderators

So happy for you and your runs, Sara! and now you can relax a little about the half--you know you're capable and can now strategize how to best prepare. ugh about the rash. Skin things are terrible. I hope it disappears quickly.

The rash isn't too bad, it seems to be at its worst first thing in the morning, but at least it isn't too itchy.  And Juz, I'm pretty sure that triscuits aren't the cause.  Although delightful with cheese, I doubt triscuits are worth importing.  Ha!  I didn't know they were 100 years old, I remember my parents putting them out for card club when I was a little kid.

I did a quick 3 mile run on the treadmill last night.  I'm trying to get most of my runs flat, to address the fatigue I had on my long run.  I'll try to get another short run in tonight.

My brother stopped by last night, so it was nice to catch up with him.  He doesn't get home enough.

I've added some things to my lunch salads - craisins, nuts of some type, pumpkin seeds, etc.  It is reviving my love of salads.  The craisins have some sugar, but I'm only having a few sprinkled on the salad, so I'm willing to go with it.  The pumpkin seeds are sprouted and don't seem to bother my stomach as part of the salad.

We've finally made a dent in the our pork supply, so I am picking up some fish tonight.  We haven't had it in forever and I really need to get it back in the rotation.

Speaking of pork, ladies who've made the Kahlua pork in the crock pot - what type of pork roast did you use?  Bone in or out?  I have 4 different types of roasts, I think.  I'd appreciate any input!

• Moderators

It is always nice to mix it up with salads and love them again. It's the little things that do it--usually a little added sweetness or crunch. I've been mad about fennel shavings and using fresh squeezed orange juice in my vinaigrettes lately.

I've used bone in butt or shoulder for the kalua pork. Honestly, though, I don't think you can go wrong with that recipe as long as you use a nice fatty cut. I've made it with and without bacon and could hardly tell a difference--same with red vs pink salt. You're in for such a treat!

Are you sure the fatigue was from running flat and not one of the other million variables like hormones, fuel, water, heat, etc? It's always good to mix it up, but I'd hate to see you forego hills altogether, since they help with strength gains. Flatter is almost always easier, no?

LadyM,

Fennel is a great idea!

I can't wait to try it.  I need a good cool day to run the crockpot!

When I'm talking about fatigue, I'm talking about leg fatigue.  I think the repetition of flat, with no variety of change of elevation fatigued my legs (repetitive motion type fatigue).  Hills are a great strength builder and I will continue to do them (I'm surrounded), but I also want to add in some longer flat runs to get my legs used to that repetition.  Does that make sense?  I would have agreed with you on flatter always being easier, until in the moment, it wasn't easier!

Jen - It is VERY hilly where I live.  I live at the top of a huge hill, so I always have to finish uphill.  I tell myself it is good training.

So what's that saying about best laid plans...  As I was leaving work last night, I managed to lock my car key in the car.  It shouldn't happen, as I have keyless entry, but I managed it somehow.  A co-worker took me home and back to work, so I could get our spare key.  So there went the grocery store, my run, ah well.  And of course I was supposed to pick up fish for dinner, so it was a make-do kind of night.  I had a strange tuna salad concoction with not enough veg.

My digestion is struggling right now, which of course has me feeling bloated.  Boo.  And I swear this allergy season is endless.  Okay, enough complaining.

I am going to try to move my eyebrow appointment so I can get to the grocery store, as we are out of almost everything.  I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, so I'm struggling to figure out how to fit everything in, but I will figure it out.

Maybe I'll try to do that kahlua pork this weekend?  We are babysitting my two nieces, 1 and 3, so I don't think we'll be venturing out too much.  Might be a good time for it...

Yes, it's ongoing, although I've mostly had a few good months.  Good call, I'm still mostly off yogurt - eating on the weekends, but not during the work week.  Maybe I should try bringing it back, in a smaller amount?  I've missed it.

Jen - I'm adding it back today.

I finally got to the grocery store last night, thank goodness.  I made salmon and it was horrible!  The grill was on fire and the salmon got all smoky and gross.  That stinks when you have to pay so much for salmon.  But my husband cleaned the grill and I think we are in good shape again.  My dentist appointment got cancelled for today, so I need to reschedule that.

So maybe I'll get a run in?  Definitely running tomorrow.

No run last night.  We did do some harvesting in the garden and started on some other things around the house.

Yesterday and now today again, I'm feeling bloated.  I'm not sure what that is from?  Beans?  I had them with lunch all week and some hummus on Wednesday night, but no beans at all yesterday (well, green beans with dinner).  Definitely not the yogurt, because the bloating started before the yogurt.  Maybe my veg lunch idea won't work so well with beans.  I like the idea of having a veg meal a day, but I don't want to skip protein.  Hmmmm....

Off to do 5 miles on the treadmill.  I told my son I was going to run and he said, "Oh, inside.  You wouldn't leave me alone."  Ha, at 8, no, I won't leave you alone.   :D

• Moderators

After months of not eating them, beans give me terrible trouble. I'd like to try a proper reintro, but I think different legumes act differently in the body, especially depending on what you eat them with. Maybe it was too much fiber all at once? It's always a crapshoot, isn't it?

LadyM - Maybe it wasn't smart to try to do it 3 days in a row, plus hummus.  Maybe I should try one day on, one day off?  Or 1/2 beans, 1/2 animal protein?  Either way, I have to try something different.  Feeling a little better after my run, but...

Yeah, beans and I don't get along very well, either.  I think it's worth a try to just have them for one day and see if that is better.  A container of Greek yogurt has 20 grams of protein...  But, will it keep you full?

I also would like to have meatless, eggless, fishless meals occasionally but legumes and dairy don't work for me.

Best I can do is have a bowl of soup followed by berries with coconut cream and cashews, or a big salad with a few tablespoons of pepitas...

I thought of you this morning Sara when I was considering turning my walk this morning into a run but I decided to play it safe and rebuild my fitness a bit this week first.

Busy morning!  Today was the first day of school around here.  I decided to take my son in today, so I was a bit late to work.  Despite a breakdown yesterday, he was fine today and ran right in.  I hope it is a happy and successful year.  Things should start getting crazy now.   ;)

Saturday morning I got up at 5:30 and got in 8.5 miles before 8.  I believe I have mentioned (dozens of times) that I'm not a morning person.  But it really felt liberating to have my run done that early on a weekend.  I'll really have to contemplate that.  It was early enough that my husband was able to fall back to sleep, so I was really the only one inconvenienced.  No run on Sunday, but I'll get something in tonight.

We had a great sleepover with my nieces.  They were really good and troopers about being away from their parents.  My son loved having them.

I'm still recovering from whatever bloated me up last week.  Slowly I'm coming back down.  My plan for this week is a big salad without any real added protein and yogurt and berries for lunch.  We'll see how that goes.

Two weeks until my half, aack!!!   :blink:

• Moderators

Nice insight about the early morning run. Maybe gaining the you time will eventually outweigh the inconvenience.

Two weeks? Woot! You already know you can do the distance, so just enjoy the training and tapering the best you can. I'm excited for you!

I also hope it's a great new school year for your son.

Thanks, ladies.  I'm trying not to let myself get nervous.  I know I can do the distance, but I'm still nervous.

LadyM - here's to hoping I can take that insight and do something with it!

First day back at school went well and completely tuckered out my son.  He was asleep before 8pm.

Bloating seems to be reducing, even as AF should be making an appearance soon.  Yogurt seems to fine, so that's a relief.

You can do it!  You know you can. 

I always find it funny that a day sitting at a desk all day can tucker the kids out so much! 

I'm glad the yogurt is working.  I had some this morning for breakfast to see if it will help get things moving. 

Archived