Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

Nadia - You made me curious and I went back in my journal and found this "Okay, so all in all grains (gluten and non) were definitely bloating and made me feel really full and/or really full and hungry.   :o   Yesterday I definitely didn't feel good on the oatmeal, my staple work breakfast for years.  Unbelievable.  I decided not to do a M3 reintro of non-gluten grains, because I had enough evidence already."

But I ate a good amount of gluten in Ireland and didn't feel bloated or hangry at all.  And I'm surprised about not feeling bloated despite regularity issues (which could be from the gluten, but I haven't noticed that at home when I have gluten) and AF. I really don't think I'm sensitive to gluten.  I think I was very low carb at the end of my W30 and it was increasing my carbs that made me feel off.  Now that my carbs are a bit higher, I don't get that bloated feeling.

Jen - You know it!  :D 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Thrilled you had such a terrific trip. Sounds perfect, really.

I always get a little backed up when I travel. And I think the food quality in Ireland is better overall than it is here. Grains aren't GMO, dairy is pasteurized differently, the earth isn't over-farmed so nutrients are higher, etc. So glad you did as you pleased and had no real ill effects!

Welcome back!

Thanks, LadyM!

I had an unexpected evening off yesterday, as Karate was a special Father's Day with dads participating.  So I got grocery shopping done and a little yard work.  Today I need to get a little more back on track with eating and exercise.  Hopefully either a walk or run today, and right back on my yoga streak.

Feeling pretty good today, still a bit tired.  It probably would have been good to get to bed a little earlier last night, ah well.  I was happy to see this morning that my weight isn't really up after my vacation.  The Nadia Effect;)   I think just not being stuck at my desk all day helps on vacation.

Getting caught up at work and at home.  By the end of this weekend, I should be all sorted.

Yoga Day 1 (6/23) - Finally got back on some yoga.  I also did a 5 mile run.  All good.  Today is yoga and Cage.

I had BAD reflux yesterday.  I'm not sure where that came from.  TOM, so maybe from that?  Feeling fine now, so hopefully it was just an aberration.

Looking forward to Friday, my first day home with my son for summer vacation.

• Moderators

You know, I think that's so true, that not being stuck behind a desk and moving around more throughout the day makes a bigger difference than we realize.

How nice to have a full day with your son Friday. Enjoy!

Yoga Day 2 (6/24)  Cage was good, hard.  I didn't do any of that kind of activity while I was away.  I also made an effort to get up and go out for a couple of walks (maybe 10 minutes) during work yesterday.  Nothing strenuous, just moving and not sitting for a bit.

Tonight I'm meeting up with a friend from high school who moved back to the area a couple of years ago, but I didn't know.  I happened to run into her at the grocery store.  So it should be a lot of fun to catch up.

I had a great weekend, starting with a fun evening catching up with an old friend on Thursday.  I spent a lot of time getting ready for my son's birthday party which is this upcoming Saturday.  Busy week with a couple of doctor appointments, end of month, a baby shower, and continuing get ready for the party.

I have missed a couple days here and there with yoga.  I'm trying to decide if I want to commit to streaking again.  I'll see if I can string a week together and then decide.  I've gotten in every day as of Friday, including a great early morning Saturday class.

I'm excited for two of my sisters and their families to come up, starting on Thursday.  :D

Glad you had a fun weekend!  When I fall off a streak, I have such a hard time getting back on it.  Like the plank thing.  After I was sick, I just never started again.  I just can't get myself to really care about doing it just to do it anymore. 

• Moderators

I think streaks are useful for establishing habits, but habits don't have to be daily. Sometimes figuring out how to ease up on the rigidity while still maintaining a practice is the most important work we can do, IMHO. That's post-W30 life, isn't it?

So much fun and activity for you! Summer so far has been all about fun, travel, reunion for me, too. I say bring it on and enjoy!

Jen and LadyM - I agree with both of you.  I'm just not feeling like I need to streak the yoga right now.  Yoga is now a part of my life and it isn't going anywhere, even if I miss a day here or there.  It is definitely something I still do most days.

LadyM - I am SO enjoying this summer so far.  Fun, travel, reunion - yup, that sums it up.

I was not feeling well yesterday.  Stomach pains most of the day and serious tightness/stiffness in my lower back and neck.  Fuzzy/achy head and overall achiness. Decided to nip that in the bud and went to bed at 8pm.  Even though I had trouble falling asleep, I think it was a good move as I'm feeling much better today.

End of month so it will be a late night for me at work.

After a crazy storm at work yesterday afternoon, we lost power at work.  I was unable to do closing and had to get it done first thing this morning.  I feel good that it is now done and people can get back to work (that was a little stressful!).

But, because I couldn't work last night, I got to yoga.  It was an ashtanga class.  I really enjoyed it.  And I did my first (supported) hand stand!  :)

Forgot to mention that my podiatrist x-rayed my sore foot.  My sesamoids in my right foot are in pieces.  I could have been born this way or I could have broken them through running.  No way to really know.  He wants me to continue with lower mileage on non-consecutive days.  I'm not sure how I can do marathon training like this...

Hoping to get a run in this evening after my allergist appointment.  I'm interested to see what he has to say about my seasonal allergies that my tests say I don't have.

• Moderators

Congrats on the hand stand! So glad you got yoga instead of work last night.

Sorry about the sesamoids. Is there anything to be done to help them heal?

LadyM - Thanks!  It sounds like rest, nsaids, and non-consecutive is what is currently being prescribed.  I guess if the pain was bad enough, they could do a shot, but I don't really want that.  I ran on the canal last night, another recommendation to get off the asphalt.

Got in a 4 miler last night.  Things were crazy and messed up because of my botched closing on the 30th.  Hopefully I have most of that resolved.  Short day today, so I'm looking forward to that.  And one of my sisters arrives today and I convinced her to go to yoga with me.  :D

Happy 4th to all!

So sorry about your foot!  Take it easy!

Congrats on the handstand!  I still can't kick myself up into one without a spotter.  Too chicken.  Headstand and pincha are going well, but no handstands.  Ever since I fell on my head, I'm too scared.  I'm ok with that. :)

Happy 4th!

I am definitely no handstand pro, but I was excited to be able to hold myself up there, even though I was supported.

We had a great 4th and a great 9 year old birthday party (although he doesn't turn 9 until tomorrow).  The weather ended up being a little sketchy, but we were able to keep the wild pack of boys outside most of the time, which was a plus for me.

I got in a run with my sister and her wife on Friday.  Not a whole lot of "exercise" the rest of the weekend, but I was on my feet pretty much all day both days, dealing with the party and then the clean up.

We did get to watch the Women's Soccer Final last night which was pretty awesome.  :D

Back to Cage tonight and I need to figure out when I'm running.

Today is my son's birthday.  :wub:   Can't believe he's 9.

Cage was hard last night, but that is to be expected after a week off.  Tonight we are going to my parents' for dinner for my son's birthday.  I may get up tomorrow in the  morning and run on the treadmill, we'll see.  So early!  :blink:

Food has been fine, my stomach has been hurting me a bit.  I'm going to add some yogurt in today and see if that helps.

• Moderators

Happy birthday to your son and cheers to you for doing such a fantastic job raising him! (I often think birthdays really should be parties for mamas :wub: ).

I'm back to "proper" exercise this week after a hiatus. We'll get back in the swing no prob!

Thanks, Ladies!  And yes, I could use a party for this Mom (or Spa day!).  But honestly, seeing his smiling face is all the party I need.

He told me this morning since it is his birthday he is going to try to be super good and not get in any trouble.  Aaawww!

M - I need to get that on the calendar ASAP!  ;)

My son enjoyed his birthday immensely and it was topped off with his favorite - chocolate cake.  I had a bite of chocolate cake and about 3 bites of cheesecake.  They were delicious bites, I very much wanted more, and was very happy that I stopped.  Hated to say goodbye to my sister and niece and nephew as they are heading back to DC today.

No real exercise yesterday, but I did manage to get out for a 10 minute walk during work.  This morning I ran 4 miles and did intervals.  Yowzer!  Everything I'm reading says that if I want to do a half on 3 days of training a week, I really need to get in some quality workouts.  So that was my first attempt.  Tonight is Cage.  I'm sure I'll be quite exhausted by the time I'm done with that.  Getting up this morning at 4:15 wasn't as painful as the last time.  I was smarter in relation to wine (as in none) and bedtime (as in earlier).

I've been breaking out like crazy and was blaming the summer.  But I think I may have had a  :o  moment.  I think it is a new shampoo I was trying.  Time to cut that out and see if it makes a difference.  I HATE when I'm this broken out, especially in the summer when I consider makeup to be in the less is more category.

Stomach has been a bit off for the last maybe week, but I'm trying to combat that with yogurt and extra flaxseed.

I hope the shampoo turns out to be the culprit!  I once was convinced I was getting arthritis at 20 yrs old because my hands were all swollen and stiff and red.  I went to the dr and it turned out it was a new shampoo! 

Also hope that you're able to get your tummy back on track.

Archived