Thanksgiving - thinking ahead

lori_vt

I feel like I'm missing something here. There is honey and molasses in that pie recipe. did you make a substitution to the recipe?

You're right, I didn't actually notice those until I went to make the pie. I must have missed them in the ingredients. I am not doing a whole30 right now, so I made it anyway...and I didn't like it. I mean, it was tasty, but it wasn't pumpkin pie. It had a LOT of spices in it, and they totally obscured the pumpkin flavor. My uncle tried some and said it reminded him of a mincemeat pie (the american version made with dry fruit and lots and lots of spices, not the kind with actual meat in it). I always loved the good old Libby's pumpkin pie and this is NOT it, which made me a little sad.

In the turkey front, I made Nomnompaleo's spatchcocked turkey, though I didn't get around to dry brining it (was too tired after work tuesday and wednesday, plus my family does not like salt, they constantly complain everything I cook is too salty.) I did make the herb butter and I did spatchcock the bird. The meat thermometer in the breast said it was done after a little less than 2 hours, however when I went to cut into the leg/thigh, red juice came out. I realized that I hadn't turned the legs like is shown in the pictures on Michelle's recipe, but left them tucked up against the breasts, which meant they hadn't cooked as thoroughly. I just cut the legs off and threw them back in the oven for another 30 minutes while we finished everything else, and the turkey was very tasty and moist regardless, but if you want to try it, make sure you turn the legs like is shown in the picture.

Sounds complicated! Glad you were able to eventually get your bird all cooked up. I did not consume any sort of pumpkin pie, or pumpkin pie look alike today. It was hard, I missed it, I am lamenting the loss of pumpkin pie tonight. But I lived to fight another day, and it was good for me.

I did not consume any sort of pumpkin pie, or pumpkin pie look alike today. It was hard, I missed it, I am lamenting the loss of pumpkin pie tonight. But I lived to fight another day, and it was good for me.

Pumpkin pie has always been my absolute all-time favorite dessert. I have done 2 successful Whole30s in the past year and am currently on day 32 of a modified Whole30. Yesterday, I had prepared myself to be strong while I passed on the pie. I was certain that I would have an overwhelming sense of deprivation and grief for the loss of this dessert. To my surprise, I wasn't bothered one bit - I wasn't bothered by it so much that I didn't notice that I didn't care until this morning!

I hope you, too, can have this experience someday. (It's incredibly liberating and worth the effort!) Happy Thanksgiving!

Pumpkin pie has always been my absolute all-time favorite dessert. I have done 2 successful Whole30s in the past year and am currently on day 32 of a modified Whole30. Yesterday, I had prepared myself to be strong while I passed on the pie. I was certain that I would have an overwhelming sense of deprivation and grief for the loss of this dessert. To my surprise, I wasn't bothered one bit - I wasn't bothered by it so much that I didn't notice that I didn't care until this morning!

I hope you, too, can have this experience someday. (It's incredibly liberating and worth the effort!) Happy Thanksgiving!

Me too sister, preaching to the choir here!!! Maybe it's just one of those things that in time will become less of an issue, OR I need to put my big girl panties on and toughen up!!! HAHA!

Archived