Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running a little tired this morning.  Staying up too late, I need to cut that out on Sunday nights.  I also need to realize I'm no longer on vacation.  AF and not being careful has led to me being up a few pounds, I'm really seeing it in the fit of my pants.  But now that I'm noticing the weight gain, I think it will be easier to rein in the eating. I'm not stressed about it, so that's good.

Yes, the half will be here before I know it and I really need to get in some longer runs.  My husband is trying to do long hikes on the weekends, so we are having a tough time ironing out when it works for us both to work out.  It is hot, so we both want to get out first thing in the morning, but can't leave the 9 year old on his own for a couple of hours.  This weekend I did my long-ish run on the treadmill, but I really don't want to do a 10 miler on the treadmill.  I'm sure we'll work it out.

Had a good weekend including yoga and then dinner at the ILs on Saturday, lunch with a friend and then nieces for a sleepover yesterday. 

Cage tonight, will probably get up early and run tomorrow.

I feel like I had a better eating day yesterday, although my stomach was very off.  Continued calm eating today.

I did Cage last night, but no run this morning.  I think I will be running tomorrow.  My husband had a meeting regarding an upcoming trip to CO and it ran really late.  So he changed the alarm this morning.  I was fine with that.  I still didn't get to bed at a reasonable hour, I will try for that again tonight.

Thanks, M!

I got in a good 5 miler this morning.  But, holy heck, 4 am is early.

No Cage tonight, it is board breaking night, so that should be fun.  I think I've decided to get up early on Sunday (ugh!) and beat the heat.  If I'm out by 6, I can be home by 8 and my husband should be able to be back around 10:30.  We'll see how that goes.

Eating is still going better than it was, less snacking, more aware.

• Moderators

That sounds like a good plan for Sunday. I hope it works out well for everyone.

And hooray for being "more aware." Always bringing ourselves back to awareness is balance--in every area of life.

LadyM - Balance, balance, balance!

I got up at 6 to do  my 10-miler and that seemed to work out well.  I hate getting up early, but it was nice to have the long run done early.  When I got home, I still felt great, like I could have done more.  About two hours later I was napping!  Ha!  A bit sore today, but that's fine.  Cage tonight.

I'm still being more aware with my eating.  Of course, yesterday was an eat all the things kind of day after the long run.  I can't even imagine how much food I would want to eat if I was doing really long runs!

I also got to yoga on Saturday and my friend joined me, which was great.

Last week of summer vacation!

• Moderators

Ouchie. I hope that helps. 

I gained weight when I trained for and ran a marathon in 2005. My body definitely needs to rest and not overdo it for best results. And to quell the eating monster that barely lies dormant most of the time!

LadyM - I am definitely battling the eating monster.  My mind really wants to believe that I can eat unlimitedly because I did one 10 miler.   :rolleyes:   Need to get that in check quickly.  Weight is up...

Back to Cage tonight.  Workout plan is 8 miler on Friday, Yoga/Cage Saturday, and 7-8 miler on Sunday.

My eating at work has been fine, it has been at home.  So I need to be aware.

• Moderators

LadyM - I am definitely battling the eating monster.  My mind really wants to believe that I can eat unlimitedly because I did one 10 miler.   :rolleyes:   Need to get that in check quickly.  Weight is up...

IMHE, this is likely two separate things: 1, the psychological game; and 2, the reality that when you exert the energy it requires to run ten miles, your body actually needs you to put it back. Sometimes the combo means you do both and put back more than you exerted. 

I also think long runs temporarily increase inflammation in the body and that likely has something to do with the scale being up.

I hope you can relax a little and find what works best for you through the training process!

M - Thanks for always bringing some sanity to me.  I am often too quick to jump to conclusions.

I agree with the increased inflammation and that impacting the scale.  Now I just need to find some balance between the running and the eating.  ;)

Oh, and the foot continues to feel good.  I really didn't want to do the shot, but in the end, maybe it was a good thing.  Time will tell.

Good weekend.  6 miler on Friday, Yoga and Cage Saturday, and 8.5 yesterday morning.  My breathing was a little off yesterday, but I'm going to blame that on muggy weather.

First day of school.  Got my son off with no stomach issues, so I hope that continues.  New karate schedule also in effect starting today, so we'll see how this all pans out.

Eating was fine, nothing exciting.  Weight is back to high end of normal.

Good long weekend.  8 miler Friday, Yoga and a hike on Saturday, and a 12 miler yesterday.  I'm a bit sore today.  :)

Food was fine.  Had a beer yesterday, haven't had one in awhile.  My eating was strange yesterday.  I thought I would be ravenous, but every time I ate, I felt full really quickly and not great.  I'm sure I'll make up for that today.

Went into NYC on Sunday to visit our friend at Sloan Kettering.  He had surgery to remove tumors from his liver.  He was in a lot of pain, which was hard to see.  But the surgeon seemed hopeful that there might be hope, so that was good news.  Up to now, they have just been trying to get him to a hopeful place.

My husband leaves tomorrow for CO, so I will be on single mother duty, with an unhappy son.  We have a trip to DC planned for the weekend, so that should help.

Back to school is going well.  No stomach issues so far, which makes me really happy.  They are letting him bring a water bottle for his desk after having to go to the nurse on the second day of school for headaches.  Why don't they let all kids have a water bottle at their desk?

Board breaking was fantastic!  This time he was more realistic on the big board break and was able to break three at once, instead of last time where he took up four boards and was only able to break them one at a time.  They also did a cool turning foot break and a fun two board break - elbow break into a punch break.  (Obviously I have no idea of the technical names for any of these. :P )  He also moved from Purple Belt to Red Belt (only Red, Brown, Candidate left until Black!  :o ).

Thanks for asking, Jen!

Major tear-fest this morning.  Luckily my husband was handling morning duties, since his flight doesn't leave until this evening.  Hopefully my son will have adjusted by the time I pick him up from school.  Nothing on the calendar tonight, so hopefully that will give my son some space.

After two days of no real hunger, I finally got hungry at about 8pm last night.  :rolleyes:   Trying to stay with normal, healthy meals.  We'll see how that goes with my husband away.

5 miler done on the treadmill this morning.  My breathing is still off, but not as bad as when I was running outside.  I'm planning an 8 miler for Friday, so this will be my heaviest week of my training so far.  The ball of my foot is still painless (except when I do Cage), but I'm having a bit of a flare up of PF in both feet.  Rolling away on tennis balls, hopefully that keeps things from getting too bad with my higher mileage.  I'm not sure what I want to do about Cage.  It has been bothering my foot after the shot.  I don't want to make it worse, I'll have to thing this over.  Cage also isn't as convenient with the new karate schedule, so maybe I have to try to get back on doing workouts on my own.

No tears this morning!

I did some arms and ab work last night.  Other than that, we were home early, so my son and I played some games, that was fun.  I tried to get him outside, but he said it was too wet outside - referring to the excessive humidity we are dealing with at the moment.

Husband arrived safely in CO late last night.  Snacked a little more than I should have...

Tonight will be busy, karate, meet the teacher meeting, and then home to make a cheesecake for my sister's birthday on Saturday.

We had a great time in DC.  It was a good distraction for my son and my sister and I had a great time catching up.

I am frustrated that I cannot go away for a weekend without completely messing up my digestive system.  It is so annoying and I'm now feeling bloated and irritated.  Not helped  by my decision to wear a pencil skirt because of a meeting and now I feel like a stuffed sausage.  Ugh.

Anyway... I plan to get up and run tomorrow morning so it will be an early night for me.  I NEED to make that happen.  Up too late last night.  I did get in a great 8.5 miler on Friday and almost 4 yesterday with my sister.  Running in Rock Creek park in DC is a very different experience from running at home, where I might see a few people, maybe.  The sheer number of people biking, running, walking was crazy.  My nephew and son also rode their bikes with us, so that was fun, although a little stressful as they had a tendency to ride out in front of bikers going at full speed.

My parents get back from their trip tomorrow, so things will start easing up for me.

5 miles in this morning, that always feels good.  I got to bed about a half hour later than I wanted, but I'm happy with my efforts.

Strange note - I cannot do seltzer, at least not regularly.  I was trying to sub in seltzer for a glass of wine in the evenings.  Major bloating and horrible gas (sorry TMI) after a few days that went away after stopping the seltzer for two days.  Ugh, who has a problem with seltzer!  Yeah, I know, lots of people, but I really thought that was a good sub in the evening.  Onwards...

• Moderators

Yep, seltzer gives me the burps if not worse. Kombucha is definitely my evening wine replacement. Sometimes diluted coconut water (especially when it's hot out) or diluted cranberry juice with a lime wedge does the trick, too. Good for you for trying. Keep at it! You'll find something that works and doesn't have terrible effects!

Archived