Whole30 Compliant and Relatively Available Cold Remedies

LindaLee

I've got a dreadful cold and am starting a Whole30 tomorrow. Most colds I just suffer through with Cold Care tea, but this one has come with a nasty cough that is keeping me up at night. I've had to resort to Nyquil the last few nights just to get some sleep, but I don't want to keep that up. 

Asking for some natural cold remedies that are Whole30 compliant but effective when it comes to cough/sore throat, and don't include ingredients that would require a trip to Whole Foods (100+ miles away) to concoct. ;)

Thanks!

I had a cold recently, and although I am not in the middle of a W30, I wanted to address it as naturally as I could.  The following seemed to shorten the duration and severity of my cold and also were really cozy and comforting.

Make some homemade broth.  Throw a whole chicken in a pot with water and salt and get it boiling.  You can start drinking it within a couple of hours and just keep that chicken pot simmering and dip and sip all day.  Also sip water or coconut water and drink a kombucha.  

I had a bad head cold when I did my first W30. I did take sudafed PE during the day and at night a nighttime cold tablet that had no alcohol. I cant' remember what the name was. I think if you stick to pills instead of liquid and check the ingredients, you should be ok.

I make a tea with hot water, apple cider vineger, aloe juice and honey when I need to soothe my throat.  You could skip the honey if you're on W30. The ACV and aloe would help soothe your throat. 

For my son, I used to make thoat coat tea popcicles - the cold helped in addition to the thoat coat tea.  I usually added honey (again - skip) and some berries to make it acceptable to a toddler.  I'm not sure if Throat Coat tea is W30 or not, but you could check the ingredients.

Rub Vicks on your chest and run a humidifier at night.  That might help the cough. 

If you're stuffed up, too, try a neti pot or saline nasal spray.

Good luck!

Archived