Sara's Post W30

SaraRuns

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When can I play inside, ha!

I got in my three walks yesterday, go me!  I also did about 45 minutes of yoga after folding laundry and packing.  I'm really going to try to get in those three walks today, as it is a late work night and I won't be getting any other movement.  I do have a massage at lunchtime.  Eating is fine.

Getting a little nervous about this race, as they are calling for 20-30 mph winds with gusts up to 40 mph!  :o   That could make for a challenging race.

Wow. This year has been so windy! I feel like we have a gale warning once a week. That will be tiring but I'm sure you can do it. 

Interesting you mention the Yale Lecture. Last year I almost signed up for one of the free online Harvard lit courses--think it was Emily Dickinson?--but worried it would be too much work. A lecture sounds more do-able. Gonna check that out. 

Enjoy the massage! Yum. 

66 degrees this morning!  B)

I got in my three walks yesterday, go me!  I will aim to get in three walks today, but I'm leaving early and have a lot to do, so we'll see.  Then the drive to DC.  Unfortunately I will be hitting Friday rush hour, so wish me luck!

I'm hoping the sheer number of people will help buffer the wind.  I will do my best and just try to enjoy and not worry about a PR.  I do not expect to be successful.  :P

So my weight is still trending down and I'm now in the lower part of my "normal" range.  I expect some regression this weekend between vegetarian eating and post-race celebrating.  I'm all good with that and expect to have no guilt.

The massage was delightful.  I think we are finally making real process with the PF in my left foot!

Hope the cherry blossoms are still in bloom and the race went well--as well as can be with the wind. It's madness here today--bordering on unsafe to be on the streets with everything flying around. Stay safe!

Thanks, everyone!

The race went really well.  It was cold and windy.  Really windy.  They cancelled the kids fun run and had no signage and no timing clocks up.  After we exited the metro, one of the first things we saw was a knocked over newspaper vending machine.  :blink:   We actually wanted to hang out in the port-a-potties, because it blocked the wind!  But once we got going, I warmed up and the wind wasn't too much of an issue until the last two miles.  The last two miles were right into a headwind and that was tough going.  But I still PR'd.  :)   I was very surprised and pleased.  I'm still sore today so I can tell I really pushed myself.  There were some cherry blossoms, but a lot had already turned or were blown away.

Had a great visit with my sister and her family.  

My weight is up slightly, but still in my normal range.  I'm very happy with that considering I indulged in some post race beers and yesterday was a very hungry day.  Jumping back on track today.  Aiming for three walks and a run tonight.  My husband is away, so we'll see if the run actually happens tonight and no yoga until Saturday.

Thanks, Jen.  It definitely felt good.

Only two walks yesterday, but it was surprisingly cold.  Aiming for three today!  I did get in a short run last night.  I'm a bit sore, but it felt good to get right back at it.  Tonight I'm aiming for a date with Brian or else a walk with my son.  Maybe leaning towards the walk...

Weight is back to trending down.

I got in my three walks yesterday, yay me!  Especially because it was windy and chilly.  Today is shaping up to be much warmer, but it is also supposed to rain.  I am still aiming for three walks today.  I plan to have a date with Brian tonight, since my husband is still away and I can't make it to yoga class.

I plan to run tomorrow, maybe yoga at home on Saturday (studio is closed), and run again on Sunday.  I hope we get in a hike either Saturday or Sunday as well.

Eating is fine, still trying to ramp up the vegetables when I get hungry.  I accidentally bought frozen vegetables that were in a sauce.  I'll have to be careful of that in the future.

OMG, Sara I meant to tell you that on vacation I took a morning walk every day by myself to get coffee.  The first day I decided to try to run a little (I was in work out clothes/shoes).  I ran about ten feet before I couldn't do it anymore.  SO pathetic!

• Moderators

So glad to catch up and read that things have been going so well for you. Congrats! You're making it happen. This is life. You're an inspiration. 

I miss Brian. I lost my Power Yoga dvd somewhere along the way. Enjoy your date with that hunky piece of yoga man. :wub:

Jen - Thanks!

mcjule - I think it is awesome you prioritized getting a walk everyday.  And you know, slow but steady to get back into running.

LadyM - Thanks.  :)   You may need to replace that DVD, although my second date with Brian didn't go so well...

So I did yoga with Brian on Thursday and felt REALLY good afterward.  I had some pain in the front of my hip after my race, but was feeling like things were improving.  I ran 7 miles on Friday and was still feeling okay, just a little pain.  So Saturday I made some time for Brian and did something awful to the front of my hip wrapping up and around my side into my low back.  :(   Extremely painful.  On Saturday I was pretty sure I tore something, as I couldn't even get myself out of a seated position and reaching for anything with either arm left me gasping.  By Sunday things were much better, but still painful.  I figure I pulled/irritated something, maybe my psoas?  So my running was off the table for Sunday and I didn't go hiking with my boys.  I pretty much was a couch potato.  Things are continuing to improve today, and I'm continuing with my rest approach.  I may try to get in some easy walks today, but that is it.  I really want this to heal quickly and do not want to re-injure it.  If anyone has any thoughts on what I injured, I would love to hear it.  The problem was really aggravated on the pose where you have straight legs offset and bend over your front leg with arms behind you.  Sorry if that doesn't explain it well.

So I participated in some frustration eating/drinking Saturday and Sunday.  Moving on and back on track today.  I'm not sure how long I will need to rest this injury, I hope not too long...

• Moderators

So sorry about the injury! Yes, it does sound like the psoas, that devil, and given the race and all your mileage that no doubt made for tight hamstrings it's entirely possible you injured something. Rest, rest, rest. Maybe ice. Take a look at this for some guidance.

Good luck, and be patient and kind with yourself!

Oh nooooo. You were on such a roll. These injuries are so so frustrating. Rest and try not to get down on yourself. As hard as it is, I feel like you shouldn't even walk for a couple days? Maybe just very short like you would walk in a day without exercise? (Like not complete motionlessness, as if that would be possible.)  Don't try to rush back into anything--though I so feel you in that frustration. But better to rest a bit than deal with a longer-lasting injury.

You were in such a zone you'll get right back there. 

And congrats on the PR!

Thanks, Ladies!  Rest, rest, rest!  That is what I'm doing until I'm pain free.  I only did one walk yesterday and I think minimizing movement until I'm pain free really does make sense.

LadyM - Thanks for those links!  They were really informative and give me an action plan for when I am pain free.

Beets - It is frustrating to get hurt while you are on a roll, but I'm trying to keep calm.  And I think you are right, missing a few days of activity after all the activity I have put in should allow me to ease back in.  Thanks!  I still can't believe I PR'd with all that wind!

Eating was fine yesterday.  I went to a crazy meeting at my son's school that lasted 2 1/2 hours!  :o   I was not at all prepared for the craziness that went on at that meeting.  I'm glad I went so I have a good feel for how some of the parents are feeling, how the administration is handling it, and what I can expect going forward, but just Wow!

Jen - It wasn't too serious.  Mostly people being very resistant to change and a new principal.

I'm feeling very strange with my reduced movement, a little antsy, but trying to hang in there.  I did two slow walks yesterday.  The ache is now more in my lower back than the front of my hip, but if I move certain ways, I can still feel it in my hip.  Hopefully a couple more days and I'll be pain/ache free.

Eating is fine, weather is starting to get nice, although still cold overnight.  I'm looking forward to another trip down to DC for my SIL's birthday.  It is outside and we will be camping out and so far the weather looks great.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather holds!

What a gorgeous weekend!  My SIL's party was a blast and camping out was fun.  Really, just a fantastic weekend filled with wonderful people.

My hip/back are still not great.  Not helped by lots of carrying of stuff (including my 3 year old niece) and lots of on my feet time.  I'm getting a massage today (which I upped to an hour), so we'll see if that offers any relief and if she has any comments.

Eating was all over the place with lots of beer, killer vegetarian Greek food, and some tired nut eating yesterday.  My weight is barely up, but with my slow metabolism, I expect it to continue to rise over the next couple of days.  I plan to be back on track today and have all my food packed to help with that.

Happy Boston Marathon Monday!  :)

Archived