Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Moderators

I struggle with evening workouts, too, but I hear you about not wanting to arise at 4. 5 is early enough for me, thank you very much!

Praise the lord for supportive husbands. I love hearing that. I hear so much of the opposite most of the time. . . . 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LadyM - The evening workout went well, although I was tired.  I just hate missing out on family time.  But 4 is so early!  As for the husbands, I often find that I complain about mine to my friends.  I think it goes along with negatives tend to stick out out more than positives.  Also, that it often feels like bragging to talk about the positives, especially to my single friends.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, this is something I have tried to work on, because I know that focusing on the negative is not good for our marriage, even when it is just kvetching to friends.   Plus, he really is great, even if not perfect (who is!).

So last night I got in a five mile run and weights.  I was tired and felt draggy, really thought about cutting it to 4 miles, but I persevered.  I think for now I am going to aim for doing the evening workout, unless I have something at conflicts with the evening workout and then I'll get up in the morning.  Work in progress plan anyway.

Eating is still fine and I am still doing better in the evenings.  Awareness of the upcoming holidays and that trip are helping me to be calm and relaxed about it.

• Moderators

I think you're onto something about the kvetching, though I hear you on not wanting to brag. I've noticed that friends who are in really good, solid, supportive relationships tend not to say much about them at all--at least to me, their single gal pal.

Finding that sweet spot with a workout and its timing so you feel challenged and glowing afterward but not pooped is what it's about for me. Good for you for staying motivated, calm, and relaxed. What's better than that?

Good for you for staying motivated, calm, and relaxed. What's better than that?

Agreed!

Things have been a little crazy at work.  It should get back to normal today, other than catching up on some normal tasks that had to be dropped.

Weekend was really good and jam packed.  Friday was a local AHL game.  Saturday we went to the Camden Aquarium and to the Battleship NJ (very late bday present for my son) and then to my FIL's birthday party.  Sunday was getting caught up around the house.  Two runs, two weight workouts, and lots of walking on Saturday.

Food is fine and I will get in a run and weights tonight.

I'm thinking of trying out running.  I've NEVER been a runner but it seems like potentially the best way for me to get in cardio.  I used to be a gym rat pre-kids and do spinning class and other things like that but now I can't make it to the gym.  Any suggestions for a newbie?

mcjule - Yes - start slowly!   :)   I started with a C25k program (basically a run walk program where you slowly build up the amount of time you are running versus walking).  I had been walking prior to starting to run and found this to be a good transition (I still remember when running 30 seconds at a time was a challenge!  Amazing that I can now run up to 14 miles).  It also allows your muscles, joints, and bones to get used to the stress of running.  I also recommend you have a good pair of running shoes.  Other than that, I love the freedom of being able to run out my front door.  Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help you out with anything.

I got in 5 miles and weights last night, but only one walk at work.  The rainy weather will probably preclude any walks today.  But I am getting a massage today, which will be fabulous.  :D

The massage was fabulous.  But my neck/back is pretty messed up again.  Ugh.  I need to get back in sooner than a month.

Weekend was great - two runs, one weight lifting session, yoga at home Thursday and in studio on Saturday, and hiking.  Eating was eh...  I ate a whole piece of cheesecake (homemade by me) on Saturday.  I don't mind that I had some cheesecake, just wish I had stuck with my three bites and not eaten the whole piece.  I didn't feel badly, other than a little full, I just didn't need it.  But moving right along.

It will be a busy week - Wednesday I'm having my niece and nephew sleep over.  Thursday to my ILs for Tgiving and I need to make potato stuffing for that.  (Not worried about Tgiving eating, just making sure I don't eat too much.)  Then a luncheon with my family on Friday and my nephew's birthday party on Saturday.  Phew!  I'm tired already.  ;)

Jen - It is that time of year.

Yesterday was fine, only two walks at work - it is getting brisk and windy outside.

Today I have parent/teacher conference at 9:30.  My husband is going to do karate duty so I can go home and run/weights and then get tomorrow's dinner prepped.  I found a slow cooker recipe that I want to try out.  My niece and nephew are staying with us and are vegetarians, and I wanted to do something other than pizza for them.

No walks at work yesterday - I need to wear a proper coat and gloves (no bad weather, bad clothes).  But I did run and weights last night.  I also prepped today's dinner and we should walk in to a (hopefully) delicious dinner tonight.

I am having my niece and nephew stay over tonight, so that should be lots of fun for us.  Tomorrow we go to my ILs and we are taking potato stuffing, which I have to make, but it won't take long to throw together.  It will be quiet, just us, my MIL, FIL, and grandmother in law.

I'm hoping to get in at least two runs and two weight workouts over the weekend.  I should also be able to get to yoga on Saturday and maybe a hike.

Parent/teacher conference went very well, nothing negative.  And I was glad he has not been fooling around with his new glasses.  I am so thankful that my son continues to do well at school.  :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

mcjule - Yes - start slowly!   :)   I started with a C25k program (basically a run walk program where you slowly build up the amount of time you are running versus walking).  I had been walking prior to starting to run and found this to be a good transition (I still remember when running 30 seconds at a time was a challenge!  Amazing that I can now run up to 14 miles).  It also allows your muscles, joints, and bones to get used to the stress of running.  I also recommend you have a good pair of running shoes.  Other than that, I love the freedom of being able to run out my front door.  Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help you out with anything.

I got in 5 miles and weights last night, but only one walk at work.  The rainy weather will probably preclude any walks today.  But I am getting a massage today, which will be fabulous.  :D

Thank you!  I'm going to try this!

Enjoy your weekend!  I'm going for as much yoga as possible!  I made it Monday, Tuesday, today already and plan to go tonight and tomorrow morning.  Then, family and more family and no yoga.  It'll be fun, though.

So glad the conference went well.  After a not so fun year last year, I was so happy at 11yo's conference to hear that he's engaged and doing well.  The right teacher makes all the difference.

Jen - I'm so happy to hear that your son is having a better year, it is tough when they are struggling.  The right teacher makes a huge difference.

mcJule - Let me know how it goes!

I had a really fantastic long weekend.  Lots of fun family time.  A very successful sleepover with my niece and nephew.  A pretty low key Thanksgiving dinner with my ILs.  Lots of decorating yesterday.  I also ran Thursday and Saturday, a walk and weights on Friday, Yoga on Saturday, and hiking and weights yesterday.

Tonight is closing, so a late night at work for me.  I wore my winter coat today, so no excuses for not walking.

My weight is WAY up.  And it really had nothing to do with Thanksgiving eating, as I was very restrained.  I think part of the culprit is the vegetarian meal that I made that I continued to eat over the weekend.  There wasn't anything "bad" in it, but it was not my normal food.  Plus too much wine and cheese, of course.  So trying to get back into a good mental space this week, no deprivation, but time to get things in check.

• Moderators

Where are you in your cycle? I feel like I gain 10-15 pounds in the lead up to my period, though in reality it's more like 5. And then it goes with the flow, so to speak. . . . 

Glad you enjoyed your holiday, practiced restraint, and got in lots of movement!

Jen - Yes, definitely beans.

LadyM - I can't blame it on AF this time, as I'm on the other side.

Last night ended up being late at work, there was an issue, but it is finally resolved.  Phew.

Rainy here, so probably no walks, but I'll make an effort to get up and stretch my legs anyway, I can always walk through the warehouse.

mcjule - It is so crazy.  A couple days of normal food and my weight is coming back down.

Still raining here, so no walks at work.  But tonight I'll run and do weights.

Starting to feel a little anxious about accomplishing everything by Christmas...

That always happens to me.  I'm oblivious until Thanksgiving and then Bam!  I'm stressed and worried about getting everything done.  But, it always comes together.  Just have to stay sane and remember you can NOT do things.  Last year, with the kitchen being completed just over a week before Christmas, we didn't do much decorating.  We did get a tree, but I'd have been fine skipping it for that one year if the kitchen had gone any later.  We also skipped cards.  I just needed to cut back because of all of the other chaos.  We have to give ourselves permission to say no!

Jen - I remember all the craziness for you last year!  You are so right, saying no is okay.  The biggest issue for me is that I really like most of the stuff, getting the tree, decorating, sending the cards.  There are a few people on our list that are really tough to buy for, and I find that very stressful.  4 of the 5 really difficult people are done, so that's a huge relief.

I got the grocery shopping, run, and weights done last evening, phew.  I hope to get a couple of walks in today, as the rain has finally stopped.  It is a weird temperature here, high 40s, low 50s.  Too warm for a winter coat, but I'm cold in my Fall jacket.  Guess I'll just have to walk faster to warm up.

My husband and son are leaving for a quick hunting trip tomorrow.  I decided not to join them because it is going to be fast and I can't really go outside during hunting season.  It will also allow me to get a ton of stuff done while they are gone, including major cleaning and some prep cooking for the holidays.  We are going to be very busy the next few weeks with an upcoming wedding with house guests, a birthday party, a quick trip down to Richmond to see my niece in the Nutcracker, and then lots more house guests over Christmas.  So excited for tons of family time (and trying to focus on that, rather than any anxiety - no one cares if I get my baseboards washed, ha!)!

It was a good productive weekend.  I'm still not living up to where I would like to be eating/drinking.  But today is a new day to do better.

Let's see, movement - run/weights on Friday, yoga and tons of cleaning on Saturday, and run/weights on Sunday.  My Sunday run almost didn't happen because I couldn't find my inhaler.  But after much searching, I finally found it.  My yoga class on Saturday morning got canceled so I had a date with my BF Bryan.  He kicked my butt.  The Saturday morning class tends to be pretty low key and Bryan not so much.  I had to laugh at how pervy he comes off in the DVD.

So cleaning and lots of baking happened.  Christmas cards were stuffed, labeled, and go out in the mail today.  Phew.  Next weekend we get our tree, so that will be another big Christmas thing accomplished.  Just a few more presents to get.

• Moderators

You sound great! Yes, focus on quality family time is what it's all about. I absolutely loved this short article about a tradition in Denmark we could all adopt and be better for it this time of year. 

I love that Bryan K! Went to pop in my dvd yesterday and couldn't find it. I'm a lil lost without him. . . . 

I bet it feels great to get some things checked off your to do list.  I'm slowly but surely working on the same.  I did our cards while sitting in the chalet while the kids skied.  Got my fudge made and some decorations out.  We'll get our tree this weekend, too, and then I need to get wrapping.  Husband made a "joke" that there's nothing to stress over because Christmas just magically happens.  Yeah, right!

Husband made a "joke" that there's nothing to stress over because Christmas just magically happens.  Yeah, right!

Ha!  Magically happens for him, I'd say, not so much for you.  ;)

LadyM - I loved that article and the ideas in it.  I feel like that is mostly how it is when my family gets together, especially at Christmas.  Once in awhile there is some drama, but we have mostly left that behind as my siblings and I became adults.

Hair appointment tonight and karate, so no workouts.  I will try to get out for walks today, I finally just brought in my big puffy coat, because my fall coat was not cutting it.  I felt better about my eating/drinking yesterday.  Here's to another good day!

Archived