Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

I'm always dealing with it, too.  I haven't found the secret to making it a non issue.  The mag heps a lot, but not every day. 

I need to get some ground beef so I can make chocolate chili.  That sounds good.  We're all out, though, so I probably have to wait until we pick up our pig after Thanksgiving and hopefully can get a case of ground beef to tide us over for a while.  We're not up for buying a cow right now, too, with the project and all the addl costs that come from that. 

I missed that you got a new food processor!  Make the rice.  It's good.  :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jen - I agree, the mag definitely helps, but it just isn't the daily cure I'd like.  We've gone through most of our pig, but have decided no more bulk purchases until we have a standalone freezer.  We plowed through the pork, and really didn't get to enjoy it.

Still didn't make the rice, just didn't have the time!  Maybe tonight...

Feeling better today, finally.  Lots to still get done to go away, but life is pretty good at the moment.

• Moderators

Are you sure you're taking enough Mg? I agree it's not necessarily the magic bullet and there are other variables, but I've finally found a good place and seem to be holding steady. I hope you find it, too.

I think I'm the only paleo follower in the world who does not love chocolate chili. I thought I did, and I made a double batch a couple weeks ago, but I just wasn't in love with it. I finished it, but it was work. But enjoy the heck out of it, both of you!

LadyM - I was starting to worry that maybe the high dose of mag I was taking was leading to the dizziness and some other symptoms I've been having, including low blood pressure.  I had been on a chelated glycinate, high absorption type.  So I've decided to try a citrate, which is still higher absorption than an oxide, but less easily absorbed than the chelated glycinate.  Less easily absorbed means more easily exited.  So far, a much lower dose of the citrate seems to be having good effects.  However, it is definitely harder on the stomach.  So I may look into mixing up the glycinate and citrate.  Again, this is all self experimentation and some of the symptoms I've been having may have nothing at all to do with the magnesium.

I found out yesterday that my BF's grandmother passed away.  So I'm waiting to hear when the services are going to be.  If they are this weekend, then I won't be heading to the cabin for the weekend.  I hate to bother her about the details, but I need to know today...  so I'll have to text her this morning.

Time to get back on the exercise band wagon.  Not being able to run doesn't mean I can't work out at all, but that's what I've been doing.  I think it is okay to have a little exercise vacation, but it has definitely gone on long enough.  A couple extra pounds are starting to add up, and I want to nip that in the bud. 

More mag doesn't work for me.  TMI, but it changes the consistency and frequency during the day, but I still have days with none.  Hope the changed formula works - lots of science-y talk there! :)  Sorry about your BFs grandfather and possibly missing the cabin weekend.  :*(  That happened to me a couple years ago.  I was bummed to miss the cabin weekend, but as I read somewhere "Always go to the funeral"!

I think I'm the only paleo follower in the world who does not love chocolate chili. I thought I did, and I made a double batch a couple weeks ago, but I just wasn't in love with it. I finished it, but it was work. But enjoy the heck out of it, both of you!

I only made it once and I got terrible horrible heartburn so I'm afraid to make it again.

No cabin, funeral is on Saturday.  If this wasn't my BF, it might be different.  Also, if I could have gotten to either the viewing or the funeral and still have gone away, I might have tried that.  But I need to be there.  It will also let me get caught up on some things at home, as I've been doing a lot of running around.  I can really get in good shape for next week.

As for the chocolate chili, I don't think there is anything in food/life that works for everyone.  I tell my son, that's what makes life interesting (and stressful sometimes).  But no chocolate chili for me, and my husband will be on his own to make it.  I'm sure all the guys are going to be disappointed that there won't be someone back at the house to have everything ready for when they come in from hunting.

LadyM - You are so right.  Going was really the only choice.

The services were lovely and I'm glad I could be there to support my friend.  There was much celebrating of a strong, loving, and spirited woman.  And to complete the circle of life, I had a baby shower yesterday.  I can't wait for my next door neighbor's baby to arrive in January.

My boys had a good time at the cabin.  My son was able to sit up in a tree stand with his Dad and they didn't kill each other.  ;)

In exercise news, I have finally gotten back on the exercise horse.  Hour walks and strength training on Friday and Sunday.  On Sunday, per my doctor, I added some running spurts.  My foot feels fine today, so that's a good sign.  It hurt a bit during the spurts.  I guess I pulled something in my upper back, lower shoulder when lifting.  It feels like someone punched me in the back, very uncomfortable.  I didn't notice anything while I was lifting, so it could be sleeping, but it seems very coincidental that it started the day after my first workout.

• Moderators

Glad things seem to be moving in the right direction, especially with your foot--and I'm glad you're under medical supervision. I find that minor strains and aches and pains and soreness are par for the course when lifting. Unless it's a really bad pain, I pretty much work through it and it subsides until the next thing appears. Such is life in these bodies. . . . 

I'm feeling a bit down.  I'm still having a lot of pain in my shoulder/neck.  By last night, it was pretty intolerable.  Sitting at work definitely aggravated it.  And I haven't gone to the bathroom in several days.   :(   And I'm up 5 pounds (obviously related to the irregularity, but also lack of exercise).  And my belly is uncontained by my fat pants.  Ugh.  Oh, and my foot is sore again today.

I've started on a cold/hot cycle of compresses, so hopefully that will give me some relief.  And I'm continuing to up my magnesium dosage, but something has to give there soon...

So I know life cycles and this is just a down cycle.  But I really hope things start looking up, especially my neck/shoulder/back thing, because I'm not feeling like a very nice person right now.

I really hate being/sounding so negative!

I'm so sorry.  Hang in there.  You'll feel better soon.  Do you drink warm water?  That sometimes helps get things moving.  Prunes?  Epsom salt bath?  That would help both the constipation and pain.  Take care of yourself!  Is our snow heading your way? 

Jen - I drink the warm water, have not tried epsom salts (but maybe I should!) and prunes do nothing for me.  My system is strangely resistant to anything that should get things going.  It does not look like snow is heading out way, but temps to drop from highs of mid-60s, to low-40s in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Derek!  Hope you are well.

Last  night was crazy night, so no time to try out the hot bath.  We're considering doing karate another night, as I feel like we are just putting too much pressure on my son on Tuesdays.  He was up so late last night finishing homework.

Finally had some relief on the regularity front.  I think it is really hard for me to decipher cause and effect, as my in to out seems to be about 3 days.  And so many things impact my regularity.  I know it will sound ridiculous, but I really think this bout was caused by my lower abdominal muscles being tight from strength training.

Back is still hurting and I'm continuing on with the hot/cold compresses.  It definitely made my pain less by the end of yesterday than the day before.

The balance with the kids is tough.  I'm really enjoying fewer activities right now.  We haven't started karate.  10yo doesn't want to do it (despite being obsessed with Kickin' It) and husband isn't pushing it.  So, we just have scouts for all on Mondays and the rest of the week is so much easier. 

So glad to hear you had some relief.  I hope your back gets better soon.

• Moderators

It seems like your regularity issues started about the time you had to stop running. Maybe that's an important correlation?

I know how frustrating it is, and I'm sorry you're going through it. Things will get better, though. And I'm glad you've had some relief.

Jen - I'm glad things aren't so crazy for you.  It is so hard to decide between calmness for the kids and keeping them involved in activities.

LadyM - I think you are right or at least, the lack of running is definitely one of the pieces in my irregularity puzzle.  One of the reasons I'm trying to get more movement, as running still isn't on the table.

Day 2 of regularity, thank goodness!  Down 2 pounds also.  My poor body.

I'm still in a good amount of pain from my shoulder/back/neck.  I'm thinking about trying to make a massage appointment.  Maybe there is a knot that is constricting a nerve?  I'm just concerned that massage could make it worse instead of better.  But last night my son came in around 3:30 and I couldn't really get back to sleep after that because of the pain, so this can't continue.  Any thoughts?

A massage is a great idea!  If you go somewhere reputable and let them know about the pain, they should be able to be careful.  Have you gone to a dr?  They probably would say just way, but it might be a good first step just to make sure.

No chiro and I wouldn't even know where to start with that.  I got the name of a really good therapeutic massage therapist and I'm waiting for a call back.  I have not been to the doctor, but I'm leery of going that route.  Mostly because everything I read says, rest, ice/heat, reapply for at least two weeks.  I strongly suspect a doctor's visit would give me more of the same.  I'll try the massage and if I'm still hurting next week, I'll call the doctor.

• Moderators

Physical therapy is another option to keep in your back pocket. If you're interested in chiropractic, I'd start by checking insurance coverage and finding someone in network. Good luck! No matter what, the massage will be a good thing!

Archived