My first go with Whole30

Symora

Hi all,

Today I began the Whole30.  Frankly I'm feeling excited about it.  I've been prepping for a week, giving away the off-list items and getting into the mindframe.  I think it may be a suitable way to eat for me  because I love vegetables and meats, and I'm not very good at maintaining the balance with the off list items, so none may be better for me.  

I am looking forward to finding out if it will be indeed be helpful with auto-immune issues since I think I have issues there.  I have been struggling with psoriasis since May, and probably psoriasis related arthritis which has been creeping since then as well and I can hardly walk at this point.  It is really time I look closely at what I ingest I think, my body is not happy at all at the moment :(

So far so good, I have not had any urges for anything else... let's see how it goes :).

No, not for the time being, although I plan to stick pretty close to it.  I know I probably should but that leave too small a list of items to eat, for me, so I'll try the Whole30 as a beginning and see how that goes.

This is day two and although it seems too soon, I have half the pain in my knees that I did a couple of days ago.  Perhaps it is not linked, but frankly my knees have not felt this good in months.  Let's hope this is a sign of things to come!!!

So far I've eaten a banana, some mango, a few walnuts mixed together with coconut water, and a coffee with coconut oil. 

A big salad with romaine, shrimp, pomegranate, cucumber, an apple, sliced almonds, balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Then I made some almond milk from sliced almonds that I soaked last night and water, just to see if I could, and drank some of that mixed with coconut milk.

Tonight I am making a casserole with Turnip, cranberries, sweet potatoes and carrots cooked in coconut oil and some ghee.  Add some rosemary and we'll see how that turns out...  I'll eat that with some meatballs.  I'll also brown some minced meat for an omelette tomorrow morning.

and that was day 2 :-)

Hi symora

Just checking you've got a copy of the template?

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Your first meal had no protein or vegetables - smoothies are also discouraged, chewing is preferred and actually provides more satiety than drinking.

I'm not hugely knowledgable on the AIP, but think avoiding nuts may be a good idea?

Yes, I do have the template.  I've been dieting for awhile now and the morning smoothie has been working for  me to keep me satisfied for a good period.  I don't do it everyday, but I do like it as an option..  I'll take your advice though and eat it rather than whirling it. 

Otherwise the casserole tonight was great and with the meatballs it was quite satisfying.  Now I have some left for tomorrow, bonus!

Yes, I do have the template. I've been dieting for awhile now and the morning smoothie has been working for me to keep me satisfied for a good period. I don't do it everyday, but I do like it as an option.. I'll take your advice though and eat is all rather than whirling it.

Otherwise the casserole tonight was great and with the meatballs it was quite satisfying. Now I have some left for tomorrow, bonus!

Eating the ingredients is fine - as long as the protein and vegies accompany it :)

Leftovers make great breakfast!

Day three.  Got a call at 7:00 a.m. from my sister telling me mom was in the hospital.  So I tried hurriedly put a few things together to not bust Day 3.  Ate  some veggie casserole, meatballs, a banana and a coffee with coconut milk for breakfast.  A banana as well as a coffee with coconut milk I had brought to the hospital later on.

When we got her home in the afternoon I made some eggs for my sister and I, accompanied by a cucumber, some chicken breast and lettuce. 

Now it's getting late so I'm having an orange until my sister comes to replace me, and I'll eat some more meatballs and veggies for supper.  I'm anxious to get home!

So far so good with day 3

It sounds like you've done very well considering the circumstances - I hope your mum is going to be ok!

Don't forget to add your fats and have some starchy vegies - you'll need both for energy and to hopefully feel less of the symptoms most people feel during their first week or two, especially if you're trying to be there for your mum.

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I think I did well as well because it is so much tougher in environments where there are only coffee shops and vending machines.  I had quickly packed a banana and coconut milk for coffee which saved me.   I will be going to spend the afternoon and night with Mom today, so I'm going to have to plan what I bring with me.  So far I had only been in my routine this week and was not finding it too difficult.  But once you get immersed in the mainstream it does feel like swimming against the current.

I have been feeling hungry and am never quite sure about whether I should eat or not.  I think that the inclusion of more fat could help with that and I'll work on that in the next few days.  It just feels so contrary to everything we've learned about weight management that it feels odd.  I was heating the meatballs the other day and was feeling guilty somehow that I would be eating the fat in the dish.  The inclusion of fat will be a challenge I think ... but I remain committed :rolleyes:

I stayed on target with the right food on Day 4 even though I stayed overnight at my Mom's since she is ill right now.  I brought my own food managed to stay away from her foods and candies, even though I was bored with her sleeping all the time and feeling rather hungry. 

Only on day 5, yet I am amazed at the progress in the severe arthritis and inflammation I was feeling in my knees, for months now!  I hardly have any pain and I can now walk like a normal person, without a cane.  I still have some light pain when I walk, but compared to 10 days ago it is miraculous how much better I feel.  I have tried many things including physiotherapy, a physiologist, anti-inflammatories, pain killers, and nothing as helped as much as this Whole30 process.  I am frankly astounded at how quickly it has made a difference!  After the Whole30 I will have to be careful when I reintroduce food in order to determine what is the culprit in causing inflammation problems for me....

Today I am having more difficulty eating since I am tired and have been off my routine because of Mom.  So far I have only had a banana and a coffee with coconut milk, but plan to now make myself a chicken salad with oil and vinegar, then applesauce and coconut.

Had some fish for supper, with left over turnip casserole and zucchini.  Later an apple with a few raisins and almonds.

Well, already one week in and I'm not finding it too difficult, except that it's always a question of having the right foods cooked and available, which is not easy with going to the hospital every day for Mom.  I'm feeling really good and my knees are not giving me the problems they were 10 days ago, so much less painful!  It has not done much for the psoriasis as far as I can tell, but I'm hoping that will come.

Today I had 1 egg, a banana, an avocado and green beans for breakfast, with a coffee and coconut milk.

For lunch I had a tomato sauce with minced beef and vegetables (spaghetti sauce with no spaghetti), some applesauce and some unsweetened coconut.  Now I am having a nice cup of green tea and taking it easy for the afternoon.

Well, already one week in and I'm not finding it too difficult, except that it's always a question of having the right foods cooked and available, which is not easy with going to the hospital every day for Mom. I'm feeling really good and my knees are not giving me the problems they were 10 days ago, so much less painful! It has not done much for the psoriasis as far as I can tell, but I'm hoping that will come.

Today I had 1 egg, a banana, an avocado and green beans for breakfast, with a coffee and coconut milk.

For lunch I had a tomato sauce with minced beef and vegetables (spaghetti sauce with no spaghetti), some applesauce and some unsweetened coconut. Now I am having a nice cup of green tea and taking it easy for the afternoon.

Glad you're feeling some benefits and managing to stay compliant whilst you're busy with your mum - well done!

I'd suggest increasing your breakfast protein - a serve of eggs is as many as you can hold, you'll likely find that's 3-4 :)

Will do.  That has been the biggest challenge for me so far since protein is not something I have traditionally enjoyed for breakfast and lately I've been busy. 

For supper I had a nice piece of sirloin tip roast that I had slow cooked last night, sauted in olive oil with onions, a side of sweet potatoes and yummy Brussels sprouts with ghee.

Kind of a long day at the hospital and it was'nt easy to make meals....ended up a bit off target but still the right foods.

Breakfast       2 fried eggs, 1 avocado, a bit of fish, 1 banana, some mango.  Coffee with coconut milk

lunch              1 banana, 1 pear   -  later 1 coffee with coconut milk

supper            Beef roast sauted with onions, broccoli, sweet potatoes                Green tea

Today has been a quiet day, I don't have much energy.

breakfast              2 eggs, 1 banana, a bit of chicken, some sauted zucchini, some pineapple and a tomato - coffee with coconut milk & oil

Lunch                   a romaine salad with lots of shrimp, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 pomegranate, 1 avocado, shredded carrots, white balsamic and olive oil - that was so delicious!

Supper                Sauted roast beef with onions and garlic, broccoli, sweet potato, a few black olives, herbal tea

Still managed to keep on track the last couple of days, but I have been finding it more difficult just because it requires so much cooking and I have been busy with Mom in the hospital.  I always manage to bring some food with me and I have almost used it.  I find I am eating better in fact than I have in a long time, the right stuff all the time for a change.  My knees are back to hurting again, but the rest of me has deflated and my pants are starting to crawl down quite a bit.  I think I may have to take them in soon :-)

Today I had some pineapple and a banana for breakfast because I was in a hurry. 

Later had a coffee with coconut milk, thai coconut chicken with cauliflower rice 

A handful of mixed nuts and seeds in the afternoon

For supper I had some road pork that I had slow-cooked last night, with some applesauce, broccoli and spaghetti squash

I have found it challenging lately.  Last night I was trying to figure out what I wanted and figured I wanted something that crunched.  So I ate a bunch of small carrots and that seemed to do the trick.  What I find the most challenging is eating once you leave the house.  At home I'm OK, but out there everything seems to have flour, or sugar, or milk, or, or,.....  Not much out there for something to eat on the go. Every day I pass by Tim Hortons to get to my Mom at the hospital, and sometimes I stand in line to get a coffee or tea for someone.  Looking at all those donuts, muffins and pastries stirs strange feelings.  In a way they call to me because some of those things taste pretty good indeed, but in looking at them I also feel a sense of revulsion at their puffiness, how everything in them is processed and the fact they are so loaded with things that are no good for our health.  I find it almost strange that these foods have become part of our staples ... the power of sugar is really quite astounding!

Toughest day so far.... I ate within programme guidelines, but I did not feel like it at all  and frankly was tired of eating meat,  I think I'm on meat overdose :blink:  I love eating vegetables, but usually I can go a few days without meat just because I don't feel like eating it.  Tomorrow I'll go buy salmon to make a change.  I'm finding it challenging to remember why I decided to cut so many foods out of my diet... must be Whole30 amnesia !  Still, I persist for now hoping that feeling people talk about will kick in eventually.  For now I'm finding I lack motivation and think about food too much..  

Hi Symora,

I'm sorry you're having a tough time! I hope you're sticking with it, as it seems like you've been benefiting a lot in terms of your pain and inflammation!

It sounds like you might be getting fatigued with the same meals...I would encourage you to branch out, try something new. How about some tuna or chicken salad with homemade mayo and a side salad? If you like Mexican, make paleo tacos with chorizo and salsa and guacamole in lettuce wraps. Try to get some variety in there and you will likely be happier!

Archived