Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Derek!

I'm not feeling 100%.  It started yesterday afternoon.  My throat started tickling and then a bit of coughing, and overwhelming tiredness.  I'm still feeling off this morning, although I think I slept fairly well.  I'm really upping the ACV and hoping for the best.  I'm pretty sure it isn't the flu - no fever, no aches or chills.  Hopefully this will pass very quickly.

No news on food, other than I was pretty hungry yesterday.  I didn't have a lot of good choices.  I ended up eating oatmeal and then an old granola bar I had in my desk.  I brought in some better options in case I'm hungry again today.

I plan to get in my yoga and some weights tonight.

• Moderators

Sorry you're starting to feel the crud, Sara. That doesn't make anything easier. I admire your keeping your chin up and taking care of yourself during this slump. It WILL get better. . . . 

LadyM - I really am trying to take care of myself.

Thanks, Jen and Derek.

Still have a bit of a sore throat, cough thingy, but I think I'm feeling better today, definitely not worse.  I'll keep the ACV flowing.

Last night my husband had a dinner, so I didn't get to strength training.  But I did do my 19th straight day of yoga.  I'm feeling pretty good about that.  Unfortunately, I found time for a second glass of wine.  Onward, upward.  Tonight I am having dinner out with a friend.

Yesterday our schools all let out early, even though the snow didn't end up starting until around 5.  No big deal and my son was excited that he got a play date with a friend.  They are calling for 3-5 inches on Saturday.  My son is supposed to have his First Penance and I'm really hoping it doesn't get postponed.  My husband and I are also supposed to have a couples' massage.  I really hope that doesn't get cancelled!

Still fighting the icky germs.  I'm hoping to get in a short run today and yoga.  Also have to hit the mechanic to get tires mounted.  Fun times.

Dinner date got canceled due to us both being sickies, rescheduled for next week.  Not sure about the weather and First Penance/massages on Saturday.  Guess we'll be playing it all by ear.

Food was good yesterday, kept wine to a single, normal sized portion.  Was fairly hungry again yesterday.  Can being sick make you hungry?  Fighting off the germs?

• Moderators

Yes, sickness can make you hungry, in my experience. Such a cruel trick. I hope you get better over the weekend! Take it easy with the running and the wine if you can--your immune system will thank you!

I had a bit of a rough weekend.  I spent most of Sunday on the couch.  Very congested and not feeling myself at all.  I took Sunday off of running, but ran a couple of miles on Friday and Saturday.  I've managed to keep up my yoga streak and yesterday was Day 25. I'm starting to feel back to normal, but still not 100%.

Last night I went out for dinner with a friend.  We had thai, which was delicious.  I think I mostly made good choices, other than overeating.  I haven't done that much lately, and it didn't feel too good, which of course impacted my sleep.

So my weight is up, way up.  I'm trying not to get down.  I'm trying to be proactive and positive.  Today will be a huge water day.  In my memory, I haven't been eating that poorly, or that much.  But my weight says otherwise.  So I need to focus.  Stop the nuts and nut butter.  Stop the snacking in general (which I don't think I've been doing too much of).  Feed myself properly at meals.  Undereating to save calories for wine at night does not seem to be serving me well, at all.  Time to tamp down on the wine, feed myself when hungry and not eat when I'm not hungry.  It sounds so simple!  I know seeing it through will be less so.  I'm not saying no wine, as that seems to bring out an ugly rebel in me.  But something has to give and it is obvious that is one of the things.

My regularity has been awful, finally improving the last two days.  But the last two weeks have been really awful.  So good clean eating, cut back on the wine, try to up my exercise.  Positive, positive.

So all my yogi friends, I need some advice.  I've been doing this 30 day challenge on you tube, which has been 10-20 minutes of practice.  Something I can find time to do everyday.  I considered just restarting the 30 days, as I know I could benefit from going through them all again.  But I'm worried that boredom may set in.  I have been looking into some studios, but in the meantime, for home, can anyone recommend a series to use?  I'd like to throw in some longer practices here and there, but I really like that I was doing a bit everyday.  In case it helps, the 30 day challenge was through doyouyoga and the instructor was Erin Motz.  I really liked her, but honestly know nothing when it comes to quality.  Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Sorry you had such a lousy weekend health-wise, Sara, but it sounds like you took good care of yourself!

Here's a thought: your weight is up because you're not pooping. Yes, to nourishing yourself, drinking less wine, eating fewer nuts, and minimizing snacking, but there's clearly something else going on here. The scale isn't really giving you useful information right now. I'm here to remind you of that.

I'm thinking about trying yoga-glo, a website that offers all varieties of yoga classes online. They have a free two-week trial. My favorite yoga dvds are anything from Shiva Rea--she does what she calls a yoga matrix on her dvds in which you get to pick and choose different asanas/series to build your own class depending on how you feel/what you need/how much time you have. You might want to start with her dvd Daily Energy Vinyasa Flow Yoga. They're 20-minute practices. She says 20 minutes of yoga every day is better than a 90-minute class once or twice a week. I also really love Brian Kest's Power Yoga.

I hope you're back to 100% pronto!

Ditto M on Shiva Rea and Brien Kest.  I have dvds from both and they are both good.  Yogadownload.com has tons of options and I think the shorter ones are free. 

Hang in there.  I'm there with you.  I don't think that my offroading has warrented the reaction my body has had, but apparently it has so I have to just accept that it's here and figure out what I'm willing / able to do about it. 

Thanks, everyone.  LadyM - I know you are right.  There is something not right going on in my insides.  And that is causing me to gain weight no matter my eating choices.  I need to focus on getting my digestion straight, then I can worry about tweaking my eating.  Like now, even though I have been able to go to the bathroom two days in a row, I still feel backed up.  To Derek's point, that could be the Thai, but something is definitely going on...

The two DVDs are in my amazon shopping cart, I just need to press the buy button!  I'll have to check out yogadownload.com.

My bff is buying a house fairly close to me after living over an hour away (yay!).  We talked about maybe finding a yoga studio in the middle, so we could go together.  I think that would be amazing.  A way to hang out without it always being over dinner.  But that would be a once, maybe twice a week thing, so I still need to find something for home.  I'm just tossing around the thought of if I should be doing the yoga in the  morning, when I first get up...

• Moderators

Yoga first thing in the morning is the best time. Second best time is any other time of day. All of my yoga teachers have said so. It may even be in the Yoga Sutras. Do what works for you.

How wonderful that your bff is moving closer! And yes, please! Take some yoga classes. Especially as a beginner, it is infinitely helpful and ever so important to have a trained person in the room watching you to give you corrections on form. It's the best way to learn and fall in love with the practice. But you need a good instructor. Trust your gut and don't settle for anyone who doesn't really know what they're doing.

LadyM - Now all I need to do is get my butt up a little earlier, easier said than done.  A class would definitely be good as I'm often wondering if my poses are correct.

Thanks, mcjule!  I agree, I hope it all starts improving soon!

I'm continuing on with drinking tons of water.  I think maybe the thought that I'm a good water drinker means it is something I don't focus on.  So with being sick, the dry conditions inside during the winter, and my regularity issues upping the water intake can only be a good thing.  Food was normal yesterday, other than getting to lunch very late because of an impromptu meeting with my boss.  I also did an extra session of yoga last night, yay me!  Oh, and DVDs are ordered.

Yay for yoga!  I hope you like the dvds.  I have trouble doing yoga at home because I get distracted.  Last time I tried, I ended up stopping the dvd and touching up the paint on the wall in front of me.  LOL  That probably means I need to do it at home more often to train my monkey brain. 

I also think that more water can only be a good thing.  Especially this time of year.  I bought myself a new, quieter, humidifier to run at night because I was so dry! 

31 days and counting for yoga!  My W30 seemed much longer than my yoga challenge.  ;)   I'm going to keep going with the daily yoga, I think it is a good thing.

I've really been upping my water and have been concentrating on my regularity.  I know that is my main issue with my weight and everything else.  Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out the magic bullet that will keep me regular, but I'm working on it, but in a calm and thoughtful manner.

Schools were closed yesterday due to snow/ice.  I worked from home, which was nice.  I got in a few runs over the weekend, I'm still working on building up my mileage.  I'm hoping to do a 7 miler this upcoming weekend.  Food is fine and I'm not making any major changes, other than tweaking things to see how they impact my regularity.  I did do three days of kale and eggs, with the Jen approved method.  I must say, I am enjoying the combo much more than I enjoy either item separately.  Back to my egg muffins which are much more convenient for work eating.

• Moderators

Congrats on making yoga a daily practice--that's huge!

Digestion and elimination are something that need constant attention in my experience. You're not alone in this! My latest thing is drinking a cup of hot water with half a lemon squeezed into it first thing in the morning. It has oodles of benefits according to ayurveda, not the least of which is helping you "go".

Hi Sara! Glad to see you're still here. Daily yoga has been a long-time goal of mine. 20  mins daily being better than 90 mins once a week makes total sense.

Right now I'm working on daily meditation but daily yoga AND meditation would be killer. (If maybe also requiring a staff. Or at least a full eight hours of sleep and an early pre-kids wake up. Another goal of mine.) 

Can you tell me about Jen's kale and eggs method? I was actually just thinking "Jen's kale and eggs" this morning and wondering how she makes hers. It sounds so creamy and comforting. 

Beets!  - So good to see you.  I think LadyM conjured you back up.   ;)

Definitely one daily practice at a time!

Jen should correct me if I'm wrong, but what I did was cooked the kale (basically steamed it in a pan with a lid, seasoned with S&P), then pushed the cooked kale to the side of the pan and cooked scrambled eggs in the same pan and then mixed it all together, plate and voila!

• Moderators

Sara, it doesn't really work for me, either, but I keep doing it knowing the many benefits. Plus, maybe one day it will work! Full disclosure: I only started back up with it this morning. I forget unless I leave a lemon on the counter.

Beets, I adapted Jen's kale and eggs method because I prefer runny yolks. I finely chop the kale, steam it in a covered frying pan with chicken broth until nearly done, then drop my raw eggs on top and steam them until done. Sometimes I add a little cocoamigos and fish sauce; other times I just sprinkle nomnom magic mushroom powder on top and serve with a side of cultured carrots. This is my happiest breakfast inspired by Jen's kale and eggs.

This is making me want to go back to eating kale and eggs.  I have no time in the morning so I just do hard-boiled eggs now. I tried cooking up kale beforehand and then eating it throughout the week but it never tasted so good reheated.  

Daily yoga sounds like I dream.  I aim for two classes a week but I have yoga DVDs that are gathering dust . . . I should make it a new years resolution to pull those out and try to add in another session or two.  But like Beets I'm way too sleep deprived!!

LOL!  Have to laugh about the kale and eggs.  It's my favorite meal.  I like dryer eggs, so I actually start them first.  When they're set a bit, I push them over, add the kale and a bit of water, put on the lid and steam for a bit.  I add s&p, remove the eggs and then turn the burner up higher to steam off the rest of the water and finish off the kale.  Then I plate that next to the eggs.

Mcjule - If I have to make my breakfasts ahead, I like HB eggs and massaged raw kale.  I don't like reheated cooked kale, either. 

Archived