Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

My kids prefer me to go to bed before them because then they can stay up as late as they want. :rolleyes:   Now that it's just about summer vacation, that may happen more than I'd like.  Bedtime is the best time!  No plank here, either.  I remembered during yoga class but forgot by the time I got home.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jen - since my son still has to get up with me to go to my Mom's, he can't stay up as late as he would like, although I would consider that if he was able to sleep in as late as needed.  On another summer note, I'm trying an experiment.  It is a no Electronics Until List.  He has to complete this list before any screen time, but then would be allowed as much as he wants.  The list includes reading time, math time, chore time, outside (and/or creative) time, and journal-ing time.  I'm not 100% sold, but I am considering it to avoid my Mom being stuck in an endless cycle of enforcing screen time and the "I'm bored" complaining.  (I got the idea from a Hands Free Mama post.)

Yeah, my kids don't have to get up but 10yo will make us all pay if he doesn't get enough sleep, so it's unlikely I will let him stay up past me.  I'll probably let up on 13yo a bit, though.  My kids have always had pretty strict bedtimes. 

I like the No Electrics Until... idea.  Great idea.  One of our rules is that you have to ask "do you need help with anything" before you ask "can I do technology".  You could add that to the end of the list.  :)  We actually don't allow any technology during the day because we don't want the nanny to be dealing with the begging.  Similar to you with your mom.  I think your list will help a lot.  Plus, for us, we're paying the nanny a lot of money to actually do things with the kids, so we want them out biking and playing and swimming and fishing and NOT inside doing technology.  It would be different if it were Grandma.  The Non Until list is a great idea for us for evenings, though.  I'm going to think on that.  I have until Monday.  I think this weekend will likely be a free for all.

My son complains that he has the earliest bedtime in his class.  But he still struggles to wake up some days, so that bedtime remains in effect for the school year.

I really like that "do you need help with anything" idea also.  I think a one weekend free for all is fine, it is the summer.  My hope is that by encouraging all these other activities pre-electronics, it will get him into something that might take over for the day in lieu of electronics (or at least a major portion of the day).  Also, that having control of the access may reduce the intense focus on electronics, but I may be kidding myself here.

Catching up. My daughter's coop's moms (weird grammar) got me into their plank challenge. The other day we all got down on the squishy surface on the playground. Made me laugh. Plus they have been doing it for longer and can hold much longer than me. But it's good to have a group.

The electronics! Grr. I end up taking away screen time most days bc of behavior issues but really I end up punishing myself. Last year I decided no more screens in the car. Mostly it's good but it makes a ride home from NH in rain and traffic very long.

Last year I decided no more screens in the car. Mostly it's good but it makes a ride home from NH in rain and traffic very long.

Makes you wonder how we/our parents survived doesn't it? We lived on Long Island until I was 15 and both sets of grandparents were in Vermont. We regularly made that car trip with nothing to entertain ourselves except books, singing, and hitting each other.  :rolleyes: 3 kids in the back seat of a sedan too. Times sure have changed.

Beets - Wow, no screens in the car.  For long trips, we allow them.  He usually ends up doing a combo of screens, reading, looking out the window, etc.  Bethany - I remember those days as well, except there were 5 of us, I was usually sandwiched between my parents in the front and my little sister was on a lawn chair in the way back of the station wagon!  :o

Yoga Day 8 (6/3)  Got to Cage.  Busy night and I did not get to bed early.  Which made for a rude awakening at 4:30.  I turned off the alarm, reset it for 5:30 and then got up anyway.  I ran 3.5 this morning.  I'm glad I did it, but I don't know if is sustainable.  4:30 is SO early.  I'm feeling a little creaky this morning, I think that is Cage, which is good.  Working different muscles.  I mentioned this in M's log (definitely TMI), but regularity is strange, every day is a thing, but I'm wondering if my antihistamines (which I'm off for allergy testing tomorrow) were adding to my constipation issues.

My son seems to be doing better as school is fading away.  He still complains here and there, but no major breakdowns in the morning in awhile.  He has half days today and tomorrow and school until 10:30 on Monday.  :wacko:

No plank again!  Tonight should be a less crazy night, so hopefully I'll remember.

We don't do screens in the car except for long trips.  That is for our sanity.  And, I have no idea how our parents dealt with us in the car on long trips.  Lots of fighting in the back seat, for sure. 

On the antihistamines, did you google it?  Sleep issues wasn't on the side effect list for the asthma meds I was put on last fall, but after a month of waking up EVERY SINGLE DAY in the wee hours of the morning, I googled it and found tons of anecdotal posts about insomnia with that drug.  And, sure enough, when I stopped taking it, I went back to sleeping until a normal time.  So, it's possible that the meds are causing your regularity issues.  Or, it could just be a coincidence.  <_<

Weird with the half days and partial days.  My kids are done today.  They are SO excited! 

Don't sacrifice too much sleep for that early morning run Sara. I exercise on too little sleep because it is my job...but I wouldn't if I didn't have to. Well...I'd do it less at any rate.  :ph34r: I had trouble falling asleep again last night and its going to be hard today.

Glad your son is doing better now that school is coming to a close. School related anxiety is the worst. Hopefully it will be better next year. 

• Moderators

I don't know how you folks who don't get enough sleep function, let alone workout!

Ugh. Digestion and elimination is such a mystery. I'm back on coffee to help with mine, and I'm not feeling great about that. There's always something to feel slightly guilty about, isn't there?

What if we did a No-Guilt challenge? That sounds more fun than planks to me. ;)

Jen - I googled it and when I did, I remembered I had googled it before.  Yes, definitely causes constipation and I'm seeing the opposite after being off for a week.  Yay for summer vacation for the kids, hope they have a blast.

Bethany - Definitely have to weigh the benefits of getting up vs. not getting up.  Maybe just get up one day?

M - It isn't easy!  A No-Guilt challenge would be excellent, but I think I would perform as badly as I have been on the plank challenge, forgot again last night.

Yoga Day 9 (6/4)  Trying to decide if I want to run tomorrow or if I want to do my Yoga/Cage combo again...

So I had allergy testing this morning.  I'm shocked by the results.  No seasonal allergies came up - no tree pollen, no ragweed.  A few molds were borderline.  Tested positive for cats/dogs and dust mites.  I thought my seasonal allergies were really bad, but maybe it is mostly dust mites?  Not sure, but still shocked.  As a kid I was very allergic to molds, tree pollens, ragweed, etc.

• Moderators

I think allergies are things that shift and change with time. We grow out of them and develop them all the time. Yet another mystery of the body. . . . 

LadyM - I agree, but I'm surprised that I showed no seasonal allergies, since my sinuses seem to disagree.

Yoga Day 0 (6/7)  I may have packed a little too much into the weekend before going away!  Yesterday we were out of the house from 10am until 9pm.  I should have done yoga first thing, and then I just didn't remember it when we got home as things were crazy trying to get my son to bed and everything ready for a Monday.  Ah well.

It was a good weekend, just very busy with working Friday, karate Friday, Yoga/Cage and my SIL's 40th bday party (folding laundry at 9pm) on Saturday and then my Dad's birthday party and a dance recital yesterday.  And I'm not close to being packed.  :o   It is going to be a busy week.  Food was eh this weekend, but no stomach issues.

Jen - Definitely some stress with packing and getting ready.  Also trying to have things be organized so my family is in good shape when I'm gone.  I'm more of the details person when it comes to our family, so it makes me a little nervous (nervous is too strong, hesitant?) about leaving.

Bethany - I guess I can rest on the plane!  :)

Yoga Day 1 (6/8)  I did yoga and cage last night.  Crazy thunderstorms.  Our power kept flickering and it was making our doorbell ring, very strange.  <_<

Tonight is my night to get organized and mostly packed.  I'll feel better after that.  I've started some random piles that I'll need to go through, consolidate and add missing pieces.  Can't believe this trip is almost here!

Jen - Definitely some stress with packing and getting ready.  Also trying to have things be organized so my family is in good shape when I'm gone.  I'm more of the details person when it comes to our family, so it makes me a little nervous (nervous is too strong, hesitant?) about leaving.

Me, too!  But, you know they'll be fine and it's good for them to manage without you occasionally.  At least that's what I tell myself. :D

Jen - I know they will be fine, I just like to have something to worry about.  :rolleyes:

Yoga Day 2 (6/9)  Got in yoga, but no run.  But it was worth it, because I did most of my packing.  And figured out I can take all the stuff my parents are shipping over for the grandkids.  I feel like I must be forgetting stuff, but I have a good list and if I forgot stuff, I can always buy it.  I have an extra set of contacts, glasses and my prescriptions packed, things it would be difficult to replace.  Starting to get excited now...

Tonight I'll do yoga and Cage.  I'm working in the morning and will get home around noon.  I have a car picking me up at 1pm, since I hate to ask anyone to drive me to JFK anytime close to rush hour.

Food-wise, I'm planning to eat a good breakfast at work and then get something in the three hours I'll be hanging out at the airport.  I'm hoping to be able to get a nice salad with some protein.  I have some larabars for the flight and might try to pick up some veggies at the airport.  I'm  hoping to sleep on the plane, but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a fabulous, fantastic trip!  The weather was surprisingly gorgeous - low 70s mostly and some cloudy, some sunny weather.  It only rained the day I arrived and the day I left.  Shocking for Ireland.

We didn't do much sightseeing, as I have done all of that (the next time we go as a family, we'll take my son to all the touristy spots).  But we went for a family walk in the woods, a trip to Garryvoe (beach), and two trips to Cork City.  But I also went for a long walk with one of nieces, for a run with my nephew, threw a ball with my other niece for a half hour.  Attended three yoga classes that my sister instructed.  Graduation mass, tea, and then a lunch for my niece.  Lots of drop offs and pick ups at school.  Every other nightly visits to the local pub (The Thatch).  Time sitting in the garden soaking up some sun.  Silly time on the couch with my nieces watching bad TV.  Getting to be a part of their regular existence.  Talks, talks, and more talks with my sister.  Coffee and tea consumed in large quantities.  Also lots of Murphy's.  I ate what I wanted (including lots of bread) and really to no ill effect.  Slept like the dead at night, except my last night, which is to be expected, I guess.

I had regularity issues which I blame mostly on difference in water, timing, and less veggies than usual.  However, surprisingly, I didn't feel badly.  I'll put that up to going into the trip without any real issues.  Things seem to be back to normal already (fingers crossed).

I'm a bit tired, but the return home is always easier jet lag-wise.  And I came home to a clean house with freshly washed sheets and towels.  And a son who couldn't stop hugging me.  :wub:

I was so sad to leave, but so happy to come home to my boys.  Definitely conflicting emotions.  ;)   And I can't believe how the time flew by...

Now if I were Nadia, I'd have some fabulous pictures, but alas...  Will try to check in with you all and catch up over the next couple of days.  I'm also behind at work...

Archived