Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoga Day 140 (5/25) - There were some close calls, but I got all my days in, phew!  I also got in a nice run with my sister on Sunday.  Lots of walking around over the weekend, a lot less structured working out.

We had such a wonderful weekend.  The trip down to DC was fantastic with absolutely gorgeous weather.  We took my son and my nephew to the zoo on Friday and spent about 4 hours there.  My sister had picked them up some activity books for the city, and they loved being able to hunt down the animals and check them off.  Saturday we went to the White House, which was awesome.  So glad we got to do that and we even got to see the two dogs, Bo and Sunny, out for a walk on the back lawn.  We made a brief visit to the National Museum of Natural History.  Sunday was the pool day and then we headed home that evening.  It was also the three breweries in three days weekend.  I had a beer at each and that was fun to do.  Since we were staying with vegetarians, I definitely had more grains than my norm, to no ill effect.  My only negative during the trip was ridiculously terrible allergies.  Really really bad.  And I was taking Allegra, Zyrtek and flonase.  Ridiculous.  I go to the allergist next Friday, so hopefully we can figure out a plan.  Yesterday we did a little running around (I got some new tops for working out, which I REALLY needed and I also ordered a couple of sports bras after trying on my sister's, that was way too long overdue) and then stopped over at our neighbor's pool.  Then some sitting out on the deck, enjoying the beautiful weather.

Now, back to work, although I could have used a few more days off.  Massage today, hopefully a run later after the grocery store.

Life is feeling good right now.  My weight is there in the back of my head, but it just isn't holding me back right now.  Yay!

My son has been having major behavior issues lately, crying at the drop of a hat, losing his temper, being too tired by 7pm to eat or brush his teeth or change for bed. Then he gets so worked up he doesn't fall asleep till almost 9. He had a sore throat this weekend, but it turned out to be a passing thing. I do think, though, that his eating is playing a major role. I resist lumping myself in with perhaps alarmist parents who are quick to blame everything on diet and food sensitivities, but then I look at my weepy, overwhelmed, anxious self and I feel like a fool (and bad mom) for not assuming, or forgetting, that my children will have similar reactions.

Apart from my lack of sleep and good nutrition, my bad habits have been wreaking havoc on my kids' diet, bc I've been feeding them a lot of quick easy food (which means a lot of pre-fab nuggets and pasta). Of course making a meat cake/burger can be just as quick--I just have to have the meat in the fridge. 

Also, I haven't had any allergy issues this spring. Then this weekend I felt awful. Whatever seeds were floating around were something different. I felt really sneezy and tired this weekend. 

Yay for new sports bras!! I really really need to rejuvenate my collection. Mine are mostly embarrassingly old and have been through two pregnancies, nursing, major weight shifts. Which is to say they are completely useless. 

Edit: Oops! I just read the part about the bathroom. UGH. That is terrible. I feel like every parent I know is dealing with bullying issues. Are kids worse bullies now, or did we just never tell our parents? We just acted out at home? I'm sorry. It really makes you feel powerless to protect your little ones. :(  I don't know about your school but it seems that, despite all the bullying talk, there isn't a huge ton the schools can do. Maybe just limit the number of kids in the bathroom. Hope you get some action there. 

Also, my parents just went to Ireland! The photos were completely and totally amazing. I have always wanted to go. So gorgeous and my mom could not get over how totally empty it is and how small and quiet even the cities like Cork are. 

Beets - Thanks for all your thoughts.  Food is still a possibility for my son, as his issues aren't resolving.  Ireland definitely has a quaint feel, even in the cities.  And the greens, ah, the beautiful greens!

Thanks, Jen and LadyM!

Yoga Day 0  :(   I missed yesterday.  I ended up going out to dinner with a friend and should have done it before I went.  I reminded myself to do it when I got home, but completely forgot when I started talking to my husband.  Ah well, time to start a new count.

Bad morning with my son today.  I had to yell at him to get him dressed.  Let me rephrase that: I did not have to yell, but I did.  We go back to the doctor today, but I don't want to make any major changes with school being done in two weeks.  I want to isolate being done with school from any other changes.  I'm so frustrated.  I just don't know what to do to help him.

You had an awesome streak!  Celebrate that! 

I'm so sorry that your son is still having issues.  I was hopeful that the bully issue coming out would clear it up.  It will be interesting to see if being done with school helps...

Jen - Thanks, I agree.  I'm really not sad about the streak, just right back on it.

mcjule - I can't believe the difference from DC to PA!  So awful!

Yoga Day 1 (5/27) Right back on it!

Took my son back to the doctor for follow up.  He tested positive for strep again.  They are putting him through another round of antibiotics and then will test again.  If he tests positive again, it might be that he is a carrier.  As for his stomach, I think we are all on the same page that this has a mental component.  He can go on with life and is usually very happy, until you bring it up, or until school mornings, or until he has to do something he doesn't want to do.  At this point, I think the stomach ache is self-perpetuating.  I believe his stomach hurts, but I think the worry of the stomach ache is causing the stomach ache.  We are going to continue to monitor the situation, and will go back to the doctor after school is finished.  The doctor said that he could recommend us to a gastroenterologist, but he feels like they will never stop testing until they find something.  I don't want to put my son through that, especially when my instinct is leaning me towards this being  more of a mental issue than a straight up physical issue.

Last night I did yoga and Cage, so that was good.  I'm thinking about signing up for yoga at 7 and Cage at 8:30 o n Saturday morning.  Get it all in and then go into work to do closing.  I'll feel awfully accomplished by noon if I do all that.

• Moderators

So impressed with your commitment to yoga, Sara! And I love that it's taken you into the classroom. You're a yogi now, lady!

For what it's worth, I was a kid with chronic strep throat who often suffered from stomach aches and yes, it all stopped at a certain point. I was also a kid who never wanted to go to school and the stomach issues almost always arose in mornings before school. There wasn't any bullying going on, but I was an only child who simply preferred my own imaginative space to the enforced rules and structure of school as well as the annoyance of all the other people around. I wasn't antisocial, but I was very sensitive. 

It will be interesting to see how your son's symptoms change during the summer. My stomach aches miraculously disappeared when I didn't have to wake up early and catch the bus full of mean kids to a school full of more mean kids.

Anyway, all of that turned out to be the beginnings of a well adjusted adult who ended up never leaving school and used her sensitivity and imaginative space to become a writer who also helps others become writers.

I don't know how to help you through this particular moment with your son, but maybe sharing one particular outcome of a similar scenario might ease some of the fears and frustrations. Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job parenting in troubling circumstances. Hang in there!

LadyM - I don't feel like I'm a yogi, but I am so enjoying the yoga.  The classes are good because they make me work on things like breath and slowing down my brain.  Thank you SO much for sharing your thoughts.  Your experience does make me feel a bit better and it also makes me feel a little better about feeling like this might be more emotional/mental than physical, although it is presenting as physical.  As an only child, I thought that he would always prefer to go to school, to get the social interaction.  And I do think that he enjoys that most of the time.  But I'm sure it is overwhelming.  He used to only get upset about going back to school after a long weekend or a particularly fun weekend, but I get the impression he would always rather be with us.  Today was the best Monday we've had in a while, some complaints, but no crying.  I think he knows the end is near, just a few days to go.

Yoga Day 5 (5/31)

I did make it to yoga and Cage and was finished closing by noon on Saturday.  It felt great.  Then we had a fantastic dinner out to celebrate my husband's birthday.  I got a car and we went to our favorite restaurant, a farm to table establishment.  So delicious and I was proud of myself for stopping eating before I got too full.  A great evening and we had a non-family member babysitter for my son for the time ever.  They had a great time and she lives on our street so that made getting her home very easy.

Yesterday I did a run and yoga and then we spent some time with neighbors.  I ran over to see my BF's new home.  I am so happy for her as she has really been looking forward to this, especially since she's been living at her parents' for the last couple of months.  It is a great home and I hope she is going to be very happy there.

Back to work and it is going to be hectic as I need to get almost a month's worth of work in two weeks, since I leave next week for Ireland.  Can't believe it is almost here!

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend full of fun and friends and family.  Perfect!  And it sounds like you're in a good place with your son's issues.  I hope summer eases them all, if only to ease your mind.

Thanks, Jen and LadyM!  LadyM, you are more than welcome to tuck away!

Yoga Day 6 (6/1) Cage was good last night.  I tried something new this morning.  I got up at 4:30 and ran 3 miles.  I was really hoping to get in at least 4, but got started 10 minutes late because my husband's timing was off because he had to leave for MA early this morning (yes, traveling again!).  Mornings are not easy for me, and I almost didn't get up.  At least the run is completed for the day and I don't have to feel guilty this evening to either skip it or run instead of spending time with my son.

I'm still playing around with my food, trying to figure out how to be satisfied without breaking the calorie bank...

Oh, Jen, you have to check this out (I saw it and immediately thought of you and the other plankers like Nadia):  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/05/31/marine-holds-plank-breaks-guiness-world-record/28261681/   :o

• Moderators

I'm still playing around with my food, trying to figure out how to be satisfied without breaking the calorie bank...

This is the work for all of us it seems. . . . 

Congrats on the early morning run! I'll be curious to see how you feel by tonight.

Jen, at the rate we are going (slacking) we will do this in 23746382476 years. Haha good reminder, thanks Sara. 

So glad to read that you are doing great and looking forward to reading all about your trip when you get back.  

My planks in cage have been oh so sad.  She always has us do them at the end of our ab work, when my abs are already toast.  I guess I can jump on the planking band wagon too.  But 5 hours, oh my!  :o  :wacko:  :blink:

LadyM - I was pretty tired by 8pm.  Unfortunately, I did not take that as my cue to go to bed early and still went to  bed at the normal time, around 10.  Feeling it a little this morning.  I want to try to get up again tomorrow, so I'll try to get myself to bed by 9 tonight...

Yoga Day 7 (6/2)  Cage tonight.  Totally didn't do plank last night.  :mellow:

Let's get this day started!

• Moderators

Shifting your sleep schedule takes a little bit of time. You'll get there! And yes, I support going to bed when you're tired, even if it seems crazy early. It's especially tough during summer, when you're going to bed when it's still daylight out. . . . but it's totally worth it!

• Moderators

LadyM - In this case, I would have been going to bed before my son!   :blink:   That's not happening.  ;)

Having to coordinate your sleep schedule with someone else's definitely complicated matters!

Archived