Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Nothing over 4 miles for a week? You need to allow your heart muscle to rest/recover... Even if your body isn't still sore....

How are you recovering by the way?

I'm still coughing up gunge so no running for me. I possibly need antibiotics but I've worked so hard to recover my gut health I refuse to consider I just yet. I did have a good batch of chicken soup this week...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Juz - I am recovering well, thanks!  Hope you are feeling better.

Beets - Thank you! Loving the kahlua pork, so good.

I had a good weekend.  I did a slow 6 miler on Friday and then decided to take the rest of the weekend off.  I think I'll do an easy 3 miler tonight.  I'm keeping training light again this week, as I head out Thursday to see my brother in SC.  We're going to do a bunch of hiking/walking, so probably not much running.  I'll get back on track after the trip.

My son had a sleepover Saturday night, so we were childless for 24 hours.  It was nice, but so quiet.  Kind of lonely in a way.

I'm trying the reduced amount of yogurt today, to see how that helps with my reflux-style issue.  Went from 7oz to 5oz.  Nothing much else new on the food front.  We did indulge in sushi on Saturday night when my son was gone.  Yum!

Ladies, I agree.  Jen, the unrushed morning was really nice, as usually I would have been heading out the door for a run, child or no child.  But I don't look forward to the days when my son is away more than he is home.

Did a quick 4 miler yesterday.  I felt good, other than my foot.  I've invested in some shoes, to see if that helps.  I got a pair of Birkenstocks  :ph34r:  for around the house and a pair of Danskos for work.  Oh, if only you knew my normal footwear!  I like to wear 4" heels to work.  I love stylish, high heeled shoes.  My SIL sent me a shut the front door response when I said I had bought a pair of Birks, so not like me.  But I'm hoping that wearing more practical shoes most of the time will solve my problem and allow me to wear my favorite heels on special occasions.  My heels are overkill at work, where most of my co-workers where flip-flops, ugh!   :rolleyes:

Tonight is crazy grocery shopping, karate, swim team night.  Hopefully all goes smoothly and my son doesn't feel too "rushed".

Yogurt test seemed to go well yesterday.  Trying it again today.

I tried a new recipe for my morning soup, something I would never have come up with on my own, but it is pretty good - broccoli, spinach, mushrooms with 2 tbsps of tahini.  The tahini really does add an interesting flavor.  I like the ginger lime combo, but was getting bored.

Getting a bit agitated about everything that is going on.  I leave for SC today and get back on Sunday.  My husband leaves for NH on Monday right after work and will return early Friday morning.  My parents (my son's caregivers) are heading to Hawaii on Tuesday for two weeks.  That leaves me with lots of logistics issues, not to mention leaving work early pretty much for two weeks.  Aack!  I'll get through it, but it is going to be a scramble.  And I always get nervous when traveling (once the flights or drive is over, I'm fine).

Food should be interesting while visiting my brother.  I expect we'll mostly eat out.  My son is so annoyed with me that I'm not taking him.  Last time I went, I took my son and it was an all about my son kind of weekend.  As you can expect, he loved it.

Off to get some stuff done!

• Moderators

Despite the logistics, I hope you can still fit in a run here and there to help you keep your sanity.

Have a wonderful trip and I hope you can just enjoy yourself without worrying too much about food.

I had a great visit with my brother.  Food was not great.  And it wasn't good choices, not things that made me happy I went off track.  And times when I could have made better choices, like I could have had carrots instead of chips, or a better menu choice.  LadyM - a little more worry about food might have been a good idea...  And now I'm paying the price- irregulariy, bloating, just not feeling well.  And of course the associated weight gain.  I'm home now and my wonderful husband cooked up a batch of kahlua pork, and I had breakfasts prepared before I left, so getting back on track should be fairly easy.

We went on a great hike at Table Rock State Park in SC.  It was a strenuous hike.  Then on Saturday we went for a long walk at Furman University, which has a gorgeous campus.  So at least I feel like I got in some good exercise, even if it wasn't running.

Tonight is our free night, so I'm thinking I may try to get in some strength training.  Tomorrow is crazy day - dentist appt for my son, karate, and swim team.  My intention is to take my running clothes and get in a short run during swim team.

As for logistics, thank goodness my boss is understanding.  I talked to him this morning and I'm going to come and go as needed, and then come in for a couple/few extra hours on Friday to make sure I stay on track.

Lots of tears this morning as my son is upset my husband is going away.

Thanks, Jen!

So in the interest of being kind to myself, I decided to wait on the strength training until after these two crazy weeks pass.  Also, tonight I'm going to go for a walk during swim team, instead of trying to run (which means I shouldn't need to throw a shower for me into the ridiculous evening mix).  Felt a little less stressed after making these choices.

Kahlua pork is awesome!  :)  Does anyone know how long you can keep it in the fridge?  I'm trying to decide if I should throw some in the freezer, so it doesn't go bad.

Thanks, Jen!

So we made it through yesterday.  Why did it only occur to me this morning that I could have moved his dentist appointment to a different day?  I was so worried about getting it all done, I didn't think about how to make life easier.  Silly girl!  My son finally finished homework at 8:45 and was in bed about 9.  He usually is in bed by 8, so not the best.  But we survived.  And he passed his test, so he will get his new belt in karate on Friday.

Tonight we just have karate, so it should be smooth sailing.

Derek - nice to see you!  I hope I'll be able to catch up with you in your log!

Last night was much better!  And unlike yesterday, I remembered that  I needed to feed my son breakfast before school this morning (typically, my Dad gives him breakfast before dropping him off).

I decided to do a little tracking, as I had a suspicion that I am lower carb than I really want to be.  I was thinking about my race and how well it went and also realized that I was eating a sweet potato everyday the week before the race.  Maybe a correlation?  Anyway, my typical day, with fruit and yogurt, about 10% carbs (using net carbs).  That is definitely not where I want to be.  Yesterday I had half a sweet potato, that brought me up to 15% carbs, still too low.  I definitely need to add in some starchy veg, no more saying I'm doing it, just do it.  And it is a good time for it - sweet potatoes, butternut squash, apples, etc.  Luckily I'm going to the grocery store tonight, so I can do some stocking up.

• Moderators

Yes to more starchy veg. For too long I was afraid of carbs and I've learned the hard way how necessary they are. Very satisfying, too! And I think root veg do something different from fruit, fwiw.

Since you are active, the 50g-100g of carbs or whatever may not cut it.  I have been enjoying the squashes and sweet potatoes lately.  Also, I've rediscovered white rice.  I know it's not W30, but I've found it is pretty innocuous compared to other grains.  Just pure starch.  Having a bit more starch in the diet helps with recovery so you can move on to the next workout.  Best wishes. 

Thanks, LadyM and Derek.  I really wasn't consciously avoiding carbs, but I guess once you cut them, it is harder to get them in, especially without the traditional grains.  Now that I'm focused on it, really focused on it, I will get them up.  And I'm interested to see how if it helps how I feel and with recovery.

My stomach is feeling off this morning, not sure why.  Maybe due to the increased carbs - need time to adjust?  I guess we'll see.

My husband just got home from his trip.  My son has a half day and I'm at work on my day off.  Hopefully my husband will get a nap, because my son is going to be all over him when we get home.   :)

We had a good weekend.  It went fast.  I got to babysit my niece, who is almost 2, on Saturday, so that was fun.  Then we had dinner with friends.  Yesterday was catch up on laundry day, mostly folding, like 3 hours of folding.   :rolleyes:   At least it is done now.

Another busy week with my parents still away and month end at work.  At least things will be back to normal next week.  :)

Nothing exciting on the food front, although I am continuing with my efforts to increase carbs.  So far so good.  No noticeable changes, although my urine no longer has that weird keto smell (sorry TMI).

I got in a short, very painful (foot) run on Friday and then a much better 4.5 miler yesterday.  Some pain yesterday, but nothing like Friday.

You can get through this week!  At least you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Folding laundry was more fun back when I watched tv.  I haven't started watching anything this fall, so I don't have anything to do while folding.  I try to make the boys do it. :)  Take it easy with your foot!

Jen - No way could I have managed all that laundry without some bad TV!  We don't have cable, but I have a bunch of things I watch on Netflix.

Juz - Pretty sure I have Plantar Fasciitis.  I'm trying to rehab it on my own, but sometimes running is really painful.  I have a doctor appointment coming up and will definitely address it then.

Derek - Thanks!

So I think I'm relieved to be dealing with month-end tonight, instead of the crazy karate/swim schedule.  At least there isn't a dentist appointment tonight!

No run last night, because my foot was sore.  I'm trying to be smart about this...  Mixing up my food a bit, to get in the carbs without going calorie crazy.  Seems to be okay so far.  I'm bloated, but that could be due to AF and not increased carbs.  Maybe a bit of both? 

Archived