Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Moderators

Maybe you need a post wo meal after cage that includes lean protein and some starchy veg? Don't want to lose any muscle! That's how I think of it. If I get in some lean protein quickly enough, I get to keep the new muscle I'm working so hard to build. . . . 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LadyM - I think I do need to do that.  I didn't do any prep this past weekend, so my choices were really limited (as in non-existent).  Picked up some turkey, chicken, and fish so I have some good lean protein options.

Skipped running last night and instead did a half hour of yoga.  Cage on tap for tonight, with yoga squeezed in somewhere.

No complaining from my son this morning, but he refused to drink the smoothie I made him.  It was strawberries, raspberries and yogurt, and he said it was awful.  How could that be awful???  Ugh, I was really frustrated.  The doctor wants him to eat more fiber, but the kid doesn't eat much and it is hard to get it in.

Maybe you can try the one from PaleOmg . It looks ridiculously good. Also, do you think you can get him involved in the smoothie making? Let him pick ingredients himself or look for the recipes online together? 

Why would anyone call a fitness club a Cage. It cracks me up every time I read about it. 

Nadia - Thanks for the suggestion.  And just to clarify, Cage Fitness is what the workout is called: http://cagefitness.com/  I actually do it at my son's martial arts studio.  It is called Cage Fitness because the guy that is marketing it is a big MMA guy, and they fight in the cage.  But I agree, it does sound funny.

I'll have to buy some new ingredients for smoothies.  I just hate throwing away perfectly good food, because it isn't matched perfectly to my son's taste.  And I don't want it, smoothies just aren't my thing.  I think my biggest issue with my son is that he just doesn't eat very much, so trying to get in the fiber is really tough.  I thought the smoothie was a short cut, but maybe not so much.

Yoga Day 122 (5/6) Cage was good last night and I got in my yoga at my parents' before class.  Tonight I'm going to an actual yoga class, so I'm really excited about that.  It is a true beginner's class, so that should be good for me and working on my form.

I'm playing around with my eating again, trying to bring in more carbs, maybe taking the greek yogurt out.  I just feel sweeted out.  I'm also trying to cut back on apple chips.  I thought they were a good crunchy substitute for chips, and they are, but they can still be a food without brakes if I'm not careful, and again, very sweet.  I did eat some lean protein last night after Cage, so it will be interesting to see if that helps my hunger levels today.

• Moderators

Hope the protein helps and that the yoga class is wonderful.

A thought: if your son doesn't eat much, then doesn't it make sense that he doesn't poop much?

Oh wow, do you have a 25lb dummy at your house then? I could use one today for the stress relief :D 

I know you hate wasting food, but maybe you can still get him involved in picking what to make out of what you have. Maybe if you explain how the tummy works (youtube?) he will understand why veggies/fruits are important. In any case, I am sure you are taking wonderful care o him. 

Nadia - Oh, no 25 pound dummy at home!  But that's a good idea!  That does look yummy.  I did let him pick ingredients.  We will keep trying, I'm sure we'll find something that will work for him.

Yoga Day 124 (5/8) I had to go get some tests done this morning, so no run, but I did do yoga.  The class last night was good.  It was a beginner class, so at first it felt a little easy, but then I reminded myself it was all about what I put into it and making sure my form was good.  I got a few corrections, so that was good.

My son has a half day so I'll be leaving shortly to get him.  The weather couldn't be better here, so I'll have to get us outside.  Maybe a walk in the nature preserve...

Thanks, LadyM!  No nature walk, but the boys spent hours outside, so I was happy.

Yoga Day 126 (5/11)  I was able to get in some runs this weekend, although the run yesterday was a bit of a drag, very muggy.  Celebrated Mothers Day with the ILs on Saturday and my parents yesterday.  It was a good weekend, but it blew by.  Eating was fine, it helped that I made the meal on Saturday.

Cage is up tonight.  My husband goes out of town tomorrow for the rest of the week, home for the weekend and then out of town again next week.  That will make for a busy couple of weeks for me.  Tomorrow is also my son's field trip to the Franklin Institute in Philly.  I'm going, so I already have some snacks packed and will throw in a couple of larabars.  Hoping I can find something somewhat reasonable to eat at the cafe.

My son is still complaining about his stomach although regularity-wise everything seems good.  We go back to the doctor on Wednesday.  I'm just worried that he is at the point where he doesn't really know what is really hurting and what is just normal.  He goes about activities normally and is fine unless we bring it to his attention, in the morning, or around eating.  I don't want to launch into too much testing or eliminations if this is more mental than anything else.  And that's what my instinct is leading me to right now...

• Moderators

Gotta trust your instincts when there are so many question marks. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Enjoy the Franklin Institute! I'll be in Philly on Friday!

LadyM - Thanks.  Back to the doctor today...  You are coming to PA at such a great time.  It is gorgeous here right now, everything so bright and full of life.  Hope that the weather holds out for your friend's event.

Yoga Day 127 (5/12)  Squeezed that in while my son was in the shower.  Great visit down to the Franklin Institute, the kids had a blast.  The bus not starting when it was time to head home was not ideal.  Fortunately, they got it started in a half hour.  Unfortunately, that 1/2 hour delay led to an extra hour sitting in traffic on a VERY hot bus.  But still worth it.  There was an exhibit called the Art of the Brick and there were all kinds of art work recreated in lego.  One "sculpture" was a full size man.  So of course my son has to get a picture of the "man's" butt.  And show it to everyone.   :rolleyes:   He talked me into a Benjamin Franklin pocket watch, better than the stuffed animal he originally wanted to get.

Back to the doctor today to discuss my son.  He had a bad morning today.  Crying, not feeling good.  I'm really starting to wonder if there is a connection with tiredness.  We'll see what she has to say...

Cage fitness today and hopefully an earlier bedtime for my son and me.

Thanks, Jen.

So we go in for a stomach issues and come out with strep throat.  The doctor said that strep can irritate the stomach.  So he's on antibiotics and we go back in two weeks.  If he is still have stomach issues (and isn't constipated), we'll start eliminations.  So he is home from school with my Mom today.  Lots of crying because he might have or might in the future get someone sick.  :blink:

So no Cage last night.  I did two small yoga practices focusing on balance and abs.  Eating was fine.

Yoga Day 132 (5/17)  It was a pretty good weekend.  I wasn't feeling 100%, so I did two short runs and some easy yoga.  Today my stomach is hurting, not sure why.

My son seemed better this morning.  We had a big talk last night about having to go to school except for a few reasons, so crying about it every morning wasn't going to change anything.  Also, I told him that we had to go get blood drawn, so that was a big distraction.

Husband is in LA, so no yoga classes this week.  But I'll be doing Cage tonight.  I also have a podiatrist appointment to deal with some of the foot issues I've been having.  Then we are off to DC Thursday evening for Memorial Day weekend, very excited for that.

Thanks, Jen.  It will be hectic.

Yoga Day 133 (5/18)  Cage was good last night, very sweaty.  Got my yoga in at my parents'.  Rush, rush, rush.  Today is grocery store and getting some stuff ready for our trip to DC. Busy, busy, busy.  I'm looking forward to the fact we are coming back from DC Sunday evening.  That will give us Monday to relax and get ready for the week.

My son was crying and complaining again this morning.  It wasn't as bad as last week, but it isn't great.  But he goes from crying to asking me a question to crying again.  I'm just not sure what to make of it.  Another doctor appointment next week.

I was very happy that the podiatrist did not bring up stopping running.  He wants to work with me, so that made me happy.  He does want me to stop consecutive days of running, so I'll have to ponder that.  I do almost all my running Friday through Sunday.  Some adjustments will have to be made.

Yoga Day 134 (5/19)

No running last night, but I did get in some yoga.  Busy evening, trying to get things under control and no husbandly help.

My son was crying again this morning, this time mostly complaining about his legs, but it ended fairly quickly.  We might have discovered part of the issue.  Apparently there have been shenanigans going on in the boys' bathroom.  One boy has been trying to push my son's (and other kids) head into the urinal or into the wall.  Also, there has been some rough housing with some of the boys pushing other kids into the walls and trying to make them lick the walls.  I'm trying not to blow this out of proportion, as I think it is mostly kids getting a bit out of control.  But my son said he doesn't want to use the bathroom and would like to go to private school (which he defines as being one child, one teacher).  So I have a call into the teacher to discuss.  Maybe that will end the stomachaches???

• Moderators

That's an upsetting revelation for sure, but it's good to have something of an explanation for his behavior. Now I hope the school takes care of it pronto!

Thanks, ladies!  I feel really good after talking to my son's teacher last evening.  She is taking the matter seriously and we talked about empowering my son to speak up for himself and also to come to the teacher right away.  It is so hard, because they are taught not to tattle and I think it is a fine line for kids to decipher what is tattling and what needs to be told.  So we are working on it and she is being proactive at school.  She said that over the course of the school year, they must have talked about bathroom behavior the equivalent of a full school day.  2nd grade boys in a bathroom is not something I would want to deal with!  We also brought in his karate instructor.  So at this point, I think my son is feeling supported and at the same time has some tools for going forward.  After a lot of complaining last night, we came up with a "deal" for this morning and it worked!  I let him stay up a little later than usual and he agreed to just get up and go to school, he could tell me his stomach hurt, but not ask to stay home.  I'm hoping the stomachaches are going to fade out, but we go back to the doctor on Wednesday in case it doesn't.  We did get his blood work back and everything was normal, thank goodness.

Jen - meant to mention this to you after seeing your post in LadyM's log.  My sister lives in Ireland and has since '96.  I've been over 6 times, including for her wedding and also when my son was two months old.  If you ever get to go, I'd be happy to give you any help and also ask my sister.  Also, if you made it to County Cork, my sister loves to have American guests!

So last night was a bit crazy, but had a long chat with my son's teacher, got him to karate, cage, and then home to get him to bed and get ready for leaving this afternoon for DC.  My husband caught an earlier flight out of LA and got home around 1am.  So between getting to bed late and getting woken up, I'm a bit tired today.  But my husband should be in a much better mood for the car ride, and I'm hoping to get some work out of him at home today.  ;)

Food was fine, I've been playing around with some different things and I think that like Nadia, the squash isn't agreeing with me, at least the butternut on a daily basis.  The beets seem good.

That's sweet, Sara!  Maybe someday I'll get there.  My family is Irish and my aunts are actually there now.  I've just never gone.  Someday!

I'm glad your son is feeling supported and that your deal worked!

Hopefully not TMI, but how does squash not agree?  Just wondering. :)

Jen - sometimes stomach pain, gassiness, and in some cases I think it is leading to more hunger instead of the less I would expect from starchy carbs.  I seem to get the same reaction from sweet potatoes.  Believe it or not, wheat doesn't bother me in this way.  So still ironing out my carbs.

Archived